About to join

My partner and myself are just about to join as sitters. I just wanted to ask if anyone brings their own dog to a sit? I have a pug who loves being with other dogs and wondered if I put in my bio that I wanted to bring him it would restrict the number of offers I would receive?

You would have to include that in your profile really, as it is very important.
I’m sure you will have realised that this will reduce your potential sit chances though.

Hi @Lisa53

I think in reality you may receive fewer offers if you are wanting to bring your own dog with you to sits – simply because from the homeowner’s point of view this will throw in the added concern of whether the animals will get along. Dogs meeting on neutral territory out on a walk is very different from a new dog being introduced into another dog’s territory. And likewise, owners with cats, livestock, horses or poultry may have reservations about accepting sitters with a dog. You could always change your search filters to ‘no pets’, or ‘reptiles/fish only’.

Although homeowners do invite sitters, it tends to be more a case of sitters applying for the sits that they’d like to do. Some listings specifically state that you cannot bring your own pets with you, but even if they don’t state that, I think you should assume this to be the case. Either way, bringing your own dog along is definitely something that should be discussed with any prospective homeowners. In the interest of transparency, I would include something like that on your profile as it will save everyone a lot of time if it’s not a scenario that the homeowner is willing to entertain.

You could consider the combined membership option, where you are both a sitter and a homeowner. I believe that some people do this so that they can apply to do sits, whilst also having a sitter come and look after their own pets.

You will still find sits, but you may need to work a little harder to do so. Maybe keep a look out for sits with pugs! Or consider starting off with a sit that is close to home, so that you can offer the homeowner the reassurance that if things don’t work out, one of you can return home with your own dog, whilst the other stays on and completes the sit.

1 Like

Hi @Lisa53 and welcome.

This forum has a variety of threads to read about this issue and a very recent one as well.

Usually the bottom line is that some home hosts will welcome your pup but most won’t, would be my guess.

And I would think depending on how much use and purpose of your membership may be a factor. Casual use may be more workable vs. being a “nomad” and needing back to back sits, which may be harder to coordinate with a pup you want to bring along.

And I agree with @Hallt64 that it should be made very clear in your profile that you will want to bring your dog.

Good luck.

2 Likes

@Lisa53 As others have said, mention it right up front in your sitter profile.

And, equally important, read the entire sit listing before applying. Homeowners will state if other animals are permitted.

2 Likes

This question has been asked & discussed several times before on the forum. You can search your question before asking in future.

1 Like

I understand wanting to bring your pup. If your plan is casual sits to enjoy new places, then the solution might be a combined membership. You could go out and sit while leaving the dog in your home with a sitter.

We have cats and this works for us.

I would definitely expect it to limit your sits greatly. As a HO, I’d worry…what if my dog takes a dislike to the sitter’s dog? Will the sitter leave?

I’m here as both a HO and a sitter. When I get a sit, I post for a sitter to come to my house and cover the time I’ll be gone.

Bringing your own pet is like bringing kids. There are pet parents who will be against it. But having said that, we have done petsits where I know from reading the reviews, previous sitters brought their own dogs. So it can be done, you just have to apply and find a pet parent who is open to it

2 Likes