Hello from Portugal

Hello from Portugal. We are Todd and Dianne. We have lived in Europe for 3 years now, we are originally from Northern California. My husband is semi retired, but he can work from home, so this makes it easier for us to travel, and take care of others pets, and their homes. Hope to meet you soon!

2 Likes

Hi @Dianne
A very big welcome to the Forum, and may you enjoy the discussions and interactions here from many of our more experienced members.

I would also like to suggest that you add your profile link to your forum profile here, so other members will be able to “meet” you properly and will see what owners see when you apply for sits
If you go to your Dashboard on the TrustedHousesitters site, scroll to your green profile box, preview and with that link, copy and paste to your forum profile here.
https://forum.trustedhousesitters.com/t/how-to-add-a-listing-or-profile-link-to-your-forum-profile

I am sure it won’t be long before you secure your first sit and I would like to suggest that you actively look for a local sit/last minute sit to get you started somewhere in Portugal.

Are you happy to sit only in Portugal, or have you got plans of other European countries and pets, that you would like to visit next year?

Best wishes
Therese

2 Likes

Hi Diane,
Just wanted to say hello, as I recently moved from San Francisco to AZ and am looking to become an expat soon. How do you like Portugal?
Best,
Ellie

1 Like

Welcome @Dianne,
Just apply for lots of sits to begin with and consider more local and unpopular locations to get that all important first sit and feedback.
BTW. I’m sitting in Portugal for a week next month. Looking forward to it!

1 Like

Hi Diane. A huge welcome to you. I hope 2023 is full of amazing travels for you. I travel to The Algarve all the time it is so beautiful.

2 Likes

Congrats on your move to Portugal! I spent this past May in Lisbon (with a weekend in Porto), and had a terrific experience.
-Max, also from Northern California

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words, we actually just got our first sit, we are so excited, playing with kitties, and hopefully giving the HO some peace of mind.

2 Likes

Hi Max, thank you for your welcome, My husband and I absolutely love Porto. We are from Placerville!

1 Like

Hi Ellie, I neglected to put your name in the reply box. Please see my answer below.

Hello from the sunny Algarve! This is a very good question. There are many things to consider before making a huge move like this. A couple of reasons we chose Portugal: it is one of the European countries that have made it pretty easy to become temporary residents, and we have been here 3 years, in two years we will qualify to put in for citizenship. Having an EU passport would make travelling around Europe a lot easier. There are some frustrating things about Portugal that drives us absolutely batty, but it is just the Portugal way. Any bureaucracy you have to deal with is a true nightmare. It took them over a year to get our permeant drivers license. Customer service is something close to non existent. But the slower pace of life has been very good for my husband and I . We came and stayed for three months to try and make sure it was something we really wanted to do. My husband and I really enjoy Porto so we go to visit Porto quite a bit. People in the north are much friendlier than her in the south. However we find people here are pretty helpful. I dont know if any of this has helped, and please feel free to ask me any questions you can think of.

3 Likes

Hi DIanne, I just saw your post. This site is the best>
I’m an American that’s lived in Romania 6 years and moving to Porto this fall with Domnul Presedinte, my cat. Come sit for me in Porto this winter!

1 Like

We would love to sit for you, we love Porto, do you have dates yet? Have you moved to Portugal?

Hi @Cat_Aficionado & @Dianne
Just a reminder that all arrangements should be made via direct message to keep those details private.

1 Like

Hello @Dianne and a belated welcome to the Community Forum :wave:t2::slightly_smiling_face:
As @Therese mentioned you can also add your TrustedHousesitters profile on to your forum profile should you wish to. I have attached the link below to show you how to do this.

How are you finding house sitting so far in Portugal?
Have you sat in any other places since your first sit in November?

1 Like