What odd item do you always travel with?

It’s a SPoon on one end, fORK on the other :slight_smile: One edge of the fork is serrated so it’s sort of a knife too (though limited in cutting ability). Buy Spork original BIO - Official Store

Thank you :clap:

1 Like

Definitely can’t do that if you don’t have checked bags. :wink:

1 Like

I have one as well but it folds in half which is quite handy.

2 Likes

If I’m taking a carry on bag I take a hot water bottle unless I know for sure that everywhere I’m going has one. I try not to turn on any heat unless it’s absolutely freezing.
If I’m doing a short sit and only taking a large shoulder bag I don’t have room for one but a couple of home owners bought one specially for me, one owner even made me a pretty cover for it.
I think, if they know I’ll be keeping their energy bills down, they are happy to purchase one for me.

3 Likes

After many sits where homeowners have kindly offered me use of their bike, I now always carry a small multipurpose bike tool with me to adjust seat and handlebar height and make minor tuneups. I’m surprised at how many people don’t seem to own bike tools. This is very small and easy to travel with and has come in handy many times.

5 Likes

I know those sits where a bicycle is supposedly available. I’ve been disappointed enough that now I bring my own bike.

@DMcat yes, I know what you mean. Many promised bikes haven’t seen daylight for many years - flat tyres, dusty, cobwebby, squeaky…I used to get excited at the prospect of a bicycle, but now I don’t get my hopes up until I see the bike. Got lucky with my last two sits and enjoyed a lovely sunset cycle many days.

1 Like

Nice! I had one that had a bike without brakes. That was a hard no. Lol.

A nite light, rubber gloves, and my Chanel lipsticks!

3 Likes

We now have a portable Anysharp Knife Sharpener we take to sits.

So many kitchens in homes we’ve sat in look like a lot of cooking gets done but so often the knives are very blunt! Thanks to one of our UK sits this year, that had sharp knives and so many cool gadgets, we bought the same knife sharpener as the home owner. It’s brilliant & easy to use, suctions on to the counter top & in 3-4 swipes you have a beautifully sharpened knife. It’s so small it fits in the palm of my hand. It will be going to every sit with us, even overseas. It cost AUD$24.95 from Amazon.

Here’s a photo. You’re welcome!

9 Likes

@Crookie what a great little gadget! :+1:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Great addition @Crookie - I know it wasn’t on this post but it reminded me that I saw pics of your UK tour and very minimal bagage (like us). I think I remember you saying you’re heading back to GB next year. Top tip for UK trains and buses is one of those old granny wheel trolleys (granny carts) for the supermarket extras as you move between sits. Cheap, light, have wheels, versatile, can slot between seats on our little trains and good for the journeys and the walks to shops once in residence. They are not cool but a godsend (we use them for beer at festivals) :bulb::+1:t3: somewhere like Argos or Wilkos have cheap ones :raised_hands:t3::two_hearts:

2 Likes

@Cuttlefish I did seriously think about getting a granny shopping cart when we were in the UK but so glad we didn’t. With a small wheelie bag and back pack each it was much easier with a canvas shopping bag each that we could attach on top of the wheelie bags with a bunge cord when using crowded buses and trains on transit days. Often there were no available luggage storage racks and we had to nurse our bags on our laps and under our legs, it would have been too difficult with another upright non collapsing bit of luggage.

2 Likes

We often travel all over the US in our little Miata convertible. I try to squeeze in collapsible fishing gear which can be a challenge. I’ve learned to use all available space even under the hood.

1 Like

Collapsible kettles are the best thing.
I’ve also traveled with coffee beans and a coffee grinder, especially if I have a late/early flight and stay at an Airbnb where coffee in the morning might not be easily accessible.

1 Like

I bring a kitchen sponge on sits, because I don’t know if theirs is clean.

I might bring one of these if I travel to where grocery deliveries aren’t available and I have no car: https://www.amazon.com/Durable-Carabiner-Stroller-Pushchair-Grocery/dp/B01C305JVO/ref=zg_bs_g_8446256011_sccl_7/142-2192338-2291446?psc=1

I carry a knee-length hoodie, which serves as outerwear or layering, or a robe, or for countries where you need to cover up culturally. If I had to sleep on iffy bedding, I’d use my hoodie as a buffer.

I don’t bring anything unusual. I like to travel light and keep things simple.

1 Like

Cafetiere, ground coffee and china mug.

Most essential is my soppy fox red Labrador, Rohan.

9 Likes