Discover Uruguay

Heard about this months ago but now I can confirm with knowledge vs here say.

Swimsuits are optional for males and females.

Reason #964 I love it here.

Sorry Kitty yoga blocked the view.

5 Likes

What an adorable Kitty!!

2 Likes

She’s beautiful even though she has mustache and a goatee

7 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous- you lucky thing -having her to care for! I especially love your first pic- kitty down-dog pose!:rofl::joy:

2 Likes

One week in and I am loving life.
People have been extremely helpful and very welcoming. I will say speaking the language helps so if you don’t, can’t or won’t you will need assistance.
Some people actually speak English very well but don’t share that until you have a bit of a rapport going on.
Have an appointment for my carne de Salud (health card)on Monday. Cost for exam at Medilab is $800 pesos which is about $20. That is for urine analysis (specimen container was under $1 in Farmashop which is pharmacy/health and beauty store), blood chemistry, dental check and vision screening. They accept payment with international visa debit card.

Today I went to the Féria, open air fresh market thank you very much :hugs: some accept card most want cash as well as a needed to buy rechargeable bus card and for prepaid phone. I got beautiful produce for $6. Lettuce was 2 for 50 pesos with is about $1.50 for both.
Walked to the banks in Montevideo, withdrew cash ($6 fee and $300 daily limit) and got info on what is required to open a bank account/debit card. More on that later.
Baby steps but coming along. I am very happy to be here.
Because I intend to stay here long term I am preparing to submit application for temporary residency.

People absolutely love their animals here!
There are dogs everywhere, not strays but on leads and running and playing in the water.
Lots of holistic veterinary clinics.

5 Likes

Finished my first absollovely sit a few days ago.
With wonderful suggestions and assistance from HO, just two weeks in the country I now have a phone, bus pass, private health insurance :star_struck: and the national health card. As far health insurance, I did some shopping around and personally visited a few places and have to add the efficiency and manner, the services offered is impressive and as a health care professional I’m not easily impressed ! This was impressive.
have more miles logged on foot in forever.

A bit of weather today, bye Dorothy!
Having lots of fun poking around asking questions and meeting locals. Wonderful convos with pharmacists and doctors.
Poking around shops learning about different types of food and their prep. Too much fun.

Pinching babies as I go to add some life to my tiny place.
And discovered this today!
Boy I am in trouble.

Creamy spreadable caramel a traditional treat with tea or coffee.

A neighbor shared this one.
Stay happy and well wherever you are.

5 Likes

Looks amazing @Amparo. South American continent is on my bucket list but I’m afraid my knowledge of many countries within is limited.
Thanks for the great pics and info.

4 Likes

Never been before and it is beyond my expectations. Uruguay is not « cheap ». It is considered the Switzerland of South America yet average income is $400 USD/mo.
Oh interesting fact, USD is widely used!
Food in grocery shops is pricey but fresh local veg is abundant, delicious and well priced.
People are incredibly kind, polite and gracious.
They are very hard working, live and live, with an absolute zest and respect for life,
The country motto is Libertad O Muerte!
Freedom or death!
Rings true for me.

I like it here. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

A lot of these windsurfers are women and young girls!
Women are very independent and respected,
X

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experiences! Exciting, amazing, wonderful.

2 Likes

Hi @Amparo. Thanks for the great pictures! We loved our time in Uruguay and hope to get back there again one day. Such a great country. I’m glad you’re enjoying it.

1 Like

Uruguay has a long standing tradition and a very unique way of having a barbecue. This video is 14 minutes of a very rare personal experience in a private home, 3 generations of one family (my Abssofabulous HO). I was privileged to be inviting participate and allowed to record what was actually 4 hours of prep and cooking, and eating? Pretty much from noon till 8pm :smirk:
The video is in Spanglish though I did my best to translate and explain as best he did.
Learning different cultures is always a great part of travel but to be welcomed and integrate into not only a culture, but a family is a gift and a Christmas I will not soon forget.

Please feel free to ask any questions I can answer. Enjoy.

PS: all posted with permission
PSS Uruguay’s #1 export is beef and has more cattle per capita in the world.

4 Likes

What a great video @Amparo and fantastic experience! You are a wonderful travel ambassador for Uruguay. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

We love Uruguay and have happy memories from there. We used to live in Argentina and would escape to there from time to time.

3 Likes

Not for any reason other than Life is wonderful.

Officially now a resident in process of the Republic of Uruguay.
Uruguay is one of the easiest countries to obtain a second residency.

people not only walk their dogs but their elderly parents.
Everything is perfect

6 Likes

That’s fantastic @Amparo :clap:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

& lovely photos! :camera::blush:

1 Like

I’m so happy for you @Amparo!

3 Likes

Thank you @Karen_E and @Samox24

I swear I did not know this but so glad I literally have found “my happy place” :grin: I have so many now!
Uruguay has been ranked the Happiest country in South America

Residency in process allows indefinite stay, permanent residency can take 6-12 months. Residency allows full rights and privileges to travel within Mercosur which is very similar to EU.
It has a long standing agreement with the USA, it is the safest country in South America and I can attest to that. It has a very stable economy and democratic government.

And healthcare, well let’s just say, I am impressed and that says a lot.
Healthcare is affordable and available to all PERIOD.
I think I will stay a while.

6 Likes

A big Congratulations @Amparo
So many amazing benefits, and the best part is to see that you have found another ‘happy place’ I always admire your positivity and everything you bring to the forum.

4 Likes

Thank you kindly @Therese
I appreciate your kindness.
X

3 Likes

As Freddy Mercury said, “I’m having a good time, don’t stop me now”
It was 51F/10C a few nights ago and it took me two nights to figure out to make the new heating unit work. But the days have been mostly glorious and I have spent as much time as possible exploring my neighborhood and spent a day with friends and HO’s driving in nearby towns enjoying the countryside and views.
We went to Piriapolis. A small seaside village with some of the highest peaks in Uruguay. Strangely there are many thatched homes much like is seen in the UK.
We had a splendid lunch, fresh fish with ample portions of sides, beverages and desserts included at a place overlooking the bay and village.

This one is for you @Samox24
Today was a another glorious day by the water I decided to take the dive in.

And yes this me, I’ve fallen into the wallpaper!
Don’t stop me now!

5 Likes