Full time traveler - City for my profile?

I’m a full time digital nomad currently traveling in the U.S. and plan to travel soon to Canada and Europe.

In our member profile we can only list one city and the city I was living in when I joined TH was Atlanta, GA. However, I’m currently in Texas with plans to travel throughout Texas and the West Coast…

Full time traveler - City for my profile?

My question is: When homeowners see my city as “Atlanta” and I’m applying for a sit in Texas… are they concerned that I need to drive or fly across country and what if my flight is cancelled etc.

So would they rather pick someone closer to their city? If so, should I update my profile to a local city for example Dallas, TX so they are not concerned about my travel distance?

But of course I don’t live in Dallas so that might cause more confusion…

Ideally if it were possible to select in our member profiles options like:

1 - City (currently the only option)
2 - Country (or region like North America, Europe etc.)
3 - Full time traveler (Which I think might the best description for many member)

Thanks in advance,

Rich

I’m a full time nomadic sitter also. I use San Diego as my home base since my son lives there. I haven’t had any trouble getting sits anywhere in the U.S. Sometimes a HO in San Diego County asks why I would want to do a sit so close to home and I explain that I’m nomadic but TH requires a place…it’s never been an issue.

2 Likes

I just change my city to my current location as I move around. For example, when I was in London I changed my location to London. When I arrived in Bangkok I changed my location to Bangkok.

3 Likes

We do the same as @kimshady, we move the location and city to where we are or where we are headed next in our travel plans @Podcaster #sofarsogood :raised_hands:t3: after 17 countries and about 50 cities

3 Likes

I think changing to current city as has been said above is very helpful for an HO because then we know where you’re coming from. You can list your hometown in your profile if that’s something you want to share. But yea, I would treat location as “current location” if you’re sitting full-time. :+1:t4:

1 Like

Hi Rich, good for you! I wish there’d been some5hing like this when we were younger; or maybe there was and I just didn’t know. I personally don’t look where the sitters are from/living. It’s not my business why they want to sit a flight from my home. I’m just grateful someone wants to. Make the most of it - enjoy!

1 Like

I tend to put the city I’m currently in or the one I am hoping to sit in. I change it regularly and don’t worry too much about it :smile:

2 Likes

I changed my city to the one I would like to be in rather than the one I am in. Primarily because i got hundreds of request over the years to do ‘local sits’ as owners didn’t realise sitters may want to travel and that THS was just a free version of Rover.
I would say set it to where you currently are or where you plan to be. If you see a listing where the owner is specifically requesting local people or someone in the country (this happened a lot during travel restrictions or potential travel restrictions) and you’re either there or have firm plans to be there then set it that before applying guilt-free.

2 Likes

We also change our city regularly to the city we want to be in the future, not the one we are staying in currently or have left in the past.

This gives you a better chance of getting private invitations to the city you want to visit in the future

2 Likes

Wow I appreciate all the responses and insights very helpful. I like the idea of updating my profile to the next city I want to visit!

it’s giving manifesting the next destination and I love it. lol!

Yes I would update my profile to where I wanted to be next and then explain in my application where I was based/what I was doing (road tripping at the time). Ahead of moving to a fixed area I’ve set my location to there and booked quite a few sits that way. No one has felt confused or misled to my knowledge!