What is the best way to list a month long sitting?

Hi, we are planning on a month vacation in May. I wonder what the success rate is for getting a sitter. Would it be better to split into multiple periods? I’m uncomfortable with that since that means I would not see the house between the transition but I would like to hear if you have a long-term sitter experience. Thanks!

1 Like

I wouldn’t split. Too many things can go wrong and it’s stressful for the animals.

Earlier this year we had a 6 week trip, and didn’t split. It seems that longer sits are popular among people who work from home or digital nomads.

7 Likes

@PixieChloe

There are plenty of sitters that prefer long sits - we’ve done a six week, a two- month sit and 4 x three week sits this year.

The pros and cons of listing split dates has been discussed here:

https://forum.trustedhousesitters.com/t/splitting-a-sit-to-find-someone

Most sitters don’t like split sits as there’s the potential to be blamed for something the previous/ next sitters did.

3 Likes

Don’t split it! A month is perfect especially if you’re a digital nomad or full time sitter. We hate splitting split sits as the responsibilities get muddled. You’ll be fine, just post early to stand the best chance of great sitters :raised_hands:t3:

10 Likes

Many sitters prefer longer sits. Starting in January I have a sit that’s almost a month, then one that’s six weeks, then another that’s a month. I would never take a split sit and wouldn’t advise going that route.

6 Likes

I get the maximum 5 applications within an hour for my month long sits. it’s the 1-2 week sits that are harder to fill.

I’ve had 2 month-long sits so far and got fantastic sitters for both.

6 Likes

@PixieChloe it is not wise to split it many sitters prefer longer sits - we usually sit minimum 3 weeks - choose someone you feel comfortable with there shouldn’t be any problems as a month is pretty standard here

5 Likes

Also we are currently looking for a month long sit in May so I will message you

2 Likes

A month is not long term. I have spent a month in Groningen, a month in Provence. Next stay is over three weeks in Stockholm.

The success rate depends on where you are located, on how much pet care is required, etc.

No reason to split it.

What I would regard as “long term” would be three months and longer, when some visa rules etc are starting to affect how many sitters can apply.

6 Likes

Don’t split it up unless you have a good reason to. There are plenty on here that pet sit full time that would love a one month stay. For 2024 we already have a stay of 6 weeks booked and another for 9 weeks.
Also, never do something that you are uncomfortable in doing anyway.

2 Likes

I prefer month long and longer sits, my reviews show that too, and that’s what I search for. However, the site now limits to five applicants, and the site also does some funny business with dates blocking sitters from applying.

3 Likes

Plenty of us sitters who are digital nomads prefer longer term sits! :person_raising_hand:

And, it’s easier on the animals for sure to have the same person.

1 Like

No need at all to split the sit. One month is a very nice length of time and many sitters will go for it. Ofcourse it depends on many other factors too- your location, your home, your pets & the level of care needed etc
We’ve done several longer sits - a month to 6 weeks and always enjoyed them especially after a series of shorter sits- time to relax a bit!
We’ve done split sits three times. The first two went very smoothly and third - which was actually our suggestion as we could only do the second half- backfired on us. (Long story!) Never again!

1 Like

@PixieChloe As others have said, don’t split the sit. a month isn’t a long sit and it just opens up too many problems if you do. We sit full time and a month is what we are generally looking for. Were currently on a month long sit in Ireland and we’ll be heading to Crete for another month sit.
I’m sure you’ll find someone great!
Dan and Nan

1 Like