Where have all the sitters gone to?

Really surprised me with a recent application. After several days it’s still not even been read! I’m moving towards the situation whereby if I’ve had no reply within a week I’ll withdraw my application and move on. It’s just not necessary to keep people hanging about for weeks or even months waiting for a decision.

6 Likes

As has been mentioned, a message that has been read on the app still reads unread. @Ben-ProductManager , many of us hope this will soon be fixed!

3 Likes

That’s interesting, I’ve not been on this forum for long so was unaware of this. Seems completely pointless having a read/unread message indicator that is then essentially useless. Thanks for making me aware of this, I’ll just stick with my time-based method of pulling an application. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Oh yes. I have no doubt there are sitters who do not respond on a reasonably prompt basis.

Hi Charlotte,
Hope your chat works out! If not, I have another suggestion for your ad. I don’t see mention of Smudge’s age anywhere. I know he’s a puppy and “0 years” old, but there’s a big difference between three months old and 11 months old. So you might want to write something like “X months old as of May 2022” that way people can do the math and you won’t have to worry about updating your profile for future sits.
Best of luck!

I’m new to the site and have listed my home in August. After not having any interest from the listing I’ve invited 80+ sitters and only have potential interest from one. Is this usual?

5 Likes

It’s not completely unusual, we are usually fully booked and other experienced sitters might be as well. We would probably focus on inviting new sitters close to your area (when we were new we were happy about every sit we got). You can also let members in the forum take a look at your listing and the THS staff can boost your listing. PS: It might also help to also list on other platforms (it helped us a lot during the lockdowns when there were almost no sits).

Hi @LauraB welcome to our community forum and to TrustedHousesitters I have added the link to your listing to your forum profile, that way other forum members can view and perhaps give feedback or there may be a member who would love to spend time with your two gorgeous Labs … August is still quite a distance off and there is still time to find your sitters.

You’ll find our community helpful and supportive and if you have any questions please just ask.

Angela and the Team

1 Like

Another fallout from Covid is car rental. I’ll be in the UK for a couple of months, doing 3 sits. I’d wanted to stay longer and do more but the cost of a car there kept me on the continent. That lack of mobility has been a big issue.

6 Likes

Hello everyone,
I posted my live sit at the beginning of the year & have had no applicants. I have contacted THS 3 times (still awaiting a response to my last email) but have been boosted twice. This last week I have contacted in excess of 50 people, all but 3, showing they were available. Some have read the message but not responded & a lot are still unread. Those that have responded & declined have all either got sits booked, have other commitments or are currently away. The majority of these people have also been supportive over my ad & a couple have pointed out issues with it which I have hopefully now corrected. I have now posted a sitter request on the 7 day option but am getting really anxious.
Charlotte

1 Like

Hi @LauraB, your sit looks great. If I was looking for your dates I would really be pulled in by the photo you’ve posted here of your two gorgeous labs as your primary photo instead. Briar and Bonnie look adorable, and I’m a sucker for Labs!
A few other thoughts if you’d like some sitter input? I’m a bit confused by your current main photo on your listing (is it the hot tub? it looks like it’s raised up really high so I’m a bit confused).
I would also think twice about the photo of the pub which comes before the picture of your actual house; people might think it’s your home! I personally look at photos after I’ve read everything, but some sitters might look at photos first. Also, that picture of the pub shows loads of cars parked outside and more cars on the road, which might be a concern. Sorry to sound like a party-pooper but I would instead be looking for reassurance that the pub doesn’t create much noise, traffic, trouble etc
It might be good to clarify how long you mean with 1-2 walks per day. It’s important to know whether these are short or long walks and what your expectations are.
I hope you don’t mind me sharing a few thoughts as a sitter. Otherwise I think your listing looks wonderful. Unfortunately we’re already booked for our summer holidays, but you still have plenty of time to find a lovely sitter/family to look after your precious bubs.
All the best, Ally

1 Like

Hi @charlotteeb I suggest you add a photo of the bedroom and bathroom that will be available to the sitter(s). I would also add more details of your routine with Riley. You do mention two walks a day, but perhaps more details of how far and/or for how long would be helpful for sitters to know.

3 Likes

Hi @charlotteeb In addition to the excellent suggestions from @Snowbird which I definitely agree with, might I suggest you write a bit of an introduction about yourself/your family? (only as much as you’re comfortable with of course).
As much as this site is about animals, I think it’s also about connecting with people, and with the sits that we have done so far there has been something about what the homeowner has written in their listing/messages or said in a phone call that has sparked something for us over other options.
I’m a details person, so I would always be happier with a lot of detail rather than a little (it also saves sitters from having to ask more questions). So, maybe some more information about your home and location; Gloucester itself is a lovely city, and I’m sure the wider area has lots to offer?
The responsibilities section is usually the first thing I look at; how long is a short walk? can Riley be left alone at all during the day? would he go out in a sitter’s car? The information about his character is great, he sounds like a sweetheart.
All the best, Ally

1 Like

Hi Snowbird,
I will certainly look at making those amendments. Thank you for your advice.
Charlotte

Hi everyone. Having been let down by my previously arranged sitter for July, I have sent out two invites to people who I can see are available. In both cases, I have added a very polite message asking me if they would kindly let me know either way. One invite was sent five days ago and the other was three days ago - they have both been read but no response from either, which I think is very rude . Has anyone else had this problem ?

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, I have edited the photos as you suggested. I actually had feedback from one sitter yesterday about the pub saying it put her off; it’s rarely noisy so it hadn’t really occurred to me that it could be an issue. I’ve had another person interested now so feeling more positive about it!

3 Likes

Loving the new main pic @LauraB. They are so gorgeous.

Best of luck with the interested sitter.

Hi Ally,
Thank you for your comments which I have taken on board & will look to amend the responsibilities section. As for personal information surely you need to be careful with what you share on a website about yourself as with breaches in cyber security you could open yourself to identity fraud. I would have thought less is more & it was far safer to share this your sitter directly on a one to one basis.
Regards
Charlotte

Hi Estelle,
I have had a lot of this.
Regards
Charlotte

1 Like

I don’t think you need to share details, but generic things about hobbies and that kind of thing can help people connect with you. Frequently in my application letters I’ll mention something the HO said that we have in common.