What is your housing situation?

I think it’s @Colin who’s mentioned this. I’ve tagged him, but he has said they’re finishing a sit today, so be patient for his response please.

2 Likes

Definitely. Lots of ways to get discounts. Put your query in Google and do a search.
Again, do not be put off ever to speak to a host. Be that on Airbnb, THS (where there is a will there is a way) or even a hotel.
Last minute and long term would be the most favorable for negotiating.
Not asking is the biggest way to discount oneself from a great opportunity.
I have done all of the above and in another life, golly I’ve had a great life, I worked in the hotel industry. A room occupied is better than an empty one.
Had to come back to add :relaxed:
People are hurting everywhere. They want and need other people and those of us who are looking for spaces are the ones that can help.
I have a long term commitment coming up, on Airbnb and my host and I are both thrilled.

4 Likes

Hi @botvot . We were Airbnb hosts for many years before we started housesitting and often were asked for discounts on long stays or last-minute stays. Sometimes we said no for example if the long stay covered a few premium holiday weekends or if the last minute booking was for tomorrow but we were not currently in town so it would be more effort than it was worth for us.

However, we often said yes too. Someone wanting to book 12 weeks during our quietest period would be in a perfect place to negotiate a good deal with us, or if our apartment was empty for the next two days, and today we had an enquiry asking for a discount we were always happy to oblige - Our apartment was normally priced at £150 per night, if someone offered us £200 for the next two night to us, the decision is, do we want to earn £200 or nothing - its a no brainer really in my opinion.

When we book Airbnbs now if booking last minute or long term we always ask for a discount, be prepared to occasionally be told no and on the very rare occasions for a host to be deeply offended that you dared ask but most hosts are happy to offer a deal.

You have to contact the host before booking, explain you love their place but unfortunately, it’s slightly over your budget and would they consider £x’s?

They will then send you a ‘special price’ for you to agree to.

If you don’t ask - you don’t get :wink:

7 Likes

As an Airbnb host in the south of England, on the border between Dorset, Wiltshire and Hampshire I lower my prices for any vacant days within a week. As others say, at least I’m getting something towards my costs.
I also leave a card in the apartment with my details so if a guest wants to book direct they will get a 15% (airbnbs %) saving immediately. Some guests have been known to get a bargain during the winter when things are slow.

8 Likes

Thanks so much for answering @Amparo @Colin @ElsieDownie - you echoed what my Grannie taught me: If you don’t ask, you don’t get.

6 Likes

Good or not so good idea. ?

Could we make a list of empty house / apartment / condo while their THS occupants are gone petsitting and no-one is home ? So we could "apply " to stay free between two sits in the area ? Brain storming here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry not free but if anyone wanted to stay I’d give them a good rate.

2 Likes

Well. Either way. Could be specified on the listing.

Why do you think I sold my house? :laughing:
Too many family members had this idea for too long…

There is a link to it on my profile with my reviews from my guests. It’s another way of showing how responsible I am!