Hello from Mankato, Minnesota

Hello, my name is Alecia and I just joined Trusted Housesitters a few weeks ago. I’m supposed to leave for a cruise in three weeks and am having trouble finding a pet sitter for my 7 yo beagle, Remington. Someone suggested I try THS so here I am! Unfortunately, I’m not getting any responses to my listing (except for a local woman who wanted to charge me $100 a night - I declined and reported her). Remington is blind and diabetic and I think that scares a lot of people away. However, she’s really very easy to take care of. I’m going to try inviting some local sitters to apply and see if I get any responses. I hope I can find a sitter soon as it is stressful not knowing if I’ll be able to take my cruise or not. I’m happy to be part of the THS community and am looking forward to getting to know you all.

Edit: Just realized that I didn’t say anything about myself. I’m a single self-employed web designer who enjoys cruising, camping, hiking and seeing the country/world. My beagle, Remington, is my baby girl. I got her when she was 8 weeks old. She is sweet, cuddly and one of the smartest dogs I’ve ever owned.

1 Like

Hi @AllyG47 We can certainly boost your listing again. I will confirm and email you directly from our membership services. Kind regards Therese

2 Likes

Hi @AllyG47 and welcome to TrustedHousesitters and our wider community here in the forum. Let’s see if we can help you find someone to look after Remington and give her the care she needs while you are away. Inviting local sitters is a good way to try and find someone and I’m going to tag @Therese to see if she has any other advice for you.

To reassure anyone who might be concerned about looking after a diabetic pup… we had our first experience of this a few years ago when the dog we were looking after was diagnosed just 2 days before our sit started. The owners were amazing, giving us 2 choices, they’d cancel their trip and we could back out or we’d all learn together how to give the shots. Of course, we learned how to do this and the sit went ahead. It was for us an easy process of injecting while the pup ate and it was like he didn’t even notice. Dogs and food eh? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: We’ve looked after blind dogs too, both who have been amazing. If only we weren’t oceans apart we’d offer to come help you.

I do hope you find someone soon and the next picture we see is you on your cruise!

1 Like

I hope you find a housesitter soon. It can be worrying I’m sure, but you’ve got help and a good idea to approach people yourself also

AllyG
I hope you were able to find a sitter. I’m finishing up a 2 week sit in Eden Prairie tomorrow and then moving on to a sit for family, the Houston and then the LA area so can’t help you out.
I’ve sat with a few blind dogs and I am amazed at how well they do. They seem to have much better spatial memory - all of my sits knew their way around the house just fine and with a bit of care did well outside as well.
Your listing is gone now, I’m guessing you either found someone or?
But - for a sit in Mankato or a place like that, I’d want access to a car - rentals are so expensive now and the sitter needs a way to get out. You may already be offering a car, but just a thought.
Take care.
tom