Hello from a Couple of Cat Loving Nomads

Hi Everyone! My husband James and I are new to THS, and we’re very excited to be here. At the moment, we are sitters, and we’ll definitely be referring people to this community.

I’m editor-in-chief for North America of the “111 Places That You Must Not Miss” guidebook series (“for locals and experienced travelers”), and James is a technology consultant. We generally spend time between Paris and New York. And because we can work from anywhere, we’ve been loving the freedom to travel and get to know new places around the world.

James loves to tend to gardens, and Karen is an indoor plant person, especially orchids. We’ve had some wonderful kitties, and so we are looking forward to meeting new ones around the world through this community. :smiley_cat:

We are happy to visit any place, and we’ll be keeping an eye out for places in Scotland, Iceland, Chile, and Brazil!

We look forward to meeting you all and hearing about your experiences with THS! :smiley:

8 Likes

@KarenNJames welcome to the forum! Looks like you are well on your way to being a great member of this furball loving community!

Thank you for joining our community forum. You are going to find it is filled with answers to most, if not all, of your questions and enquiries.

My name is Debbie and I am one of the forum moderators, as well as a sitter member of TrustedHousesitters. I was an owner member for three years and have now moved over to a sitter membership, so I have insight into both sides of the memberships.

I am hoping this info will help you find your way around the platform and interest you to join in the conversations. It can be a little daunting and confusing at first, so we included this handy guide

How to use our Community Forum | TrustedHousesitters.com

Our members are connecting every day and the forum is a great place where you can get to know one another. Please take a moment to introduce yourself About the introduce yourself category - Introduce Yourself - TrustedHousesitters Community Forum by giving us as little or as much info as you prefer. If you are confused on what to say, we have some great suggestions:

• How long have you been a member of Trustedhousesitters?
  • Where is your home location?
  • As a sitter, please share with us where you prefer to sit (dream location, bucket list, etc.)
  • If presently on a sit, tell us about the location and the pets you are caring for.
  • Share pics of you, your own pets, or pets you have cared for or are caring for.

Also, you may want to link your member profile to your forum profile for additional exposure when you are using the forum. To do so just go to How to add a listing or profile link to your FORUM profile

We are always here to help, so please don’t hesitate to message us with any questions or concerns.

Also, can I just ask how you came upon the forum and decided to join? I am always curious as to what drives someone to a certain site.

Have a great day!

Debbie – Forum Team Moderator

eHH

Hi @KarenNJames and welcome. We are a family of housesitters from the UK.

I had to stop by and say hello when you mentioned the “111 places” guidebook series. We did a housesit in Bristol, UK in February, and the homeowners had a copy of “111 places that you shouldn’t miss in Bristol”. We loved that it showed us some unusual or unexpected places and made a point of visiting some of them. There was a memorial for a plane crash in the park right opposite the house that we wouldn’t have noticed if it hadn’t been for the book. One of the strangest things was a wicker nose on the side of a house!

6 Likes

Oh, that’s wonderful! I’ve run into our books in house sits too, and it’s like seeing an old friend! Our Bristol author is fantastic!!! He’s currently working on “111 Places for KIDS in Bristol,” due out next year!

During the worst of the pandemic, we were living in Brooklyn, and so we took out “111 Places in Brooklyn” and amused ourselves by walking all over to find the outdoor places in the book. I edited it, but I hadn’t actually visited a lot of the places in it. Our excursions were the perfect distractions from the troubles all around us.

We also use our books in any new city we visit - we found so many cool places in Edinburgh and Glasgow recently that we’d never have known about otherwise! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing. My daughter and her husband will be moving to Amsterdam in a few months, so it will make a great housewarming gift! I’m also looking forward to exploring different and other interesting places with them when I am there.

3 Likes