Ending my first sit - exit advice

Welcome back @Thatcookster is great to see you again, we hope you have been keeping well.

1 Like

Yes, my cats eat every plant and most flowers are toxic. I only have animal friendly plants in my house lest they chew on the wrong ones. I would avoid flowers on that basis. It is a lovely gesture but I have had many a sick cat after receiving flowers.

2 Likes

Hi @Cin welcome to our community forum thank you for joining and for reminding us that pets are inclined to eat things they shouldn’t, although I’m sure like me, @mars is very careful and no doubt you have your cats strange eating preferences listed in the Welcome Guide … My cats eat Plants" would be a warning to any sitter, a little like my dog eats socks, which could possible refer to a Labrador. Always safety first.

Thank you again for joining and enjoy being part of the conversation.

Angela and the Team

:point_up:t3::point_up:t3::point_up:t3:
It’s not that I don’t like flowers, but here in the house they are either in the way or the cats chew on them. Many flowers are poisonous for cats so I need to put them somewhere they can’t reach, which means they are in places nobody really can enjoy them. I always tell people to please not bring any when invited for dinner or birthdays.

As a homeowner as long as my house is clean and my pets are happy that’s all that matters to me

7 Likes

Hi adventuresinlexington. Where are you based? We are in the UK. Due to all the restrictions going on we have only booked single weeks of holidays this year so if you are in the States it wouldn’t be worth the trip unless you were combining several sits. Let me know

Sometime I leave flowers or a card and now I have the habit to bring with me a little gift (a souvenir from Rome, my hometown).

2 Likes

The most important is looking after the pet/pets looking after the house
Treat both with love and respect

3 Likes

I have found 6 pack and 8 pack of thank you and blank cards for $1 at the Dollar Tree Store.

I don’t leave flowers - possible allergies

2 Likes

Plenty of people don’t have allergies and would welcome flowers.

3 Likes

I love to receive flowers, and I have given them to some of my HO, who have been happy to receive them! I don’t usually leave plants or flowers if there are cats because, as already mentioned, many are toxic. I left a rosemary plant for one HO of a cat because she grew herbs and rosemary is not harmful to cats in small quantities but mostly because she already had many house plants so it seemed the cat didn’t bother them. There’s no hard and fast rule.

Totally agree. We are so glad that this is mutually beneficial for owner and sitter. All we care about is that our pup has been well taken care of and that we have received communication during the stay.

5 Likes

Hi @NancyF welcome back to the forum, it’s been a while and we missed you … hope you have been keeping well.

I’ve been doing this for 4 years. In the beginning, I would just make sure I’ll leave the home as the owners requested. Most owners have said to help to anything in the kitchen. And I usually use up what would go bad before their return. Only once, one owner asked to replace what was used and another I had ask if it was OK to use the basics like oil and seasoning.

I always wash the bedding and clean everything at least in the condition at arrival. I’ve never left flowers but sometimes I would leave treats if my luggage has room. Otherwise, I try to make them, especially if I know they’re returning late in the day.

1 Like

I found a couple non flowers but still flowers gift ideas & possible to find something similar up in your wee part of the planet.

3 Likes

It sounds like you have done an awesome job. If someone leaves my house they way you are going to, I would be very pleased.

One thing I do in U.S. sits is to make a refrigerator magnet with their pets on it. I take my hint from the homeowners. If their refrigeration doesn’t have any papers or magnets on it, I don’t leave one. Because CVS Drugstores can make one in an hour, it’s easy to do and so far people have loved them. I petsat two cats in Montreal, Canada and didn’t know what was available in terms of making the magnets so I sent them a thank you magnet upon my return. They loved it. We have kept in touch and they have told me that the photo collage makes them happy every time they look at it.

10 Likes

I think you sound a great and considerate sitter @adventuresinlexinton. I love baking and most people enjoy my scones, so I quite often make them for the homeowners arrival home. They are usually much appreciated and enjoyed.

5 Likes

Hi everyone! I was wondering if you travel with your own linens and towels or ask HO in advance?

Sound stupid but I embarrassed to ask and don’t want to travel with unnecessary stuff as well in case if HO usually provide it.

Everything else, like shampoo etc - ofc, I’d take mine… but what about basics like oil etc? Do I buy it for a week sit?

2 Likes

Hi @rusicat and welcome. There are no stupid questions. Those that you wonder about are the ones that may become important when you are on a sit.

Often you can find answers by using the spyglass option and searching your key words. The conversation about sheets and towels has been active and ongoing for a while and you’ll see a wide range of opinions.

I often ask about bed size, especially if I am using my car and it will be far more convenient for travelling, to take my own bedding home to wash. The first time I asked about the bed size, leading into that conversation, I was told it was a king size. I only have sheets for double or queen, so I had to pass on my idea. I do take one of every towel, including kitchen linens. That way I can easily wash theirs the day before and use mine on the last day.

Here’s another post with lots of responses on basic household supplies.

Make sure to ask about any details, if they’re not provided. It makes things clearer for you and the homeowner.

4 Likes