First aid training for pets

Would it be possible and interesting to have a first aid training on line for the petsitters? There is one offered in Montréal

First-Aid Training for Pets
Did you know that there is specific first-aid knowledge and skills for sick or injured cats and dogs that can help save your pet’s life?

The pet first-aid course teaches you how to safely and effectively care for your sick or injured pet until you can visit your veterinarian.

For more information :
ambulancesaintjeanquebec.ca

1 Like

That’s a really good idea.

3 Likes

Our local vet offers a Canine first aid course with a certificate when completed . Homeowners tell us they feel reassured we have the knowledge to deal with minor problems.

2 Likes

Brilliant idea!!! I will check out with vets/animal rescue centres I’m in touch with in the countries I “normally” travel.

1 Like

Hi Guys,
We are new to house sitting and just wondering if anyone can recommend any useful courses to do. We have done a canine first aid/cpr course and a chicken care course. Any other interesting courses you can suggest?
Thank you.

Hi Teresa Welcome to our community forum and what a great opening question also perhaps you could share the courses you have already done, if they are on line of course. We have surveyed our members periodically to assess the interest for courses and it will be interesting to see the response to your request.

Thank you for joining in the conversation and we’d love to share in your THS story. Enjoy the conversations and connecting with our members from around the world.

Angela and the Team

1 Like

We’ve been looking into doing a pet first aid course, not sure where to look - if anyone has any suggestions of UK courses, it would be greatly appreciated!

We’re also keen on doing a dog behaviour/training course, just in case we have to look after some naughty puppies! :laughing:

3 Likes

Hi Chris & Suze there are a number of online courses I will see if there are other options via the Vet Help Line Service THS uses and perhaps there are forum members who can recommend.

Would be great to find these courses in Aus or NZ so we can support local operators. I did a quick search & none avail atm :cry:

2 Likes

Hi @TheMapleKiwi the Australian Red Cross do have some courses also Pet Professional …
I haven’t explored either, I just did a quick search.

2 Likes

Had a look for Nz based courses but as none avail, shall do an oz based one :+1:

1 Like

edX (courses from many institutions, free to audit) offers a couple of related courses:

Through our library’s online resources, we can access Gale courses. Start a Pet Sitting Business, taught by a veterinarian, included modules on canine and feline behaviour and pet first aid (including giving meds). There are also two levels of veterinary assistant courses there that probably include applicable skills (when the course is free, I’m quite comfortable picking and choosing the parts that I want to invest time into!).

1 Like

I love the idea of first aid training for pets. I did a search for my area in Florida and 6 different cities were listed. The only city that had available dates, I will be on a pet sit during that time.

I will continue to look for available dates. I would love to have the knowledge of this training. One never knows when the training will be needed.

1 Like

Hi sorry for raising this again, but I thought one last time…
As a cat and home sitter, I really do want to access some good basic small animal/ cat first aid formal training as something to offer a homeowner. I am good at thinking on my feet and dealing with emergencies generally, but I think a course would be useful. This would be in the UK. If anyone knows of anything please do mention it on this forum- even a really good online one would be useful but my preference is for face to face and UK

Thanks

https://www.rspcaleedsandwakefield.org.uk/first-aid-reactive-dog-course/

If you contact your local PDSA or RSPCA I’m sure they would be happy to let you know when the next local course will be happening

2 Likes

I can vouch for the UK PDSA course… My partner and I did a full day and learned a lot about what to look out for, as well as emergency procedures if no immediate access to a vet. Very professional and informative. I know they stopped it during the pandemic but hopefully it’s running again now.

2 Likes

sadly they have stopped it

Hi @apresmoiledeluge these links may help you in your search …