Why does everyone in the forum have a fake name - except me?

Yes, I saw that and will be adding it as soon as we get it back up and functioning. We somehow missed a payment on our hosting when we weren’t traveling and didn’t notice it until it was too late. We’re having to redo the whole site. :sweat_smile: :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

not everyone

Same reasons as Bunnycat.

1 Like

“fake names” a.k.a. aliases are made-up names used by subscribers of various chat rooms and forums. They were introduced together with the very first chatroom in the early 80ies and have been a default ever since. Even today you need to come up with a nickname (as it is called today) to join most forums.

Why? To maintain anonymity. Why? To keep personal info private. To separate private and business life. There are a million reasons why you may not want to share your private info.

Even on an (innocent) forum like this one, users may like to keep their private info private to preserve freedom of expression, to separate private and “business” and thereby minimize the risk of sending eventual negative vibes which may result in excluding certain sitters/hosts

2 Likes

As usually nobody from outside Germany can pronounce my name correctly anyway, I thought it doesn’t matter if they also can’t pronounce my forum name :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Heike

3 Likes

And another reason is because whenever I choose Barb or Barbara, the name is already taken so I have to be Barbara26534 or something similar. :wink:

Hi, I’m Debbie

2 Likes

Hello, I’m Ally.

Although, I might rethink having my profile linked to my forum username now that I read it is public and not only visible to THS members as I had assumed.

1 Like