What helps you choose the right sitter?

Choosing the right sitter is a process and while the process is initially based on trust the information contained in a sitter’s profile allows an owner to make an informed and educated decision. When reviewing applications what motivates you to open a sitter’s profile and before opening up discussions with potential sitters, do you place more importance on:

1. Verifications, including full background checks
  2. Previous sitting experience
  3. Owner reviews
  4. Application message
  5. Profile presentation
  6. Photographs
5 Likes

Tough.
Understandable but tough.
Disheartening for new hopefuls; but the best way to get who is right for your pets, which is what matters in the end. It has to be right for BOTH sides.

3 Likes

This is an excellent question to ask and for us sitters to read answers to!

4 Likes

@Provence , thank you for your thoughtful answer. It is nice to hear that photos and feedback matters but also that you set a standard (such as language skill) and stick to it!

3 Likes

Very interesting and lengthy, thoughtful response. I must admit, I thoroughly read the ad and reviews of any previous sitters. It’s very easy to get an idea of the owners and pets. If satisfied it could be the sit for me I would write a very personalised application, as you say. It’s just like applying for a job. You wouldn’t send a standard application for a job, likewise you don’t when applying for a sit. I ask a few questions, such as can e.g. the dog travel in a car, be let off lead but save more questions once getting a positive response from the owner. I mention when I started housesitting and why, where I’ve been, bonding with animals and draw attention to my reviews. I end by offering a FaceTime/Zoom/Skype/telephone call should I be in the running. You certainly seem to offer more than most Housesitters such as a video. I do find it strange when the occasional owner doesn’t have any pictures of the animals with their ad.
Thanks again

3 Likes

Yes, I agree totally about glamorous photos of designer kitchens but nothing of the animals! We just had a sit cancelled (:microbe: of course) which had only dog & chicken photos and no idea what the house was like - we loved the look of it and were chosen but it was not to be :sob:

2 Likes

We often choose couples (or two people that sit together, not necessarily a “couple”), because we have three dogs, and one of them is heavier than the average adult (great dane). Before we got our great dane, we had single sitters, and we felt very comfortable with that, but managing the two smaller dogs AND the great dane on a walk is virtually impossible for one person. And of course the great dane doesn’t want to walk without the other two (my eyes are rolling but it’s true). We specifically look for someone who has experience with large dogs, or even larger animals like horses, because of the great dane. He is a very good dog, but he is just very large.

The other thing that is definitely not a must but always catches our eye, is when a sitter describes that they are handy around the house, or have experience with a pool. We have a pool and a dock and live on the coast in a hurricane-prone area, and we feel super confident about going away when we know that if a problem arises, it will probably be easily taken care of.

5 Likes

First I want to hear if they have experience with the the pets we have.

I am not usually interested in how much the applicant likes to travel to interesting places in the world. That makes me feel like my pets will be ignored because they just want to come and stay and play.

A genuine interest based on reviews and references that they have experience caring for the pets that we have, Is most important.

It is hard to choose someone for instance, to take care of our cats and poultry when all I see in their profile and reviews is taking care of dogs.

Sometimes an applicant has tried to convince me that they are the best choice, because they have never been to our state before. :kissing:

4 Likes

Angela, As an owner I am constantly surprised by the way sitters ignore details about my sit opportunity that I have taken great care to write.

The very first go through for me puts the people who respond to specific points I have made in the details as if they have really read what I am looking for. It never ceases to amaze me that so many people just write variations on this theme: “I am interested in your sit as that timeframe works for me!”.

So I would start with your #4 - Application Message - which will put the sitter in a bucket to further study their profile vs reject them.

6 Likes

Thank you again for your insightful response.

When looking at sitters who may not be achieving the level of success they’d hoped for, often the reason is the application message, reading the owner’s listing and crafting a personal response is so important, it’s akin to applying for a job … you get one chance to make a good first impression.

As an owner I had applications which simply read “I want to sit your house and I’m available” which didn’t motivate me to open their profile, the purpose of the application and owners taking that next step to open up communication.

Demonstrating that you really want to be considered for the sit and the reasons why is what owners are looking for … I always say to sitters imagine you are the owner, what is it you want to know, etc.

Sitters may counter this with “If owners don’t respond, why go to all that trouble” not getting responses can be frustrating, however try not to generalize each sit is different.

5 Likes

are you looking for a certain number of reviews from other Home Owners about a pet sitter?
Assuming a pet sitter has all great reviews, what is the minimum number of reviews about a pet sitter?

Hi @Pamela welcome to the forum and to TrustedHousesitters I have moved your comment to this conversation about choosing the right sitter, members will also be able to help with advice and guidance.

There are excellent articles on the website blog to help new members, owners and sitters, like this one 7 things to look for in a pet sitter | TrustedHousesitters.com … please follow the link and explore the forum conversations …

Choosing the sitter that is right for you and your pets is a process and the most important thing is communication to determine that the arrangement is right for everyone involved .

2 Likes

Hi @Pamela Although I read all reviews, we have also booked sitters who were brand new to the site and had no references at all…

6 Likes

Hi Foldor13
Thanks for your feed back on how you choice a sitter!
Pamela

1 Like

Hi Angela
Thanks Angela for the information you posted.
I read
7 things to look for in a pet sitter | TrustedHousesitters.com](7 things to look for in a pet sitter | TrustedHousesitters.com)

I learned a few things I had not considered before.
Thank you
Pamela

1 Like