Hello fellow House sitters

Hi everyone,
I am new to this site and looking forward to joining you all in this forum. I am from Vancouver :canada: and have recently retired and wishing to travel once the Covid situation is under control.

I am also wishing to exchange my place for yours if you are so inclined and i am willing to look after your pet as well. I am looking for a little dog presently but very hard to get simply because the everyone also want a pet during the height of covid time. So i will just wait.

I enjoy reading your posts and look forward to hopefully contributing to this community in a meaningful way.

Stay safe and best regards to all
Carolyn

8 Likes

Hello Carolyn ,welcome to our Community Forum and thank you for joining from the beautiful city of Vancouver, :canada: (my home town) thank you for your great introduction and for contributing to the conversation. Pet ownership has exploded across the globe since the pandemic and there will be many pet parents looking for sitters to keep their furry family members safe and happy at home once they begin to travel again.

Thank you again for joining, you’ll find great help, support and inspiration from our amazing community, enjoy connecting with other members from around the world.

Angela and the Team

Bonjour et Bienvenue from Québec, Carolyn !

1 Like

Heh Carolyn, I am from Vancouver too but live also in Spain. All my family is in Vancouver but I prefer my place in Spain (LOL). And Angela also is from Vancouver!! Nice to meet you both from the old home town. Not that Vancouver is any longer like the town I grew up in so many years ago now. :grin:

1 Like

We have so many dogs (and cats) needing homes here in Spain. Maybe next time I can actually get a flight to Vancouver I could bring a dog for you! :rofl:

2 Likes

Hi Carolyn. The Hague calling. Here’s wishing you many happy years getting to know many little THS pets and their owners. I’ve really enjoyed myself the last couple of years traveling to meet new people and their pets and got to visit some lovely places. Hoping myself to get out to Canada someday so always options to do a swap house and pet for just house in my case!!! Have fun with THS!

1 Like

Hi Angela.
Thank you for your warm welcome.

Having gone through some many lockdowns I sometimes wonder where everyone has disappeared to.

Also got other welcome emails and sure feel things are still normal or will get back to better then before.

Vancouver is as beautiful as before and weather is perking up. I do hope you get to visit your home town once again.

Chat again soon
Carolyn

1 Like

Thanks you so much Brigitte.
Carolyn

2 Likes

Hi Kerri
Thank for the lovely mail and your warm welcome. I am glad to meet another canadian on this forum.

I visited Spain a few years ago and absolutely loved it there. .
I love the food, the people and the beautiful country side.

Thank you for offering to bring a dog over here for me. I would like that very much but i am not sure how the importing of animals go and don’t want to put you through too many hoops for me. Tho i am very grateful.
Perhaps we could discuss further.

I look forward to being in this great community and sharing our common love of animals .

Chat again soon
Carolyn

1 Like

Welcome Carolyn: We love Vancouver, so perhaps we may be able to travel to the area at some point. While you are looking for the right dog, you may consider volunteering and/or fostering for a shelter or rescue. I do that in Atlanta. It gives me my pet-fix when I am in-between pet-sits. It is also ver rewarding to see them land in great homes. Many shelters also have “foster to adopt” programs where you can adopt the foster, if you fall in love with them. Having a foster dog for the first 5 months of the pandemic while I was working from home was a huge blessing to us both.

1 Like

Hi Southernsitter,

Thanks for the welcome and your suggestion about volunteering and adoption routes

Here in Vancouver, these routes are all tapped out. I have a friend that tried both and there are so many people volunteering that she cant get in.
No dogs up for adoption either.

But i am ok to wait things out. I miss my golden retriever a lot. She passed away 8 years ago.

Cheerio…
Carolyn

2 Likes

Hi Kerri
You got my mind swelling with wanting a dog from Europe now.
Do you know if they have Portuguese Water Dogs available there for sale?

Thanks Kerri
Carolyn

1 Like

Funny you should mention that breed Carolyn. One of the so called “hunters” here in our area had a female kept permanently on a chain with 2 pups running around wild. We rescued them all and within a week those pups were adopted from the Dog Shelter as they were SO adorable. We were very happy to save them so they could have a proper home. So the answer is definitely yes. There are so many shelters here in Spain. You can find them easily by doing a search online. Some even specialize sending dogs to Europe but not sure about Canada. Still, you can find them and see if they can arrange it. You would certainly be giving a worthy dog a chance at a new life as there are so many over here. If I can help to coordinate I will.

1 Like

Hi Kerri

Thanks for the tip.

I did go searching and found that there are none for sale right now but have put my name on the list to be advised.

I would like to adopt a part breed of a water dog too if there are any to be had.

Thanks again for your tips.

Stay safe…Carolyn.

1 Like

Welcome Carolyn: I’m also pretty new to this forum, so welcome. We live in Cochrane AB and also wish to travel soon. House swapping is a great idea.
Good luck with your 4 legged furry friend hunt. We have an awesome humane society in Cochrane, and they always have available dogs looking for a forever home.
Fran

1 Like

Hi Fran

I am sorry but apparently i was not supposed to say home xchange as it is not a home exchange site.

Sorry about that.

Carolyn

2 Likes

No problem. I actually didn’t know that, so I’m also learning.

2 Likes

Hi Carolyn, no problem at all please don’t feel badly, home exchange/swapping is not facilitated on the site however that is not to say it’s not been discussed, the only reason we don’t promote is purely for that reason.