What to do while house sitting in East Grinstead, Sussex, UK

We are in East Grinstead at the moment. I would highly recommend a visit to the Bluebell railway for a trip back in time . It is right next to the main East Grinstead train station .
A lovely ride on a Steam Train through four beautifully preserved stations.

8 Likes

Will keep that in minnd @Colin for when we are there in December. Happy to hear more of your East Grinstead recommendations, particularly any local accommodation for a 1 night pre sit stay.

2 Likes

I’ll endorse that @Colin as we thoroughly enjoyed this steam train ride back in 2015!

5 Likes

Hi @Crookie - you will love it here - there is so much to see and do!

The 291 bus runs regularly along a long route and links Crawley to Tunbridge Wells with East Grinstead being in the middle of both . ( It stops outside East Grinstead Train Station)

The countryside here is beautiful and has lots of really nice walking routes. There is a walk called the Forest way which is nice and will be good for December as it is hard under foot - It runs from East Grinstead City Centre ( opposite Sackville College ) to Forest row. In total 10 miles each way but obviously you can go as far as you want then turn around.

There is a lovely little village called Hartfield which is a 15 minute drive.( The 291 bus stops here) This was the home of A.A. Milne, the author of Winnie the Pooh’ so lots of places in the books are based on places in this area - Including a lovely little tea shop called ‘Pooh corner’ which is the original shop that Christopher Robin used to visit for his sweets

Depending on where you are sitting - we are in Ashhurst wood - A village about a 10 minute drive out of the city centre (or on the 291 bus)and stayed in a nice hotel for one night - comfortable, quiet, free parking, strong WiFi in every room and very friendly staff for £50 - I would really recommend it.

6 Likes

Always worth a visit. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you so much @Colin for the great local tips. We will be sitting at a place half way between East Grinstead & Ashurstwood. It would be funny if we are sitting for the same people!

1 Like

I’ll be housesitting not far from there and hope to visit ‘The Repair Shop’ :wink:

4 Likes

There’s Sheffield Park & Garden (NT) near the Bluebell Railway which is well worth a visit too, @Crookie. The train actually stops nearby so you could combine both.

3 Likes

Funnily enough Jay has a workshop about 5 minutes from our house in Shropshire, our last sitters actually met him and he made a selfie video for her mum who is a big fan. Seems like he’s a lovely man even when there’s no cameras rolling.

3 Likes

Yes, I get the impression he’s genuinely nice