Who's on a house sit now? How's it going?

Someone is jealous I’m trying to get some work done

Imgur
Imgur

11 Likes

@CreatureCuddler , that’s SO adorable!
How can you bear to work with that cutie staring at you?!

1 Like

So very cute!

2 Likes

It’s difficult. But he’s still getting plenty of belly rubs as he’s laying on the sofa next to me. :slight_smile:

Last night we arrived at Sheffield (UK) to spend a week with this tiny trio of trouble!

13 Likes

Just finished our last Housesit in Javea, Spain. These 2 lovely Tamaskans Koda and Tali were great to look after. Although they were powerful dogs we were able to manage them. Going back again in July and November to spend more time with them and Debbie and Ian their owners. I’m sure Lucy the cat will also welcome us back.

11 Likes

Final sit of 5 over 6 weeks in the UK. Got lucky with a 2 night sit in Kingston on Thames with a pair of sort of Siamese cats. Comfortable house, easy walk into center of Kingston and to the river. Beautiful weather.
Cats are pleasant but on their own terms.
Yuzu

Mochi

Interesting house museum - Dorich, the home and studio of sculptor Dora Gordine and her husband Richard Hare.

3 Likes

How do you manage to line up all your sits straight through with no gap days between, if that’s what you meant?

1 Like

Beautiful cats, and what an interesting looking house.

It was hard work and I got lucky. I did have a 1 day gap between the first and second - used hotel points for a night in Birmingham between the 2 sits.
I was planning on the last 2 nights at a hotel as well, but once the string started I looked for something in London for those last 2 nights and found it here in Kingston.
Am doing it again July-Sept for 8 weeks/4 sits (some nice long ones there) - will have to do 1 hotel night between sits 2 and 3, and maybe 2 nights between 3 and 4 but will keep looking.
I’ve found HOs to be very cooperative about coming a day early or staying an extra day, especially if there is a guest room and I’m not disrupting things.

2 Likes

We do have gap days, but for the last couple of UK summers that has been a good thing, my mum has not been so well so we spend a few days in-between with her, shopping etc.
When we housesit abroad we treat it as RnR from backpacking, so don’t want it back to back

It is now 3 days that I am in a very quaint remote village in Spain, situated between Barcelona and Tarragona surrounded by mountains, farms and the sea just a few Km away. The HO and I originally agreed to one week which turned into two weeks. We have spent several evenings together and have thoroughly enjoyed preparing meals, shopping, sharing photos of our travels, family and well, life experiences. Yes, I have done it again, connected with someone very unique and special. She has in fact, invited me to stay when and if I desire to at any time and we are discussing taking a holiday together in 2023 at which time she would get another sitter :smiling_face:
The home is an absolutely gorgeous penthouse apartment with terraces that face east and west with glorious views. There are 6 most precious cats, all adopted from local shelters and all with unique personalities and needs and all BEAUTIFUL! These last few days has given us the opportunity to familiarize ourselves and get comfortable. Truth, that was simple as our conversations prior to arrival were lots of fun with lots of phone calls and pic sharing.

My stay in Wales, even though a repeat exceeded my expectations. When my hosts returned from their 50 mile hiking trip, I stayed on a few extra days and they took me to Snowdonia National Park. It was an 11 hour, breathtaking delightful experience that one post here would not suffice to share all that transpired. We travelled through single lane back roads winding around farms, mountains and glacial rock formations. We hiked, stopped for ice cream in one hideaway and fish and chips lakeside. Whilst they were away and a few hours each day afterwards, I helped with their vegetable garden and mowed a part of their 2 acre holding.
This is an extraordinary life, mine is admittedly a rare and unusual. It can be whatever you choose, a business arrangement or a truly meaningful life experience with new and old friends.
I choose the latter.

From here I return to the UK for a series of new sits with peeps and cats, a set of repeats with friends and then back to the US for a 2 month long repeat sit with dear friends, HOs I have sat for exclusively since 2018. They are moving to South America and have invited me to assist in the transition so yeah, (I am going as well!). I’m booked till April and the future is looking amazing.
All the best everyone.

Spain

Snowdonia. If you ever have the opportunity, GO!

People will treat you well when you show them you care.

14 Likes

I arrived yesterday to do a repeat sit with Sheldon. I did a 3-day sit with him last September and he was quite indifferent towards me. That first sit, I think he saw me as his necessary human assistant and mostly kept his distance from me. I told the homeowner the enticements for me to return was the in-town, best bakery ever, and a really comfortable bed. We were comfortable enough with each other that she understood and wasn’t offended.

I arrived yesterday for a week’s sit, and Sheldon immediately snuggled up to my legs and has been interacting and chatting with me quite a bit. Does he remember me? I’m not sure, but I’m enjoying him so much more this time. :smiley_cat:

16 Likes

Lucky you! And I love Sheldon’s name :heart_eyes:

1 Like

@Snowbird what gorgeous markings!

“his necessary human assistant” :rofl: Perhaps he has come to realize, without opposable thumbs, he can’t live without you!!!

3 Likes

I left my sit on Wednesday morning after 2 weeks with the adorable River. Today I got a text from River’s dad that the doggo had spent wednesday night sleeping down by my room because he missed me. :heart:

10 Likes

This was our last day with the gorgeous Piggy, we have been exploring the South Downs National Park with her and she loves visiting the pubs along the way and meeting people, she loves cuddles! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

The last photo is Piggy showing her affection after having a brush! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Hi @Snowbird Where is this “best bakery ever?” What baked good(s) do you enjoy eating from there?

@anon49809275 Maybe I should say it’s truly the best bakery I’ve ever enjoyed. That’s not the fanciest, but just things I enjoy. It’s in a small town in southern Ontario, Canada. The owners have Dutch roots, and the bakery (and deli) reflect that.

Yesterday I picked up raisin buns, and I don’t know how they can fit so many raisins into each bun. I had one toasted for breakfast. I also bought almond gevulde (rounds) as I’m a sucker when it comes to anything that tastes like marzipan. Oh, I almost forgot the duchie doughnut that slipped into my purchases yesterday and just seemed to disappear (and I won’t blame the cat).

When I leave next week I’ll stop by and pick up supplies for my freezer too. :yum: When I agreed to the sit, the homeowner responded by saying that she’d alert the bakery to increase production this week. :rofl:

I must mention that I enjoy the ‘Cakes of the World’ post. So much enjoyment, without the calories.

3 Likes

This may or may not happen with my favorite wine bar when I let them know I’m coming to town…

1 Like