What’s your top tip for new house sitters?

My current host has two listings I cannot do for her. She has ~15 applicants each. She told me today she is pausing the listings until such time she can review and give them the attention they deserve. She is overwhelmed with the number of applicants. Her words.
That being said, she is working, taking care of her home, animal responsibilities, preparing for my arrival (she has gone out of her way to assure my comfort and enjoyment), and now she is traveling.
People do what they need to do and some do it very well.

There is a queen (or King) ready to try that slipper.

3 Likes

It’s a video game reference, if you didn’t get it, I was trying to be funny.

1 Like

Hi everyone!
We have been TH members for about 5 years now.
We recently had a sit cancel so have relisted the dates and are receiving some applications, mostly from new sitters
My top tip would be to make sure you read the home owners listing before applying. Nearly all of the applicants have not done this eg. Clearly states transport required but they have none, clearly states no super fast broadband but applicant works from home and requires it. It’s quite frustrating on several levels.
Firstly it doesn’t look good if a new applicant hasn’t bothered to read the listing! Secondly, it’s just a waste of everyone’s time!
Hope this comes accross on the constructive way it’s meant!

4 Likes

It is great to have a detailed Welcome Guide, but one detail I would find helpful is current information especially with plant care. I don’t believe in people having green thumbs. It is a science. So leaving information about when the indoor plants were last watered will make following the WG much easier. :grin:

6 Likes

Don’t water the indoor plants once a week if the HO asks for it without checking out the plant’s condition first. Sometimes the soil is dry a half inch below the surface and it needs watering sooner. Sometimes the HO waters the heck out of it prior to leaving and you have to wait for the soupy mess to dry out some before watering it a week and a half later. If you have questions after the HO leaves, use Google Lens to identify the plant and check out the watering instructions.

3 Likes

Got detailed instructions for some of the plants. Some were not listed and were evidently added since the guide was put together. I have had indoor plants and lived from the fern-friendly north to the Arizona desert and have learned by using your ideas for over 50 years. Bonsai are tricker to deal with. Just a tip for all to think about when knowing there are indoor plants, arriving for a sit, to question…especially when you arrive and the host has left already.

1 Like

Thank you. I followed the owner’s 10 day watering instructions and the tips of the plant leaves turned brown.

2 Likes

New tip!!

Do not text HO (from months ago) out of the blue to promote your Etsy site/TikTok channel etc.

2 Likes

Hi @Katie … Sorry to hear that a member is using the messaging system in this way, which of course should not be happening. I’ve just direct messaged you. Best, Vanessa

5 Likes

I didn’t realize how good getting my first 5 star review was going to make me feel.
It was sweet!

8 Likes

I remember it well AND every review after that … no matter how many you get the feeling is still SWEET!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :clap: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

This comment by @Angela_L before the product update really highlights the issues both HOs and sitters will have with a system that artificially forces everyone to rush through applications and messages prior to confirming! Tagging for @Ben-ProductManager as feedback :slight_smile:

Excellent idea! That one will be going on my checklist.:thinking:

These are the secret to manifesting your dreams!

I’m still new round here myself and currently on my 3rd sit since joining.
For me I agree with starting local. You get a feel for things in familiar territory.
Communication is a biggie. Don’t think you can over communicate.
Flexibility. Learnt this on my current sit with fight issues for both the HO and myself.

2 Likes

Hi @richten1 I hope you mean flight issues, not fight issues. :anguished:

@Snowbird Omg. Yes flight not fight! Sorry my dyslexia can make me post some interesting sentences sometimes! Thanks for pointing it out.

2 Likes

Hi @richten1 - just so you know , you can edit your post by clicking on the ‘pen’ icon below it

Absolutely! When I eventually list my house, I would want the sitter to reply to me in a timely manner and they would get it back in return.

That means different things to different people. You would need to define and agree with the sitter(s).

1 Like