Declined for cancelled sit?

When I book a sit, I cancel any outstanding applications that cover the same time period. Anyone know why I still get declined for applications I’ve withdrawn? I don’rt really want to receive the condescending auto-msgs about not being successful and more sits etc. when I’m already booked during that period.

6 Likes

@YourFunAuntie - Good question, There is an extra feeling of indignation being turned down for a sit when you have already told them you have withdrawn your application!

5 Likes

Hello @YourFunAuntie and welcome to the forum, thank you for your question and I’m going to tag @Katie_Mc who will pick this up when she is back on line.

Obviously this is an automated message and is meant as a motivational message to say perhaps this wasn’t the right sit at this time but there are and will be other opportunities, I also acknowledge your point about already having an alternative sit so the messaging is not applicable.

It’s good feedback though and thank you for posting.

I hope you’ll enjoy being here, connecting with other members and sharing other aspects of your TrustedHousesitters journey.

Thank you,

Angela and the Team

@YourFunAuntie This happens constantly, even receiving two of the messages for the one sit! When I’ve been invited to a sit but decline it, I still get that pesky auto message and I never applied in the first place!

5 Likes

I’m so glad you asked that question. I usually cancel my application for a sit if the homeowner hasn’t read my message within a certain time frame, so it’s extra annoying to get that automated message.

It’s kind of like being in a dating situation, breaking up with someone, and them wanting to break up with you after the fact.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Why has the world become so sensitive? It is obviously an automated message and can be easily ignored. Yes, THS could probably tweak their automated system to ignore people who have withdrawn but that costs money. Maybe that’s what they are going to do with the increased revenue from the new membership scheme?.? (Can you tell I’m not a supporter?) If a round robin from the owner appears, they haven’t made the effort to take your name off the group or maybe they can’t?
Like other posters, once I am accepted for a sit I reply to the other sits in that timeframe with a polite message saying I can’t do their sit anymore but would be interested in any sits in the future. I usually get a very positive reply and I have had future sits from some of these owners.

3 Likes

I agree that it is annoying and I, too, have received 2 messages for the same application, the second one was received over a month after the first one. How can that happen?
The IT department in THS has never been a strong point, as evidenced by the many negative comments on the review site Trust Pilot. This is why I groan when “new and exciting” changes are launched when there are always problems with ongoing systems.

2 Likes

Hi @YourFunAuntie.

Thank you for asking these questions, I am sorry that these automated emails are causing an inconvenience for you.

We currently don’t have the inbox set up to recognise whether you as a sitter declined an invite or the owner declined your applications. Therefore we only have one automated messages currently.

We appreciate your feedback regarding this.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, friends.

Interestingly, one homeowner reached out of their own accord to decline with a personal message noting even they thought the auto-message was “a bit cold”.

I like the idea of letting the overlapped applications know with a polite note and saying one would be interested in the future.

Happy sitting!

3 Likes

Why did we get a n email saying we were unlucky this time from a sit we had declined some time ago? Is it because the HO has just chosen somebody and the system thinks we are still applicants?

This has been raised before. If you use the magnifying glass at top right and key in " Declined for cancelled sit " it should take you to the relevant thread.

Hello @Goodboyjakey Thank you for asking your question here on the forum.
As @Itchyfeet says this topic has been discussed in another post, but here’s Katie’s (Membership Services) answer specifically:

Hope that helps. All the best
Vanessa

1 Like

And what about receiving a Declined message from TH on a sit I didn’t even apply for, but was invited to by the home owner and which I declined the same day. I think the lack of resolution of this particular flaw in the automated system shows some lack of respect for sitters. It does not seem that it would be that difficult to place a filter into the automated system…… just sayin’! It is quite ridiculous to receive a sad ‘so sorry you weren’t successful this time, but keep your chin up’ type message’ to a sit that you declined an invitation to…… Ha ha!

5 Likes

Hi Kath and lovely to see you here in the forum, you will be a great contributor! And thanks for your feedback. There’s a lot of discussion on this topic on another post as per the link mentioned above that you might find interesting to read. The great thing about this forum is that the product team and membership services directly see the things that members both love or find frustrating. As a member I’m encouraged that this space now exists to effect change in positive ways when possible, and when beneficial for all members. Software changes on a complex site are often more difficult than you might imagine, but updates and fixes are made all the time behind the scenes, so fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:Have a lovely weekend.

2 Likes

In a nutshell this is a scenario that happened today. I was invited for a sit without an accompanying message. As I wasn’t available or interested (due to the lack of internal photos) I was tempted to just decline without an accompanying message.
As the homeowners were new to THS I decided to send a respectful message with a few what I thought would be helpful tips on securing a sitter - such as indicating they had read the profile and providing more photos. I put a lot of thought into the response as I didn’t want to cause offence. I received no response and to add insult to injury I have just received a message saying application denied!! I had already declined the sit after my message. A lucky escape I feel and I won’t waste my time on the next invite I receive with no accompanying message.

3 Likes

I recently contacted THS, asking if there was a way I could withdraw an application in order to avoid this. Apparently there is not. It would be helpful to have a “cancel application” option. Especially when it involves an HO who is not reading messages!

3 Likes

Great feedback, thank you @gardengirl we will pass to the Product Team

I have just declined an invite. I used to reply with a friendly polite message but this now seems to lead to me receiving one of those ‘sorry you have been declined’ emails when it actually me who has declined the sit? So sadly I just click decline now. I am sure this never used to happen?

Hi @Devon, we are sorry for the inconvenience, there is a known glitch in the system which the tech team are working to fix as soon as possible.

Glad to hear this is being addressed. I think the HOs would appreciate some attention to the decline process as well.

I’ve had two notes from HO’s with popular sits saying “we know the auto-response is cold, so wanted to personally thank you for applying”. Perhaps a better-worded auto-decline message could also be incorporated.

2 Likes