Are longer sits popular or hard to find sitters for?

Yes, as our time and opportunities overseas expand for us, we will become more acquainted with the ins and outs of country jumping :wink:

2 Likes

HI @Sarah_3_Cats. You might want to take a look at this post, Are longer sits hard to find sitters for, and in particular some considerations when thinking of splitting up a sit.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the lovely messages and encouragement. Its really nice to know there is a great community of people who can assist with looking after my house and cats. I’ll certainly be back to advertise, if I accept the position abroad.

4 Likes

I was wondering, if there are any digital nomads using this forum who would be interested in longer stays of 3-5 months. We have a big appartment in Medellin, Colombia in the Poblado area with two young dogs.

Or did any of the home owners had success finding long term sitters like that? Thank you! Any answers are greatly aprreciated.

Yes! Muy interesada.
A few of us have done extended sits. I have done a few.
Welcome to the forum!
I have looked at SA a few times and have a trip scheduled later this year.

2 Likes

Gracias! Thank you for your fast reply Amparo, I am very happy to hear that.

2 Likes

Absolutely, we prefer long term sits pending visa requirements for a particular country. We are not digital nomads, but retired. I’m pretty confident that when you decide to post your sit, you will be inundated with applicants. Be prepared and good luck!

2 Likes

Definitely! I like travelling slowly and usually only look for sits longer than a month. Medellin is also on my travel bucket list… hmmm!

Honestly, I wouldn’t be too worried about finding a sitter, a nice big apartment in Medellin with two sweet pups sounds like a dream sit, you’ll get more applications than you know what to do with!

3 Likes

Absolutely we do @olgadmitriewna I did an 8 month sit in Spain and was able to volunteer with a horse rescue centre while I was there.

I connected with a community in a way only “living” in place allows you to do. My Spanish improved, as did my mental and physical health (animals, a Mediterannean diet, sun and outdoor living) I had my family come to visit on numerous occasions, the owner graciously offered her home to them also and I was blessed to have a very special boy in my life who was made to feel as though his world had not changed one iota, who was kept safe, happy and loved while his human family did what they needed to do.

Everyone was a winner, especially dear Bruno.

So yes long term sits are a blessing and really do work but as with every sit be it 24 hours or 24 months it’s all down to the right sit, for the right sitter, the right pet and the right owner … that’s a LOT of RIGHTS but that’s what makes for a successful arrangement, every time.

4 Likes

I wish I could :heart: Diez veces (10X)
This is what is now happening with me and it is so beautiful when it clicks!
So many doors open and things you once thought impossible become possible.

2 Likes

I would jump at the chance to stay somewhere 3 months at a time, up to 6 months if the visa allowed it! I have traveled for work for so long, and now traveling with house sits, I’ve refined my packing to the bare minimum… And that was using hotels where I didn’t have the conveniences of a home.

As long as you’re upfront about it - don’t try to stretch it out once I’m already there haha.

Something that I think would be nice would be for the homeowner to think ahead, accommodating the fact that the sitter might have weird/extra expenses, or can’t take advantage of local things, because they’re not a resident of the area. For example if you are in a remote location, let the sitter use the car. If you are in an urban location, It would be great if you could buy a bus passes at your resident rate. Loan me your library card! Give me a pass to your swimming pool or gym!

1 Like

Wow thank you all so much for taking out the time and getting back to me with such great answers. That must have been an amazing time Angela, I hope somebody can experience the same with our place.

5 Likes

Let us know when you’re listing is live!

2 Likes

There is a footnote, or should I say HOOF note to that sit …

I adopted two rescued Welsh Mountain Ponies … a failed horse rescue volunteer, sadly we lost one to colic last year but Hope (pictured) is living her best life in Shropshire, England. Her sight is deteriorating, she is blind in one eye and the other is very poor, but she’s still a feisty little madam.

So staying somewhere for a long sit you never know what wonderful things might happen.

It’s all a great adventure … animal adventures!!

9 Likes

When is the sit for. I will do after October.

Long sits are high in demand and there are very few sits in South America, so you’ll probably get a good amount of applicants.

2 Likes

My heart just galloped. Love this so very much.
You have lived an extraordinary life and that is what makes you, YOU, Extra ordinary.

2 Likes

Hi Everyone there is already a thread about sitters for long stay and so I’m going to combine the two that way you’ll have more great tips and insights into long term sitting for sitters all in one place … that way you won’t miss any gems.

Thank you all for your helpful advice for @olgadmitriewna

1 Like

I definitely will!

2 Likes

I am a bit different to most sitters on here, as I am part of a family, with my husband and two children.

My husband works full time but we came up with the idea that it would be an alternative holiday for us to do local sits and treat them as short holidays, since getting holidays and time off is quite difficult for him at the moment. We travelled to see his family at christmas and were put off by boring hotel accommodation that was very expensive and spent a lot of time chasing the hotel cat which brought me to THS.

We have only accepted short sits (not more than 5-7 days) as we have our own cat to attend to but we went away recently and the neighbour checked on her and she acted as if we had never left to begin with!

Because of hubby’s work, daughter’s school and owning a cat, we cannot do long term sits although we would absolutely love to and would definitely accept if we could! Hubby can get to work from a local sit.

We take advantage of public holidays or when our daughter has student free days and of course school holidays but unfortunately cannot commit to anything like two months. After living in a city that was unfortunately full of on and off lockdowns, I am so glad I came across THS.

If I could I would consider a sit that was broken up into two durations though!

3 Likes