What's the one holiday or seasonal food item you can't resist?

For most of us, traveling to new areas includes trying local and regional favorites. We love them and can’t wait to try as many as possible, but then…….if it is a Holiday Season…we start to miss those traditions we grew up with gathering around the table with family and friends!

What is your favorite Holiday tradition that brought you back to the table year after year and still holds all those fondest memories? Share that tradition with all of us as I know I love hearing about all things regional! And if you are traveling, will you be feasting on your old time favorites or indulging in the local cuisine?

For me, the American holiday of Thanksgiving is my all time favorite. Not only is it the great food, but also it is just a time to gather at the table, share memories of days gone by and let all those know we are thankful for having one another. It is just about fellowship and not about gifts.

Our Thanksgiving Holiday always has an abundance of family members as well as those extended family members who are close friends. Two years ago, during the Pandemic and when we still had our little Sassy Girl, we weren’t able to gather around together, so it was just my husband, Sassy and I sitting at the outdoor table, enjoying turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and all the rest of the traditions (and yes, Sassy sat in her own chair and had a handkerchief tied around her neck). She had such great table manners and always waited until Daddy put more on her plate, then ever so gently took it off the plate and DEVOURED!

PLEASE SHARE AS WE MOVE INTO THE TIME WHERE TRADITIONS ARE STRONGEST!

6 Likes

I can’t say No to a warm, freshly baked Hot Cross Bun!
Come to that, I can’t say no to most yummy foods, but this immediately flashed in my mind…hmmm, wouldn’t mind one now :yum:

3 Likes

@botvot I absolutely love Hot Cross Buns. Now you have me wanting one!

2 Likes

I love Turkish Delight at Christmas, the only time I eat it

3 Likes

I’ve got some in my pantry @Smiley!!!

4 Likes

Stollen cake. I can eat a whole one all to myself. But alas, not this Christmas. I’ve just been diagnosed as gluten intolerant and I can’t find a gluten free one.

4 Likes

Crumpets with brandybutter are my guilty pleasure on Christmas mornings.

4 Likes

Fruitcake? From Collin Street Bakery!

5 Likes

Guess what we had last night in Turkiye?? However, as 2 sweet tooth’s with no self control we ate the whole (small) pack! It was delisiously authentic with hazelnuts, :lemon: and sprinkled with finely grated coconut. I’m testing them out for our Christmas stash!

6 Likes

That sounds quite disgusting, but maybe no more disgusting than my, non Christmas, favourite of Marmite on toasted tea cakes!

How can you keep it without raiding it?!

Will power… and not being home at present @Smiley!!!

1 Like

Bacon and eggs on the bbq with mimosas for Christmas Day breakfast with the temperature already near 30 degrees at 8am. Then cold Christmas ham with mango, prawn, avocado & macadamia salad washed down with an ice cold sparkling shiraz. It’s going to be a bit different for us in the UK this year to our hot humid Queensland Christmas.

2 Likes

Note to self, must have a Queensland Christmas soon.

4 Likes

:christmas_tree: Family favorites :christmas_tree:

Braised Red Cabbage … From Delia Smith

5 Likes

What is this @Angela_L

Hi @Crookie oops missed naming the dish, thank you for asking … have now included :wink:

It’s Braised Red Cabbage with port and apple … the port can be left out but it does elevate the festive flavors.

1 Like

But a summer Christmas is just not the same……

This is my eighth warm Christmas in a row and I love them. I lived in the Highlands of Scotland for over 20 years. Bring on the sun and temperature above 22C.

2 Likes

I’ve done several too but I will always prefer a cold Christmas. Mind you, I guess it wasn’t snowing and cold in Bethlehem! :joy: