European Bathrooms

I’m so glad the places we stayed in in Amsterdam and Germany too didn’t have any of these poo shelves :joy:

Why @Kelly? Don’t you want to inspect your bowl movement? In detail, staring you in the face…

:wink:

@richten1 that explains it!! We’ve just spent over 4 months in the UK and we were wondering why there are no power points in the bathrooms. We also have 240v power in Australia and every bathroom & ensuite has at least one power point. Like others I had to use a hair dryer in the dining room but hey, first world problems!

2 Likes

Haha! In my original post, I say “There are a few things that really bother me about European bathrooms”. The ‘poop shelf’ (:rofl: @MissChef) is the other that I did not mention because I could not find the words. I could not figure out why every European bathroom has to supply a toilet scrubber instead of just changing the shape of the bowl!!! I have learned so much today!!!

@SunshineAndAloha: Thanks for the entertaining—and informative—post. I didn’t know about poop shelves, but actually I think they could be handy. Stool samples are kinda “in” these days. Scientists can learn a lot about someone’s health from them, without requiring more invasive techniques. For example, one might be able to give a stool sample and, if it’s fine, avoid a colonoscopy. I think you can also tell a lot about someone’s gut biome from their stools. Sorry, I used to work for a biotech. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

@geoff.hom You sound just like one of my good friends who just completed her PhD! Her current research involves development of novel computational methods to identify important features in longitudinal microbiome studies using machine learning methods. Her projects include microbiome studies on autism spectrum disorder and a diet intervention in HIV-infected individuals. I think you two would have a lot to talk about :smile:

2 Likes

I was really laughing out loud with this one! :joy:

Really helpful, informative & fun conversation although not one to read at the breakfast table … :joy:

I’m for power sockets and light switches in the bathroom, I sometimes have problems curling my hair!!

1 Like

I once had a conversation about the fact that sockets are not allowed in bathrooms in the UK, and he said that this was much safer.

I grew up in Germany. My grandparents’ loo had this shelf thing. Also a cistern above the toilet with a rope to pull. I loved doing that as a kid. The cistern was modernised later but the shelf stayed…

I’m in Denmark now and my Airbnb from last night had a plug socket right by the sink. My mother in Germany has one too. It’s handy for charging an electric toothbrush.

I live in Ireland now and plug sockets in bathrooms are considered dangerous there. Electric showers are common though, does everyone know what they are?

2 Likes

I live in Spain, we do have plugs. We have visited many European countries and have not noticed this problem ever. Americans are not the only people who use outlets in the bathrooms, in South America they do. Are you sure you searched for it carefully?

1 Like

Same in most of Greece. I did a month on the Athens Rivera where they had a toilet paper bin.

1 Like

@andrealovesanimals: Please, enlighten us! What’s an electric shower? Sounds scary! :sweat_smile:

@geoff.hom
The water is heated instantly in an electrical box. You need to press an ON button to get the shower going and there are no taps/faucets on it. You can regulate the temperature with a sort of dial and you can select the type of water pressure.
One advantage is that you don’t need a boiler to heat the water.
Lots of people are very confused when they first see them…

1 Like

Not at all!
I think anyone who has stayed at a cottage/cabin would be used to the nuances of a septic system.

2 Likes

Hi @geoff.hom @andrealovesanimals explanation is spot on …

Adding this for the process and detail person inside of you

1 Like

Thanks @andrealovesanimals and @Angela_L! It sounds similar to a tankless water heater (or identical?). I’ve never used either. But one of these sounds like something I’d use if I ever build my own tiny home. :grin:

Angela’s link noted that a “power shower” can use even more water than a bath, which is a disappointment. I look forward to going on a sit someday where I can try one of these out. =)

@geoff.hom it is like an instant water heater but should be noted that there is often a remote power switch outside the bathroom to switch it on. This can sometimes be ‘hidden’ in a cupboard close by. If this isn’t switched on you will get a very cold shower!

1 Like

@geoff.hom
If you pet sit in the UK or Ireland, you’re very likely to experience electric showers.
You could ask the home owners in advance and tell them you’re really keen to try one out :laughing:
As far as I know the water comes from the pipes, not a tank.

1 Like

@Twitcher
Yes that’s true. Sometimes you need to pull a cord. If there is no power it usually doesn’t work at all, not even with cold water. It happened to me a few times when I wasn’t familiar with them. I pressed the Start button and nothing happened :upside_down_face: