Why do sitters choose not to leave a bad review even after they have received theirs - I feel let down by my fellow sitters

I agree with this wholeheartedly, but in my case it was a difference in values that wasn’t discoverable until after the sit ended.

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t have the App on my phone anymore but from memory - on the listing look for ‘feedback’ - there you can see feedback from the last sitter - if there is a red line on that feedback it means there have been more sitters - swipe right ( or maybe left! ) to see these. If there are past sitters that have not left feedback you can see the pic and name of the sitter but it is void of any text. In this case, no, there is no way to reach out to that particular past sitter

@wavingfish I understand that perspective … My sense is that this sort of feedback occurs best when:

1. The person wanting the feedback asks for it, which I would do with the explanation you offered, a la, “I’m always interested in improving, if you have any constructive input on [topic], I’d love to hear it”
    and
  2. When it’s offered in a private manner that provides opportunity for dialog.
    Ergo, I think the public reviews are probably not the first best means that I would use to ask for or provide that type of input.
    Just a thought…
    Bruce
3 Likes

I didn’t leave a review on a sit that ended up poorly for me. The reason is that they are overall nice people and someone else may not mind the things that were unacceptable to me. Also mine was a very long multi- month sit which will definitely have different issues than a very short sit. So basically I left it blank and blocked them from ever texting me again.

1 Like

I keep a cast iron pan on the stove at all times. I clean it, return it to the burner and turn burner on to dry. While pan is hot I oil it. If someone has issues with that they probably cook like my husband, microwave only!

2 Likes

@KerryME funnily enough I was looking at my cast iron pan a couple of days ago and thinking I should maybe hide it because I wouldn’t want a sitter to wash it(I clean it with salt). Having said that, I have done sits where there have been omelette pans and I was given instructions not to wash them. I’m maybe not as trusting as those home owners.

1 Like

I hide my cast iron pans when we have people staying and we are away :laughing: We don’t use soap on them and don’t want meat cooked on them as we are vegetarian. It just seems easier and there are several other frying pans to use,

4 Likes

I don’t agree with that, but as a sitter for six years and a former home health nurse who cared for pediatric patients in their homes, we sometimes have to rely on unofficial reviews of a sit, because people are afriad to say what they think on a public review for fear of retaliation. When I was a nurse, I had other nurses tell me what a home was really like because the office would lie through their teeth just to staff a case. I have some sits that I would have preferred to be more honest about reviews , but again: retaliation.

1 Like

This has been going on for months, this thread… anything been done since?
For me, now pet sitting here for nearly a year, one of the biggest thing is to have more categories in the review of the owner from the sitter point of view, like they (owner) have CLEANING is a big one!!
Also the reviews should be anonymous type,owner and sitter alike write their review (without being able to read the other party review -as mentioned a million times here) type airbnb etc.

2 Likes

Here’s a sticky one: our current housesit is coming to an end and the male dog is a marker. We find a puddle of pee somewhere in the house every day or two. It’s not a bladder issue, because we take both dogs out frequently, and the female doesn’t mark in the house. Would you mention this in the review? It’s not mentioned in the advert. Hubby really dislikes this quality and feels other housesitters should know. There was no handover notes, just a video. And the HO made a fleeting comment about the doggie marking, as in “mind where you put your stuff, as Teddy has taking to marking things”. He is sweet, but a very nervous dog.

2 Likes

Hi Botvot
Could this problem not be discussed with HO privately before you do your feedback/review and take it from there. As you say a tricky situation.
It might be a new thing, might be due to his owners being away and strangers in the house and is marking his territory, just a thought.
take care .
F

1 Like

I agree with what’s been previously suggested and chat with the HO is best. I would approach the subject very low key, as

‘I’m not sure if this is new behavior, because you are away, but we’ve noticed …. Has been marking inside and just wanted you to be aware if it. Any suggestions to curb the behavior, much appreciated’

or something to that affect. Good luck!

2 Likes

@Joanne @fyfie sorry, I just edited my comment: this is not quite new behaviour, as the owner has mentioned it in her video…

1 Like

Oh my, that does add another dimension to the dilemma. The lack of member guide, and the subsequent video. Poor little nervous doggie :disappointed: Almost the same as a happy bladder, which I dealt with for many years, with several cocker spaniels in my care. Perhaps use the term ‘nervous bladder’ and that will alert future sitters. I’m not sure if this behavior is something that can be corrected with training. It’s unfortunate you were not advised in advance of the sit. Thank you for your concern for future sitters.

3 Likes

@botvot “Here’s a sticky one” … Pun intended?
I think the HO owes it to the sitter community to be forthright about that in their listing. If they haven’t been, perhaps it’s something to pursue with member services to see if they can help the HO to come to realize this. I think if you asked for that you could ease your conscience on what to put in feedback. If you include mention of it, perhaps something along the lines of “home owner was aware of and non-judgmental about Fido’s tendency to mark in the home … bless their hearts for accepting that in Fido” … that gets it out there with a positive spin for the HO. Best, Bruce

4 Likes

Hi @botvot
Start your review with all of the positives and then add this on at the end.
You could mention it privately but that would not alert future sitters.

6 Likes

I have just had a sit and am not going to leave a review . I emailed for help but this has not been forthcoming. I have sent in the details but have not had a satisfactory reply or non at all when I emailed again for help. All the details are in the email.
I found it surprising that going on the previous 5 star reviews of the couple, non of the amazing details that we listed happened. I cannot do this to someone else and I have seen what has happened when someone leaves an honest review so I now understand why HO just don’t leave one. This system does not work.

2 Likes

@Coco I have Direct Messaged you …

Yes, since HO’s get to review sitters on a few scales…why can’t sitters so the same? I’d add cleanliness of house for a sitter to review, as well as accuracy of info given about the pets! I’d had a sit where the pet didn’t ‘sometimes’ miss the pee pad (as advertised), but NEVER hit the pee pad!

3 Likes

Messaged you back …