What is your housing situation?

@Amparo & @KerstinAndFrank loving your outlooks on life.
Completely agree, you dont need loads of stuff & life experience is rich.
Pretty much believe the less you have the happier you can be.
@anon80172330 im with you though & much as we love our travels I definitely appreciate a solid base too.

3 Likes

We are two people so we rarely have gaps but almost always an overlap. For gaps we stay in an Airbnb, some HOs will also offer to host us a bit longer. On Nomador you also have the option to do stop-overs (1 night). Especially in the past we were not too picky about sits if the dates / location were a match.

That sounds a great idea Elsie! Iā€™m in!

2 Likes

Love this comment. Especially about not being tied down to possessionā€™s or one place.

3 Likes

Actually we donā€™t know. We donā€™t plan that far away ahead.

Well, itā€™s worth keeping in mindā€¦
It looks like youā€™re about to start with your first housesit. Good luck with that and for the future. It really is a wonderful lifestyle and a wonderful way to meet lovely people, lovely pets and explore new places at home and abroad.

2 Likes

We are about to finish our first sit on THS. We did that before but without THS :slight_smile: The next one is in Florida, Colorado, Canada and then USA again.

1 Like

Hi Smiliey, we sold our home (South west UK) in 2016 and bought rental properties (North East UK) to gives us an income. We have been nomadic ever since. We are now 60/61. We hope to continue sitting for another 10 years.
When we give up sitting I see us just renting for 6 months at a time then moving somewhere else.
If our health fails we can either live in one of the rentals or sell them and buy somewhere more suitable for our needs.
During the pandemic we rented an Airbnb.

5 Likes

AirBnB, short term rentals, month to month rentals. There are always ways to fill gaps or take a break to rest body and mind. Many homeowners are struggling with debt, mortgage payments and other bills who would be very open to having a little extra income either on short term or longer term basis. I personally have had HOs offer me accomodation between sits and/or as an option should I desire to stay put for a bit in an extra room or have even been offered a caravan. Some have extended this invite for free while some have said they would be willing to rent a space for an agreed upon period. I have built relationships with people over the years. Itā€™s a wonderful feeling to know that these wonderful people are present in my life.
There are lots of things to discover, to learn that are possible that we often do not become aware of until we let go of the current situation.
Itā€™s akin to wanting to swim but afraid of leaving the side of the pool or the pier. It takes a lot of courage, hutzpah, time and patience with this. Itā€™s a process of growth and self discovery. You are already thinking and seeking ideas and more will come and be discovered.
You will figure out something that is right for you.
I wish you all the very best.

8 Likes

That was very wise. Do you have any issues with HMRC and have you an address in the UK for post etc? Do you have a letting agent for the properties?

Hi Smiliey, no issue with HMRC as I pay tax, we have a family member that looks after our rentals and post. We spend half our time house sitting in the UK, a quarter of our time living in Thailand and a quarter of our time sitting internationally.
Hope this helps

3 Likes

Thank you for such sage advice! I think for me, itā€™s a balance between taking the leap and also maintaining an element of stability that is necessary for my job and also my mental health, and Iā€™m not sure what that looks like at the moment. I donā€™t really want to jump into an entirely new lifestyle without considering the longer term implications of this, which is why renting looks like the most viable option, at least for now. Itā€™s great that you have been offered accommodation from HOs in between sits. We have a great community here and there are so many HOs who welcome you into their home with open arms. A similar thing happened to me during the pandemic when I a couple I was due to sit for offered me their holiday apartment to stay in.

4 Likes

Great line-up! Where in Canada will you be visiting? :slightly_smiling_face:

Close to Toronto

It sounds like youā€™ve got it all worked out. Lucky to have a family member look after your rentals.

We own a house but are busy house sitting so much we do think should we get some money from it/wasting money paying for it! However, I WFH and dont want the stress of having to go for sits or make extra arrangements. If i wasnt working Iā€™d feel more free but having a full time job i like the ease of keeping own place. With fuel bills on the rise i think house sitting over winter (and our house empty) will probably be enough of a money saverā€¦

2 Likes

We sold everything and went around the world for 3 years 2012-4. I grew tired of the constant fast movement, so we settled down for 6 years. Then I was ready to go again, this time traveling slowly.

Pet sitting has definitely helped. So has building community, here on the forum, with people we pet sit for and in other ways. As has moving slowly, typically a month or more in each place. This time feels like it will last until our health says we have to slow down. We pet sit about a third of the time and stay in vacation rentals the other times. We donā€™t ever feel like we have to accept just any sit. We also plan well in advance, typically 6-12 months out.

When the time comes to stop traveling, weā€™ll figure it out. Indepent living by the beach like my mom, getting a small place with support staff in a beautiful location where they rever the elderly (and living costs are reasonable), who knows. Our cost of living is dramatically lower than when we had the house full of stuff, so weā€™re saving our pennies for the day when our worlds get much smaller.

Until then, weā€™re like kids in a candy store, sampling a little of this and a little of that.

9 Likes

Hi Timmy. Can you please explain what Nomador is? Cheers!

It is another platform like THS.

Could someone shed some light? I think I read somewhere that a poster mentioned obtaining lower prices for last-minute Airbnbs. Is this a thing? Do you have to enquire when you book, or do the prices automatically reflect that?

1 Like