When should I start panicking that I haven't found a sitter yet?

Hi @Kelownagurl Just to clarify one point. When a forum member is very new, their link is not clickable. It’s all to do with the Discourse platform configuration. However, usually in a relatively short time, once the member has been active on the forum, the link will be clickable. I’m just sharing this here as others may wonder about theirs, when they first join the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hello @katehudson1966 and welcome to the forum. I’ve only quickly read your listing, so I’ll just focus on one main point that jumped out at me. I suggest you tag your listing as ‘family friendly’, if you would agree to a family staying at your home. You seem to have the space to accommodate a family and that would open up your listing to more sitters.

1 Like

Oh that explains it then, thanks!

Hi @Tolleys I agree with the comments here about really needing internal pictures of the areas of the house the sitters can use, and where they will sleep. Sitters might assume the house is a building site or something with no photos.
More details in the responsibilities section about Poppy, and the chickens. More about Poppy’s character.
I wonder if some people see the title Tolleys Farm and think they will have to manage a working farm? Maybe rethink that, and add wider location to the title (Dorset? or South West England?)as that would catch my attention.
Your sit sounds lovely and I have no doubt you will get applications once you make those tweaks.

2 Likes

thank you for taking time to look at my listing and thats a great idea, thank you

1 Like

Thanks @AllyMac , that’s really useful. I’m happy to confirm that Tolleys Farm is neither a building site nor a working farm! I will definitely tweak the title, which I originally had as something to do with being near Chard. Funnily enough, I thought that was what was putting people off as Chard isn’t the nicest of places!
I will add some internal photos so that people know our home is very comfortable, with no renovations in sight, and will clarify that no farm work is required!
Many thanks for your advice which is much appreciated.

Excellent advice @Colin , many thanks for this. To be honest, it hadn’t even occurred to us to include some internal photos, so I will definitely be putting this right!

Many thanks :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks @southernsitter, this is some really useful advice. I don’t know why, but when we made our profile it didn’t even occur to us to put some internal photos up! Now that you say it, it makes total sense, so I will get on to that.
The public transport / use of our car is an interesting one too. There definitely isn’t public transport here, so we assumed that sitters would have their own car. We are going to look into what insurance issues there might be with sitters using our car and I’ll update our profile accordingly.
Many thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Excellent suggestions! Many thanks, I will definitely say a bit more about Poppy and the chickens. We’ve only had them a few weeks, so we’re still getting used to them ourselves! I can understand that sitters will want to know how much work they are committing themselves to though, so will make sure that’s clear. Thanks for your helpful advice :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks for this @anon36831737 , I really hadn’t thought about this, but it makes a lot of sense. There are still so many unknowns out there that I can totally understand why people don’t want to book things too far in advance. By the sound of it your house owners were incredibly lucky to have you!

2 Likes

Hi @Tolleys
I have the same problem, my advert went live on 15th April and we need sitters for June too, I think I’ve attached it to my profile and hopefully it can be viewed. Any advice would be gratefully received. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Shhh, @Tolleys!! Anyway, surely everyone knows that Chard is the home of powered flight :wink: You could mention that you’re in between two areas of outstanding natural beauty (AONB) - the Blackdown Hills and Dorset. You’ve got Forde Abbey and Barrington Court nearby, it’s not far to the Jurassic Coast (30 mins to Lyme Regis??), there’s Ferne Animal Sanctuary. It’s a wonderful area!

And mention if Poppy’s up for days out - does she travel well in the car, like the beach, etc.

Hi @Sally1959 - you’ve attached the preview of your listing [which we cant open].

Instructions here: How to add a listing or profile link to your FORUM profile

Basically, you need to “find yourself” as though you were a sitter looking for a sit and add that link.

Hi @Ketch thank you for that, I’ll try and sort it

Hi again @Ketch. Hopefully it should work now :blush:

It works! I just clicked the link.
A suggestion: put either a picture of your dog as the first one or a nice one of the living area. Many sitters will scroll by when a picture of landscape is the listing picture.
How about that? I took three screenshots from your listing and made these collages similar to mine.
Feel free to use one of them if you like! Or let me know if you would like any other pictures. It’s quickly done and with a profile picture like this you will definitely stand out.

5 Likes

Haha!! Thanks @Ketch for giving me a chuckle! And also for more valuable suggestions for how to improve our profile. I do believe that we live in a beautiful place, and one day I really must visit the Chard Museum, I’ve heard it’s very good!

Thank you for that, a great suggestion, and thank you for the offer of using one of your collages, I may well use one, if i can’t work out to do it😂

1 Like

Do you use a computer or a tablet? I use an iPad and when I tap on a picture and hold my finger on it for a second longer, a menu pops up and I can save it to my files or photos. It should also work by clicking the right mouse button with a windows computer, but I am not familiar with this, because I know only Apple devices.

This is what it looks like (in German) when I tap and hold.

Hi, I use an apple ipad too, I’ll have a go at that today, so watch this space. Thank you :relaxed:

1 Like