Why does everyone in the forum have a fake name - except me?

I am just wondering whether I have broken any rule by using my real name in this forum? Everyone else seems to have some imaginary fantasy name. Is there any reason why the sitters and home owners should NOT be identifiable in the chats here?

Personally, I would consider it a great benefit if we could recognise posters whom I have met in person or via my Inbox messages and use the opportunity to get to know each other better here. That’s why I used my real first name. Shall I change it to some fantasy nickname?

1 Like

Hi! I am Amparo :wave:

1 Like

I agree with you, Romana, I also use my real first name on the Forum.

3 Likes

@anon36831737 : NICE! I love it! I didn’t know this feature. Now I only need to figure out how to create such a link from my “R” picture as well. By the way, I will do several sits in Scotland this autumn. Looking forward to my time there!

2 Likes

Hi Romana - Francine here, but you’ve likely seen my name many times, as I sign with my name when responding in my voluntary capacity, as a forum moderator. Any other times, I am Snowbird, a sitter.

Why did I choose ‘Snowbird’? Because it is (or maybe was) my main reason for joining THS. Canadians who like to travel to warmer climates to avoid the cold Canadian winters are called snowbirds. I think that username just shows a little more of my personality, and why I’m here.

I totally agree with you that identifying ourselves can make us more relatable to each other. That’s why I have my THS profile link embedded in my username, so that anyone can look at just about every aspect of my life, including my THS history. I would encourage you to do the same, so that others can learn more about you. However, these things - true names, usernames, and profile/listing links - are all choices here, which I think is ideal. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Here you go, Romana. I was busy writing my response and then saw your comment to @anon36831737

1 Like

Congratulations on figuring out how to add your sitter profile to your forum profile. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your profile and learned so much about you that was so interesting. I hope your journey with THS is just as varied and fulfilling. :clap:

1 Like

Hi, Colin here :grinning:

2 Likes

I’m who I say I am. Nothing to hide.

1 Like

@Snowbird Thank you so much for your help and nice comments!

2 Likes

@Romana - We have 5 back to back house sits June - October , if you are around and want to meet for a coffee let me know

1 Like

My name’s Lindsay :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

@Romana hello ! I also use my real name - with my husband’s name : as we both sit together.

1 Like

@Amparo : An unusual name - but nice!

2 Likes

@BunnyCat I can respect a need for privacy, but you have embedded a link to your sitter profile. That displays your first names and more. :thinking:

Kelownagurl is always my online name for no other reason except for fun (I live in Kelowna). But if you click on my name, you go straight to profile and can see my real name is Barbara. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi I’m Susan! :blush:

2 Likes

Thank you. Very old Spanish name I borrowed from my granmama
Ironically my last name is very british, borrowed that from my ex :wink:

I used a variation of my name as I wanted to be representative of the fact that we are a house sitting family, (TheJohnsFam). I also considered using StarCityNomads as that’s the name of our blog and would also be representative of who we are.

I really love seeing everyone’s user name as I think it gives insight to their personality.

3 Likes

@thejohnsfam Did you know there’s a post where you can share a link to your blog if you’d like?

Blogs of forum members