Why are my photos upside down?

My photos look fine in my photo app but they’re posting upside down. I even tried turning them upside down in my photo app and they are still loading upside down :joy: Any help is appreciated!

3 Likes

Nothing there about upside down. I loaded a dozen pics last year and they’re fine, I’m not sure what has changed.

1 Like

Hi @Shafofo this is nothing you are doing wrong I will get Membership Services Team to look at this for you when they are back on line Sunday.

2 Likes

I had exactly the same issue but after numerous attempts the photos suddenly righted themselves! :joy:

1 Like

@Samox24 well, I guess I can just keep trying :woman_shrugging:t2: At least I’m not alone :joy:

1 Like

I’ve had this issue before with other applications. I can’t be sure its the same issue without having access to the images/knowing more details and testing the code.

But I believe its an issue with the photos being taken with the device upside down (even though the images themselves then get rotated to display properly on your device)

The next paragraph is a bit technical, and only really writing it incase THS developers look at this and are stuck to what the issue might be.

When I had this before, it happened when photos are originally taken when the device is upside down. The photo will display fine on your device because the photo has data attached to it (called EXIF data - this data has things like the date it was taken, the filename, the camera lens etc…) In this EXIF data the device adds the photo orientation data (the device has sensors to know when it is upside down) so that it knows that this was taken upside down and then it uses this data in its software to display the photo so that it always looks the right way up. However the photo technically is still upside down - its just the software uses the data to correct this. So ultimately THS might need to add something to their code to check for this orientation data.

4 Likes

Know that isn’t really much help for you now.

You can fix the images yourself but it is a bit complicated and technical…

I guess the simple solution is to make sure you hold your device the correct way up when taking photos.

I could also be way off the mark and its something completely different. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

@Ben-ProductManager this is more up your street than mine, but have raised it to the team looking into it to see if this is a current issue with images being uploaded

2 Likes

Hi @Shafofo

My colleague has reached out to you regarding your current issue and I will be looking into it, so keep an eye out for my reply soon.

Kind regards,
Katie

2 Likes

@ChrisAndSuzeGoWalkies it makes sense, although it was my iPad turned sideways so pics “shouldn’t” be upside down, but perhaps it’s a matter of my turning it either left or right. Thx for the thoughts, THS is looking into it! Hopefully since it’s not just me there will be a long term fix applied.

1 Like