What is your housing situation?

@anon80172330 Not sure of your financial situation but I have a friend that bought a couple of hotel rooms (a number of big brands are allowing people to buy the rooms). You get a split of the room rates and can used it yourself for a limited number of weeks a year.
I have another friend that does guardianship rental. Where you stay usually in a commercial space to protect from squatters for vastly reduced rent. Only issue with this is you usually have to be there for at least 3 months.

3 Likes

Wow, I didnā€™t know you could buy hotel rooms! This sounds like an interesting idea. Do you know if it applies to the UK? I have heard of guardianship rental and will look into this too, thank you.

1 Like

Hi @anon80172330 ,
Have you thought of having some sort of holiday accommodation like a static caravan or chalet on a holiday park?
You would still have to pay ground rent & im not sure how this would compare to a private home rent but it would give you a base to drop back to when you needed to and somewhere to store what you needed to
Smaller family parks would be cheaper than larger places. You would also have to factor in purchase of a caravan or lodge.
I dont know whether this would be doable for you. We live in quite a high rental area, so its a popular affordable way of living for some.

1 Like

Hi all,

we actually sold our flat and all other stuff. We do have now our two suitcases and thats it. We stored some more clothes and some important documents at my mother in law house and thats it.

THS is a way for us to live. The deal of pet sitting and house sitting is now our lifestyle. We do not know how long it will be, but for sure for some years.

We do not keep a homebase because that would be a waste of money and for sure we donā€™t have time to care for our own home as well and why should we pay for something we donā€™t use?

To be honestā€¦ it was a big relieve, kind of liberation to get rid of all the possession.

Have fun
Kerstin and Frank

7 Likes

Thanks @Gina! Funnily enough, I started to look into static caravans/ mobile homes yesterday. It seems like a viable option, if I were to purchase a cheap mobile home. Iā€™ll need to see what my landlord comes back to me with in terms of a rental increase and whether it will be in my best interests to move. My rent has been relatively low until now so it hasnā€™t been an issue, but that seems to be changing. Thank you for the suggestions!

2 Likes

This sounds like the dream! Freedom and not being tied down by possessions or to a particular place. I agree with you regarding a home base and not paying for somewhere you donā€™t use. I guess for me, itā€™s knowing I have a base to come back to between sits. If 2020 taught me anything, itā€™s that nothing is guaranteed, so I like that stability, but if the rent increases to by a substantial amount and I wonā€™t be there a lot of the time, it might be time for a changeā€¦

4 Likes

Our situation is similar to @KerstinAndFrank. We Looked at how to keep a place and travel and without the ability to rent it out it made no sense. Then we found house sitting. We travel full time (6 years now) but donā€™t house sit full time. As long as your accommodation costs (paid + house sitting) are equal or less than your monthly rent, you win! Easier or harder depending on cost of accommodation, availability of sits, etc. We average over a year roughly to allow for variation. If you want to save, adjust where youā€™ll be and how much sitting you do.

7 Likes

This little bit is a very big important tip that I personally have found to be very beneficial. it takes time to establish relationships and build a network but very well worth it.

4 Likes

Do you have a family or best friend that has a spare room? Once you either let go or store your belongings if you many then you will always have a base to come back to.
I guess it all depends on how many nights you are away from home. If youā€™re away 80% sitting then its not viable having your own place/ paying rent, take the plunge and become a nomad! its not like you canā€™t go back to renting somewhere if you donā€™t like it.

2 Likes

Hi Kerstin and Frank
A part of me would love to sell my home and all my belongings, I can understand where youā€™re coming from. However, Iā€™m housesitting and travelling full time and have rented out my home instead, which brings in an income and when I get tired of this nomadic lifestyle Iā€™m still on the property ladder.
What are you planning to do about a roof over your heads when youā€™ve had enough of this lifestyle? Iā€™d be interested to know.

2 Likes

This question deserves a topic of its own donā€™t you think Ms. Smiley? :wink:
Iā€™m ready, go!

2 Likes

Itā€™s come up before. I think it can work hereā€¦.so go ahead! :wink:

1 Like

First, I am going to say that I know what itā€™s like to have nothing.
I figured it out.
I always do.
and I know I can and will always figure it out.
Second, I know that I am never alone and never truly without anything. And that is probably the first thing and only thing I really need.

5 Likes

Ah the age old question.
The Pandemic changed everything for us. Our floating home couldnā€™t go anywhere because the world was in lockdown. We sold her and in a very sensible moment bought an apartment in a south of England seaside town where short term letā€™s are incredibly lucrative.
Will we move there when we get old and decrepit? I donā€™t know. Itā€™s ground floor, small low maintenance garden and walkable to everywhere so itā€™s ideal ā€¦ā€¦ but ā€¦ā€¦ I cannot imagine living there full time.
I like the idea of a group of like minded people buying a big old property and partying till, well, until we canā€™t party anymore then going out with a bang. Staff would have to be very tolerant!

12 Likes

aw Elsieā€¦ :hearts: :clap:t4: :partying_face:
That is the thing isnā€™t it. Once you see you canā€™t go back. I struggle imagining myself living anywhere long term. What is forever anyway?

I am enjoying living in the moment. Definitely I think about the future. But I have learned that I can not only survive but thrive. I will not let myself down.
I donā€™t know the end of my story, I am still creating this wonderful adventure. I refuse to ā€œplan for deathā€ I am too busy planning life.
I did a search for how many people own their own homes in the world.
Have a look itā€™s fascinating.

So what happens to all of us that donā€™t own?
We manage. We learn to live, or travel and party, till we just canā€™t no more. BUt life is RICH with what matters to me, us, them who live freely.
When you have already seen the depths of nothingness, you lose your fear of it.
I have seen and yep experienced being alone in a house where ā€œiā€™m safe and near the familyā€ā€¦waitingā€¦for what?
i refuse to go to assisted living, old age home. That is not in my storyline.
I will go in a blaze of glory on some adventure somewhere with a big fat grin and a very satisfied sigh will be my last breath.

15 Likes

@Amparo you sound like my friend, who is 85, and still do rock climbing and skiing!

4 Likes

Thank you, this is great advice. Iā€™m curious, for those who donā€™t have a base, what you do between sits, and how long this tends to be for? Do you feel added pressure to book sits as a result of this?

2 Likes

True. I do, but Iā€™ve lived alone for so long that I feel Iā€™d need my own space. I donā€™t think Iā€™m necessarily as nomadic as a lot of people here and a lot of the options just arenā€™t for me so itā€™s just about finding one that is, or continuing to rent. I have several upcoming sits and these coincide with rising rent, which is encouraging me to explore other options. As you rightly say, it makes no sense to pay rent when youā€™re away so much. The ideal situation for me would be a kind of negotiation with the landlord, and possibly helping them out with their own house and animals, but this isnā€™t going to happen in my current situation!

1 Like

@anon80172330 You might find this post relevant to your question: Filling the gaps for nomads who go from sit to sit

2 Likes

Thank you! That thread sounds perfect, Iā€™ll take a look :grinning:

1 Like