What's the one holiday or seasonal food item you can't resist?

omg please tell me you have a picture of Sassy at the dinner table @Debbie-L ? That’s so precious!!!

1 Like

@Julie_A Here you go! Miss that girl so much!

7 Likes

A top quality Panettone for me please! None of the heinous choc chip or peel-free versions either. Tre Marie is the best, yum!

2 Likes

aww, don’t yuck another person’s yum!

For hanukkah - latkes or potato pancakes with applesauce and sour cream.

For new years day - growing up in New Orleans -
blackeyed peas and rice - probably because of the proverb - eat poor on New Years day, be rich the rest of the year.
peas

and cabbage or collard greens - because they are green, like money!
And I used to go to a friend’s for Christmas ever in Minnesota and we always had lutefisk.
tom

8 Likes

This year I am experiencing new traditions. Last weekend I was invited to the home of my upcoming holiday sit for socializing and acclimation of huge home, animals and neighborhood.

Not a big meat eater but when In Uruguay be Uruguayan! OMG does not suffice.
The “fire pit” barbecue is what is called a parilla (grill) but this is a whole other meaning and experience. A covered outdoor space connected to a bungalow, “barbacoa” specifically made for entertaining and fully equipped with kitchen, lounge, and dining for many… all separate from main house.
The yellow thingies are grilled provolone cheese smothered in oregano.
My sit officially starts on the 26th but they are picking me up so we can do this all over again with the entire extended family Christmas Eve.

Happy Christmas everyone and happy Summer/winter solstice.
Faith and hope for new beginnings.

11 Likes

How fortunate you are to be hosted for the Christmas Eve feast. You have a way of attracting the best of those around you!

Happy solstice to you, too @Amparo!

5 Likes

I am blessed beyond words.
Thank you Lovely.
May all your dreams come true.

4 Likes

@toml those both look delicious! I love latkes and of course, coming from the South, I always enjoyed blackeyed peas on New Years!

2 Likes

@geoff.hom that fruitcake looks soooo good! :yum:

1 Like

@Debbie-L that is the most precious photo! Thank you for sharing :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::dog:

1 Like

Mince meat pie! Hard to find here in Florida.

I’ve just embarked on a first for Christmas Day… as part of our dishes I’m preparing a Turkish white bean salad or “fasulye piyazı”. No tinned beans for me… we’ve soaked our Turkish beans for 11 hours (as per the instructions - why 11 and not 10 or 12… only time will tell!!), and I’m out to buy the secret ingredient “sumac” (a crimson red, astringent spice) for which there is apparently no substitute! We’ll have a selection of dishes including my new favorite “Gozleme” (flat savory pockets usually filled with salty white cheese, spinach or minced beef). We are really looking forward to our alternative Turkish Christmas dinner which will be followed by Lokum (Turkish Delight) and some of the lovely nutty pastries and honey.

Photo courtesy of CNN

5 Likes

Hey @Vanessa_A you seem to be integrating very effectively when it comes to the Turkish diet! I haven’t seen in your posts exactly where you are though. We used to live in Istanbul & some of the foods you have mentioned bring back drooly memories. Have you had Açma for breakfast yet, or simit? I’m afraid I’ll never agree with your lokum addiction though :nauseated_face:
Merry Christmas to you & enjoy your Türk Bayramı. Çok delicious :joy:

3 Likes

@Vanessa_A that sounds delicious

1 Like

Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark

2 Likes

A big welcome to the forum @Onawire
It’s nice to see you here and I am sure you will have good reads here on the forum. Thank you for contributing.

I discovered the Lindt Dark Chilli Chocolate a few years back on a cat sit in Zurich (the Lindt factory was literally down the road) and it always reminds me of cat sitting, holidays and the Zurich lake.

Their peppermint one is not too shabby either :-/

What memories bring back your taste for dark chocolate peppermint bank?

3 Likes