I have had 3 sitters apply. After the first one I waited a while and then found they had agreed to go elsewhere. The second was coming from abroad specially, and I was worried that the Covid rules might change at the last minute, so she is waiting to hear from me. The third was my favourite and I invited them, they asked me to wait a while, and have now applied. Should I just say yes to them or speak to them first, and make further investigations?
Speak to them. I am a sitter, but same thing, I always want to have a little chat with possible owners. That way both can ask questions/share info and see if they are a good fit for one another.
Hi @Sallyann and I’m glad to hear you’ve had 3 applications.
I do agree with @Els. As sitters we never accept a sit without a chat first, either phone or video, whichever works best for you both. You’ll have seen many times in conversations here on the forum that communication is key. So often when something has a less than positive outcome it’s because owners and sitters have different expectations and time hasn’t been taken to make sure you are a great fit for each other.
It acts as an ice-breaker too… you get a better feel for each other, can organize arrangements for handovers, chat more about the pets and their routines, find out a little more about your sitters and their travel plans. You’ll be amazed at how many things you’ll end up chatting about that you maybe hadn’t thought about before. It’s an opportunity to check that there aren’t any unanswered questions.
Here’s another thread you might find helpful…
Good luck and do let us know how it goes. All the best, Vanessa