What to ask a sitter applicant

I feel as if this must have been asked elsewhere, but I can’t seem to find it. We just had our first applicant (yay!), and they seem like a great fit (double yay!). We had an initial phone call, but will be setting up a video call next week sometime. I’m not sure what I should be asking on this call. Should I take them on a virtual tour of my house? They are first timers, and so are we, so we’re figuring this out together! Any advice would be great!!
Thanks!

3 Likes

@JudyY this is a great question and you can find many different answers here on the forum. Click on the spyglass at the top of the page and type in something like “sitter questions during video chat” and you can find lots of valuable info or click Sitters Need a Phone/Video Call Before we are Booked! - Owner & Sitter Exchange - TrustedHousesitters Community Forum where you will see this topic discussed.

I feel a two way conversation filled with questions and answers in necessary to make sure you know what to expect. My most important questions were always about elaborating on a statement in the profile about feeding, walking, meds, etc., so there are no surprises.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks! I will use those search phrases. When I looked before, I mostly found things about what the SITTER should ask - also helpful, but not quite what I was looking for.

Hello @JudyY, That is great that you have your first application and are in the process of setting up a video call.

I found this topic which should be helpful:

Also for further on, when you are at your first handover stage these blog posts really helps, there is one for sitters and one for owners:

The forum is always here to help members get started and answer any questions, feel free to reach back out if you need further help.

This is so great! Thank you so much! What a lovely community this is!

5 Likes

Thank you so much for the info…very helpful to this newbie

1 Like

Excited for u…this is my first time looking for a sitter…my nerves…lol

1 Like

Hi All. We are also about to start interviewing for our first sitter so the links and info here are great. Feels apprehensive but excited at the same time. thank you for all the great links

5 Likes

Have a friendly professional chat expressing your requirements … and just as important, ask them theirs.

3 Likes

@Angela64 I am glad that the resources helped, that sounds like a perfectly normal mix of feelings :grin: Good luck with your first set of video calls and feel free to ask any questions - we are here to help!

2 Likes

What do you see yourself doing in the future? What do you like to do in your free time? Do you have any hobbies or do you pursue any interests outside of work? Do you have any dietary restrictions?

Edited to comply with posting guidelines

Hello @Chatris and a warm welcome to the Community Forum and thank you for joining in the conversation. :slightly_smiling_face: