Favourite or Unusual Architecture Of The World

Hi @luckycat we absolutely love The Alhambra too, it is just wow!

The Alhambra which is arguably the pinnacle of Europe’s Moorish palaces. This really is a truly special experience to visit here. The palace was built under Ismail I and Muhammad V caliphs when the Nasrid dynasty ruled Granada. Seeking to belie an image of waning power, they created their idea of paradise on earth. Modest materials were used (plaster,timber and tiles), but they were superbly worked. The Alhambra complex includes the Palacios Nazaries, the 13th Century Alcazaba, the 16th Century Palace of Carlos I and the Generalife. Although the Alhambra suffered pillage and decay, including an attempt by Napoleon’s troops to blow it up, in recent times it has undergone extensive restoration and its delicate craftsmanship still dazzles the eye.

4 Likes

Loved all the architecture in DC, was just there on a 3 week sit. The detail on the row homes was just amazing. I could literally walk for hours looking at that kind of stuff.

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve been lucky to live all over the country and can live anywhere nowadays, because I telecommute. I chose to return to live in the area, because of its history, museums and architecture. It’s also terrifically close to so many great places on even short road trips and train trips.

2 Likes

The Registan in Samarkand, Uzbekistan. It was amazing. Alhambra would be a close runner up though!

5 Likes

I love The Chrysler Building. New York City. I try to get a glimpse every time I’m in Manhattan.

4 Likes

The public toilets in Kawakawa, New Zealand - North Island. The Austrian architect and artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser moved to New Zealand about 1973. Hundertwasser Toilets - Wikipedia

There is also a steam train ride on weekends and glow worm caves nearby.

7 Likes

Taos is one of my favorite places in the world :earth_americas:

One of the fortifications in Mdina Malta. This was back in 2012 while traveling through the Adriatic.

https://mdina.lc.com.mt/history-of-mdina

2 Likes

The Wayfarer’s Chapel in Palos Verdes, CA designed by Frank Lloyd Wright is in a wooded setting that overlooks the Pacific Ocean. I first saw it 34 years ago and went back a year ago with the two little Chihuhuas I was watching at the time.
And in July while on a sit in Oslo, I saw the Hope Cathedral, a lovely non-denominational structure crafted by volunteers in Frederikstad, Norway.

7 Likes

The Borgund Stave Church in Norway. :norway:

Built around 1180 and dedicated to the Apostle Andrew. The church is exceptionally well preserved and it is the most distinctive stave church in Norway.

5 Likes

Norway had some veey unique architecture this one definitely falls into that category.

1 Like

The Royal Pavilion Brighton Sussex
Built 1820 by King George IV in an Indian style with Chinese interiors, it was likened to the Kremlin, a table top of chessmen, and as if ‘St Paul’s in London had travelled to the south coast and had pups!’

5 Likes

I love the funky and colorful Victorians of my home town of San Francisco.

6 Likes

Palace of fine arts San francisco built for a worlds fair and expo…

6 Likes

As for a structure I find fascinating, it would be the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, Spain. Designed by Antoni Gaudi its a masterpiece of Gothic and Art Nouveau

1 Like

Panama City, Art Museum

3 Likes

One of the new Seven Wonders of the World, Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi

2 Likes