Asking questions before applying to sit

When reviewing potential sits sometime I have questions but don’t know where to ask.
For instance I may have claryify questions around location (which often isn’t accurate or useful when travelling without a car), public transport options and distances to ammenities such as shops.

The only way I know is after applying being able to reply to the conversation thread.

I would rather be able to ask first so as not to waste their time or mine.

I have learnt that I want to know where the pets sleep as we don’t have them in our bed and some owners insist. I don’t think me it’s unreasonable to clarify. (A field for sleeping arrangements for the pet would be good).

Just follow AirBnBs lead on profiles for homes and homeowners with messaging and map areas for planning.

What do others do?

Have you also posted this to the “what features” or “feedback” threads, as it is @Ben-ProductManager that really needs to read it.

But yes…many have and do ask for such function…

2 Likes

On the other hand imagine how many messages owners of sits in popular locations would receive just asking to be considered for future hypothetical sits or putting in applications if all five spots have been taken. These are probably the people THS cares most about keeping happy (and attracting more of) so they’ve probably decided most of them wouldn’t want lots of messages.
I do think though that it’d be handy if owners could increase the limit of applications they’d like to receive.

Edit: to answer your question! If it’s a deal breaker I’ll ask it in my application (or just send a short message with that question and say I’ll apply properly if the answer is x). If not a deal breaker and I like the look of the sit I’ll apply and ask later

2 Likes

If I’m really interested in the sit but essential ‘deal breaker’ information &/or pictures are missing I will apply and ask my questions. I will tell the host that ‘applying’ is the only way to make contact and that I will apply properly subject to their answers being a match. Meanwhile I’ll invite them to check out our profile to see if they like the sound of us. Quite often this leads to questions being answered and a direct invitation to sit (i.e bypassing the whole application process!) Other times the answers are not a match or the message goes unread/unanswered so we withdraw. I don’t want to waste time writing a thoughtful application for a sit where I don’t have all the info. So it is up to hosts to be transparent with their pictures and info so that applying is easy! It saves time for everyone.

2 Likes

If I really want to know that things like mysterious location (“close to a subway”, “in a village 15 minutes from the city”), the time for how long the pets can be left alone, where they sleep, etc, I might ask. I did that yesterday, and I withdrew my application.

But normally I just do not apply.

Asking loads of questions may put an HO off you, but you don’t need to know transport options or distances to amenities such as shops, as you can easily find that out via google. It sounds like you simply need one question, the actual location of their village, or town. So apply, but end it by saying if they feel you may be suitable… bla bla bla and then ask the question directly about their home village/town location.

If you want all of the answers before you write a personalised application, then ask yourself a question, why should an HO take the time to write a personalised response to all of your questions, when you didn’t take the time to write a personalised application in the first place. They would possibly just choose someone else.

The sleeping arrangements are usually mentioned in their advert if they expect them to sleep in your bed, but just to be doubley-sure, that is an additional question for you to ask AFTER you know whether they are interested in you, via video chat maybe.

It isn’t going ahead until you have all the answers you need anyway, so just apply anyway.

Spot on its one question rating to actual location so I can do my research. Some say no public transport access because I believe they don’t know. I can usually find a way and love the challenge :slight_smile:

I do the same

1 Like