Have one or multiple sitters/sits for a long vacation?

Although the question is primarily to homeowners, it would be very much appreciated also to get insight from sitters for the best experience:

For a long sit duration, I wonder whether it is a good idea to put up the listings as multiple sits - for instance for a three month/week vacation, put up the sits as 3 x 1 month(week, or similar.

Although it is of course advantages with having one sitter, it can also exclude sitters with the long durations, as it is more likely to be overlaps so people can’t apply. With one sitter the responsibility will be clearer, and fewer to communicate with. There can be facotrs to consider regarding handovers between sitters as HO is away.

What is your experience with this? In what circumstance could it be a good - or a bad - idea? What should one think about? Any stories to share?

1 Like

You might search for previous threads on this Q. Has been discussed extensively, with many seasoned sitters avoiding it.

4 Likes

I tried to search and didn’t get hits. . :slight_smile:
Can of course try again

5 Likes

As a sitter, I wouldn’t feel comfortable picking up from another sitter midway through a sit. Even if the Welcome Guide is extensive, I usually have more questions once I arrive at the home and meet the animals.

Owners know their animals best, and it has also been invaluable to actually go on a dog walk together, or bring the horses in together, and just observe the interaction between the animals and their humans. It gives a good indication of how responsive they are, what a dog’s recall is like, and often throws up little ‘quirks’ in behaviour or routine that home owners may not think to mention, but which make my life easier as a sitter now that I know about them.

5 Likes

There are plenty of horror stories on split sits @Garfield - we’ve done it twice on three month sits and survived. We were very robust with the new HOs (we were helping them out) & the other sitters on details and took pictures to protect ourselves. It’s ultimately more stressful though so wouldn’t do it again. Many experienced sitters will skip your listing altogether if you split it. Also tougher on the pets & less settling. #dontsplitasit

7 Likes

Yeah, most wouldn’t opt for a split sit. And many sitters enjoy longer stints in one place - more time to see an area, and provides sitters with the opportunity to be in one place for a while if they’re full time travellers, rather than always being on the go every few weeks!

We have a 5 month sit booked in Holland next year that we’re really excited about! For us, the more time in a place to soak up the culture and environment, the better; you can’t always see everything you planned to in just a few weeks, especially if you want to take day trips to different places! For sitters who want to visit Norway and all the incredible nature & mountains it has, 3 months would be awesome! :smiling_face:

Yesterday I was busy making an itinerary for our next sit in Switzerland, and I really wish we had more time there. It will be a squeeze & very full-on/busy to try and fit in all the local places we want to see in the 2 short weeks that we have there (while also managing the pets, of course, and working around my fiancé’s work schedule!)

5 Likes

One sitter is best! There is no way we will do any multiple sitter sits anymore, simply because of the 2 week review system. We can not rely on an HO who is overseas to write our review within the 2 week period while they are busy enjoying themselves. Responses to our pet photos via whatsapp is one thing, but an HO having to go onto their THS account to write a review is another thing entirely. We won’t be doing split sits anymore.

6 Likes

@Becca - as a homeowner I’d also prefer that I do the handover. But then, I also always like to get to know my sitters :slight_smile:

So, I would only ever consider that option if my plans had been foiled and I had to find someone for an unplanned period.

That said, we do live in a time where videoconferencing is the easiest thing, so the handover could simply be zoomed.

@HappyDeb - I understand your reasoning. I did not know that homeowners were so sloppy when it came to providing the currency sitters need (reviews). Since I’m online all the time, and a review can be done in five minutes, this never crossed my mind.

3 Likes

@Garfield We are homeowners and sitters.

As homeowners, we would never split the sit. Please review links to Forum threads (kindly provided by other posters here) in which this topic has been discussed. It’s risky for numerous reasons.

As sitters, we would also reject the idea of sharing a sit with other sitters. No bueno! LOL :laughing:

2 Likes

With a split sit, what if the first sitter leaves before the second sitter arrives?

The sitter coming behind the previous sitter could walk into an unkempt home and the latter sitter could be blamed and docked in cleanliness. How would the HO determine what sitter did what?

With listings that have split sits, I pass on by.

4 Likes

Sharon - which is probably the wise thing to do. I (HO) would also only ask for this kind in an emergency, and if I didn’t have any kind of fallback.

@elmi4711

While I have been offered split sits, I politely declined. I would not want to take the blame for what someone else did or did not do.

5 Likes

No thank you, too many horror stories on the forum about this.

3 Likes

Most of my offered sits have been 4+ weeks. I have had no problem getting great sitters for those.

The only time I would even remotely consider a split sit would be if a prior sitter that I had an exceptional experience with was one of the sitters - but even then, I’d prefer to find one person to do the whole thing.

1 Like

We have done two split sits now, just completing our second one. In both instances, we arrived to a fairly clean home, but the floors were filthy! We mean
we had to sweep, vacuum and mop just to be able to walk around barefoot. In our opinion, this might seem as an oversight of sitters when they know that they are handing over the house to another sitter and not the HO, “Oh, the next people will clean them
”. There was also some damage to the home (scratched up carpet, hole in door, paint on floors, etc) that we let the HO know upon our arrival (because they hadn’t been home in two months). Thankfully, all that damage the HO knew and said was there for a while
but we have learned that on split sits
always let the HO know of any damage asap when you arrive because they might not know about it and you might get the blame if other sitters weren’t so forthcoming.

Overall though, everything went relatively smooth. We definitely prefer meeting the homeowner and doing a walk through together, etc.

4 Likes

If I were you, I would post it as well in advance as I possibly could for two reasons:

• because full time sitters, who are the ones most interested in long sits, usually plan their calendars with more anticipation.
  • this would also allow some time to reconsider the situation and split the sit.

You could also state in your longterm listing that you could consider splitting it.
As a sitter, I could apply for a three month sit but would not apply for a split sit. If I were a HO in TH, I agree

but I would add that the sitter I know and trusted should be the one starting the sitting. That way I would be confident that the pets and house were in the same conditions as I left them and the new sitter would have a bit more pressure because of the review. In that case, I would ask for a personal handover back from the last sitter.

3 Likes

There are many full time sitters on here who would probably jump at the chance of a longer sit. I’m a sitter but not interested in sits of that duration nor would I like to do an overlap sit with another sitter. I don’t think you’ll have a problem finding one sitter for your timeframe. Good luck!

1 Like

You’re right. A handover could be zoomed, but it’s not the same. I’ve only done one sit where I never met the home owners in person. It’s actually one of my favourite sits, as the house was a stunning, architecturally-designed, mix of old and new in a beautiful location, and the dogs were really adorable and also so well-behaved. The owners left me some money for petrol, and the invitation to eat whatever was in the fridge, and a lovely lady came in and cleaned mid-week (although I also made sure everywhere was squeaky clean before I left).

Not meeting the home owners definitely put me in the hired-help bracket, and I’m ok with that. In my day-to-day work, I haven’t met several of my clients in person, despite having worked with them for years. We have built a strong working relationship, based on mutual trust and respect. Likewise, it can still be a successful sit even if sitter and home owner never meet, but meeting each other in person definitely adds another layer to the experience.

1 Like