Abbreviations

@HelloOutThere gee, I’m sorry you read my term “we don’t all come from the USA” as offensive? If you read closely, I was actually referring that part of my post to the use of abbreviations for AREAS and my example was PNW.

“so many people are also quoting areas that some of us have no idea where you are talking about e.g. PNW. We don’t all come from the USA and I get tired of having to Google what and where these places are and what the abbreviations mean.”

I then went on to explain that I could use SEQ in Australia but nobody would know where I was talking about. THAT was my reference and I am sorry if you took it to mean anything but.

As you yourself do often, I simply stated my beliefs, which I don’t think are out of the Forum guidelines?

I am still scratching my head as to what GTS means, but I guess you are entitled to use abbreviations as Carla said. You are free to think what you will of what I wrote but maybe, being “global” you just took it to a personal level where that was not the intent. My topic had nothing to do with hobs or cleaning up or eskys etc etc, it was about abbreviations, particularly areas that members of THS are trying to figure out where, in case it is relevant to their search or interest. People need to read the context of things and not simply parts of a topic that they choose to focus on I feel. Oh, and most of my family come from Boston so I have absolutely no issue with the USA if you feel that may be a thing? I visit often and have a great time and am made to feel very welcome!

Insofar as bringing the forum into, or back to, the 20th century, please remember we are not Tik Tok, Instagram, Facebook or any of those platforms. Trusted Housesitters has a HUGE number of homeowners AND sitters who come from those days gone by and it is not the place for a house-sitting forum to educate people, or expect people, to update their writing and grammar skills to anyone’s modern day standards. If my mother were on here, she would have a nervous breakdown trying to figure some things out! I’m quite positive that there are thousands of members like this who don’t need bringing into the 21st century on a PAID house/pet sitting site. I am not against abbreviations, I just wish they weren’t used here and definitely not used to abbreviate locations which is what THS is about also - locations. Let’s leave that for social media sites hey?

The topic was a bit of fun there for a bit which is a lovely change, but obviously it is not so now so I shall leave this. Glad to have read so many positives though, I understand we can’t always agree on everything but open discussion is what forums are about and people are free to read into them whatever they choose to.

4 Likes

I had to Google GTS. Mostly it stands for ‘go to sleep’ but I found it can also mean ‘Google that s- - t & assume that’s what @HelloOutThere means :smile:

@Smiley yes, I guess it meant the latter :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Just to say it’s the 21st century now

1 Like

Thanks @Smiley but I think you may have missed my point.

All good. More on the matter is not of good use of time, IMHO :smirk:

@ziggy after your thorough reply, I reread your OP and…I too shall this.

1 Like

Never heard of sticky beak, but figured it out in the context and like it :rofl:.
Made me think of an interaction with a young friend (30s) recently who used the term ‘busybody’ to mean super-active people who like to be ‘on the go’ all the time.
I have no idea if the meaning has changed since I was in my 30s (40 years ago) or if my friend just came up with this in her own imagination—- but to me, busybody means a ‘sticky beak’ still :woman_facepalming: anybody know?
Good for laughs.
My friend was shocked to think her company might be nosey busybodies vs literal bodies being busy :laughing:

2 Likes

Like you @Sandi, ‘busybody’ and ‘sticky beak’ mean the same to me. Must be our generation!

2 Likes

Yes @Sandi and a busy body/sticky beak is a nosey parker where I come from. Never heard of sticky beak before but I like it :joy:
MATTHEW PARKER, who was Archbishop of Canterbury (1559-75), had rather a reputation for prying into the affairs of others. He therefore acquired the nickname ‘Nosey Parker’.

5 Likes

I’d forgotten about a ‘nosey parker’ @Twitcher!

2 Likes

Haha all three terms which basically mean the same, have given me a good laugh and a walk down memory lane :joy:

2 Likes

I actually think that my young friend heard the term at some point and came up with her own meaning and then ‘misused’ it when speaking with me.
I can understand how she got there, but I think it was an error.
Hey young people out there: have you ever heard of a ‘busybody’ and if yes, what does it mean??
If this oldster is in error and there IS a new meaning, I’d sure like to know.

1 Like

Hey @Sandi I think we’ll just stick with the tried and true meaning of the term, I very much doubt there is a new meaning :smiling_face:

I’m in agreement.
I think my friend was just creative in her interpretation :rofl:

Sandi

1 Like

What is a DM?

@Keith1 hello fellow Queenslander! agghh my point exactly! :joy: I’ll jump in for Carla. DM is “direct message”.

1 Like

I guess it has changed from Private Message

Yes, Keith, I thought the same thing but it is what it is now :wink:

I’m young at heart and ‘busy body’ means someone who sticks their nose into other people’s business and tells them what to do!

1 Like

I think it quite often used to be DM, but now I see PM more.

1 Like