When a pet passes away

Hi everyone. First time posting although I do read the discussions from time to time.

I think this may be a question, a comment and possibly a suggestion but I’d be interested in your thoughts.

I had a repeat sit coming up which was due to start today for a gorgeous elderly Labrador. It was for three weeks as her pet parents were going to Australia to visit their daughter. Unfortunately, lovely Milly passed shortly after Christmas and they messaged me to let me know. I’ve cared for her several times and was pretty upset and they were heartbroken.

Here’s the question etc.

They were really good to let me know via WhatsApp but neither them nor I could find any helpful advice on the site re cancellation and in the meantime
I was asked to do another repeat sit but couldn’t accept because I was booked to look after Milly and her mum and dad didn’t know how to cancel. They then managed to do that but it showed their sit as live again for a few days which must have been terrible for them given their loss.

Is there a better way for TH to deal with this including adding some info that comes up readily on a search?

I didn’t “need” the sit due to travelling or similar, I just wanted to hang out with Milly but asking people who are grieving to do battle with the system so you can be released to accept something else is hard as I couldn’t give them any help or do anything from my side.

The pet owners also said they felt terrible sending me a cancellation when they worked out how to do it because it felt so rude.

Anyway, a plea for a bit more guidance that’s easy to search when a pet passes would be helpful I think, particularly in making sure owners know how to cancel (and how to do it without it popping up as a live ad again) so as not to disadvantage sitters who need to plan for travel or accommodation reasons.

If anyone has any other ideas or has experienced this before and has a link or a steer to help make it less painful please feel free to share.

Thanks everyone.

2 Likes

Seems like the quickest, least painful thing to do would’ve been for them to contact membership services if they couldn’t figure out how to cancel on their own. Then MS could’ve canceled their sit, which would’ve freed you up as well.

3 Likes

Thanks @Maggie8K. I agree with you and wonder if in the search/q and a area TH could put something obvious in that is easy to find and tells people what to do. That would feel both helpful and kind.

Thanks for responding :blush:

Yes maggie!

1 Like

I’ve had a pet pass away and it is heartbreaking. I’d suggest they remove the dates from the site. If they go their “your listing” and then “edits dates” they can delete the dates. That’s the quickest way. And my heart goes out to them.

2 Likes

Hello, @EmmaJ What a kind and thoughtful post, I’m really sorry to hear of the owner’s loss. There is a help desk article that might have helped as well, I can also feedback to Membership Services who own the help desk about maybe adding an article of what to do in that specific situation as it’s such a stressful and sad time for everyone.

The owner can also opt out of Marketing emails in their settings menu or Membership Services can help them as at times like this they might not want to receive these types of communications.

@EmmaJ Thank you for sharing this experience and feedback and for everyone who commented with kind words and help.

@sisbeaperkins Sorry for your loss, they leave paw prints on our hearts :paw_prints: :heart:

1 Like