Feeling slightly awkward about asking for a repeat review

Hi everyone!

I’ve just finished my fifth repeat sit over two years for the very same people. All is good and we both gave each other a really good review after the first sit. However, neither of us have reviewed the other for the repeat sits that have been done since.

These people live in a highly sought after location so they would always get applicants so there is not really an incentive on their side. I’m wondering whether just leaving it with gaps on my record will affect my standing as a sitter or whether I need to somehow broach it with the HOs for us to start reviewing each other again. I have 21 x 5 star reviews currently and 1 x 4 star it’s not like I need more in terms of quantity necessarily. Would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions…!

I would ask for the review. It is such a small request compared to what you have given to them and their pets.

2 Likes

It does not need to be a long text. It is sufficient when they write that they are very happy with you and that you have been back several times. That would be a plus for you.

So you know these people well and I am wondering why you are so hesitant to ask for such a small “favour” (hardly a favour, just expected behaviour on THS). If they don’t, I would stop sitting for them.

But unreviewed sits are only damaging for the record of HOs (only visible in the app).

2 Likes

@Chatsetchiens Also think of it from prospective sitters looking at that owner’s listing. They have 4 blank reviews from you yet their blank reviews do not get registered on your profile. It could well impact them getting a different sitter if you were unavailable or sitters could also think it’s not worth them applying where they’ve had you all the time and assume that’s likely to happen again.

Clearly they like you as you’ve been back numerous times. Just let them know it would be superhelpful and appreciated as it will help you get other sits. I would even ask them to make it clear that it was your x time sitting for them and they’re always happy to invite you back because …

1 Like

We sat for the same people 4 times but I still ask for a review. Sometimes the home owner needs a gentle nudge, but he knows it is important to us so he always does it.
We don’t want ’blank’ reviews on our record as someone may wrongly assume there had been a problem.
Don’t feel awkward about asking, just explain why you need the review.

1 Like

It’s an easy request to make especially if it was done through THS. Repeat sits speak for themselves in that you got invited back but probably better to have a short review saying “Chatsetchiens sat for us again. Great experience as always”.

1 Like

I don’t understand the hesitation to ask for a review for repeat sits. Did you somehow put in little or no effort into a repeat sit? Probably not. If not, then why would it be an imposition to ask for a review? And as others have mentioned, reviews for repeats don’t need to be in-depth.

2 Likes

Definitely ask them for a review and ask them to mention that you are a ‘go-to’ sitter for them. Don’t sell yourself short.

2 Likes

I have carried out many repeat sittings and have always asked for and received a review.
On one of my sits, the owner told me that he treats repeat reviews as an extra quality as he could see that owners definitely want us back.

In the unlikely event that an owner didn’t supply another review then , like @pietkuip , I wouldn’t return

2 Likes

@Chatsetchiens I don’t understand your reluctance to ask for a review?! If this was a paid job surely you’d be expecting to get paid EVERY time you sit!
Reviews are the currency of THS!
You undersell yourself if you don’t request a review every time as it is also their opportunity to acknowledge and appreciate you again and again! They obviously value you highly if they keep inviting you for repeat sits so let them express it in a review!! What you could do now is ask them- in the next review- to mention how many times you’ve sat for them- as none of those sits with missing reviews show up on your profile. So future hosts don’t know you sat multiple times for the same host! Repeat sitting is viewed very positively as hosts can see your reliability etc.
For us a sit without a review is a wasted sit! We have three missing reviews- for different reasons- and each one stings a bit! When you put your heart and soul into a sit a great review is the proper completion, and a much deserved reward, of the sit. :star_struck:

3 Likes

Really? You had a comfortable place to stay, and the company of a pet whose food did not cost you anything.

I suppose you have loads of reviews. What does yet another one matter?

Even on hospex sites I don’t see it like that when I am hosting couchsurfers. It is the pleasure of the guests’ company that makes it worth the effort. I may ask for a reference when a surfer was there in the beginning of the season, to demonstrate that I am still an active host on the site. Otherwise I don’t care.