When the pet owner returns and doesn't message

Am I alone in expecting the pet owner to message upon returning? If I don’t receive a message, I assume something was wrong or that they weren’t happy when they return. I freak out a bit with worry.

What is other peoples experience?

3 Likes

@Squirrel I can understand your question and I feel this is the proper thing to do, but not all pet parents are alike and may feel they don’t need to advise you when they are home. I want to know the pets are safe and sound myself and if I weren’t to hear from them, I would just contact them myself to ease my mind.

2 Likes

@Squirrel I completely agree with @Debbie-L and if you haven’t heard from them then I would contact them to check, if you have it I would send them a quick WhatsApp message :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I would always message if I didn’t see the sitter upon my return, although I would rather see them if possible……

3 Likes

On the rare occasion we have left a sit before the homeowner’s return I always message them (not via the THS website) to check they have arrived home safely.
We only leave with the owner’s permission (and never leave a dog for more than 3 hours).

1 Like

Usually sitters keep a WhatsApp text going, so as both a host and a sitter, I let sitters know when I arrive and may ask homeoners to confirm once they are home. Avoiding assumptions and having clear communication is the way to go, I’ve found. None of us want our furry friends to be without care should something happen.

2 Likes

@Foldor13 absolutely, I completely agree, we would much prefer to always meet the homeowner in person on their return, sometimes for one reason or another the homeowner just prefers to arrive back once the sitter has left, but when this has happened to us on the rare occasion we have always messaged to make sure they have arrived home safely and the animals are not left home alone without care, and in this instance we leave just before the homeowner is due back so the animals are then not left for too long before their owners return.

4 Likes

Yes! We recently had this same situation. I was so worried about not hearing from the HO and whether they arrived safely (we left 2 hours before they arrived, once we knew they landed safely), I had to ask THS Membership Services to intervene! All was fine apparently, some phone issue. But since then, they never even responded to my call, my text, my Whatsapps, my platform message, nor my review request. It’s as if they disappeared from the face of the earth. If it wasn’t for THS that contacted them and let me know they arrived home safely, I would have no idea. Of course I feel extremely angry at this treatment (as you might tell from the tone of this message). I know we did a good job, so there was nothing that went wrong. It just feels like they got what they needed, and no more. Which is unfair. As usual, we connected with the pets and the home and the garden, and needed closure that everything was fine on their return. Or at least a thank you for the clean home and bottle of wine.

5 Likes

@botvot did you receive a review?

@Debbie-L No.

Wow, This is my worst (petsit) nightmare. How inconsiderate. Reviews are so helpful to us as sitters especially when we do a great job. Keep doing what you’re doing, the right pet parent/ home-owners will find you! <3

2 Likes

I’ve had this too and also assume I’ve done something wrong, despite me checking everything before I leave, following HO house guide, doing my best to communicate clearly and regularly, ensuring I’ve tidied up, and the pet is fine (I mainly care for cats so they’re ok being left alone for a bit)

I try not to worry too much and imagine when most people return home from a trip, especially if they’ve had a long journey back there’s a lot to catch up with and so it slips their mind.

If there was any major issues I’d like to think most people would contact you to let you know. Saying that people have varying standards on everything from cleanliness to communication to what is a fair exchange. It can feel disheartening when you’ve washed and changed peoples sheets, stocked toilet paper for them, left snacks, cared for their pet etc to not get a review or feedback, you never know what is going on with people on the other side so as long as you know you did your best try not let it get you down.

4 Likes

I’ve done 14 sits and got 13 reviews, some after some reminders :slight_smile: but most people were great. One person never wrote a review and didn’t even respond to a recent happy Christmas message. I did get the feeling that she considered herself better than me. Her cat was gorgeous but I won’t consider sitting for her again because if an owner can’t be polite, I won’t bother.
It’s like that in life, not everyone you meet behaves in the way I would hope, but I can move on. I’ve met mostly great people on here and have two repeat sits coming up :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I typically wait for HO return and also communicate ahead of time to let me know they made it Home safely. I keep a open conversation going from the get go. I want to make sure that all basis is covered and that the pets are taken care of. Good communication is important.

1 Like

I can really understand why you feel upset and disappointed by this outcome. Things like this have happened to us too and it really does not feel nice. It makes you feel used and taken advantage of. People have such different attitudes. We’ve had hosts who’ve been so extremely grateful its made us feel really appreciated. Others, like yours, seem to forget the sitters the minute they get home. Assuming ofcourse that everything went well then, for those hosts, the Sit is over for them and they just want to move on.
Most hosts are somewhere inbetween and there is just a natural exchange of respect and gratitude.
For us personally, as sitters, the formal completion of the Sit for us is when we get out review. So for that reason we always ask for our review first before giving the host feedback. I don’t see this as a power trip- as some do- I just feel the sitter is the one doing the job and taking on all the responsibilty of pet and homecare and since there is no payment involved the best way to properly acknowledge this effort is through a review.

5 Likes

I’ve only done 7 sits so far so I’m still a newbie. But I’ve never stayed until the owner got home and never expected (or received) a text or call from them to tell me they’ve arrived.

I think the most important thing is that the homeowners and I communicate clearly ahead of time about their arrival plans and my departure plans.

I always offer to stay until they get home and so far, they’ve always encouraged me to leave earlier. If they are flying home, they text me when their flight lands. If they’re driving, they text me when they’re within a few hours of home.

When I’m about to head out the door, I text to say « Thanks so much, leaving now » and tell them the pet status (« I let Puddles out for a final piddle but didn’t feed him since you’ll be home before dinner time. »). My feeling is, from that point on the pets and house are the owner’s responsibility, just the same as any day when they go out and leave their animals home alone.

4 Likes

I always text the HO to confirm their ETA and to let them know the time I’m expecting to leave so our schedules align with the needs of the pets.
You should expect the HO to acknowledge their return, but if they don’t, I’d suggest reaching out to them.

1 Like

This post couldn’t come at a better time! I just finished a sit where I left the cats and sent a very nice message to the owners I was leaving earlier (which they appreciated because they were coming back after a looooooooooong flight).
Didn’t get anything, complete silence… I’m thinking some people are pragmatic and don’t see it as a must to message they got back?
I haven’t messaged again but will do so as a “before I’m leaving the city just making sure…”
All other owners I always met and handed over so this felt off to me and I also assumed something was wrong :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I would say “Give them a bit.” There are some people who are effervescent in their praise and “thank you for taking care of our home” but others for whom you are the last priority and you may or may not get any thanks or acknowledgement. And some people praise little in general.

There was one sit I had last year where, frankly, the person wasn’t very pleasant and there wasn’t any thanks or, say, a $50 gift certficate mailed to me as another client had done.

It’s nice to get a thanks but if it doesn’t happen, ehh. She still said “We’ll bring you back next year!”

DON’T
FREAK
OUT!
:smiley:

1 Like

@Joshua I can understand it was nice to receive a gift card from the pet parent, but I do not believe this is standard procedure or expected from anyone. A simple thank you with a basket of “starter” goodies is really the best way to show appreciation.