HO changes dates

We agreed to a sit a month ago that was supposed to start this week. HO reached out and had a family emergency and now needed us a week prior for a separate sit. First sit would end the day before original sit was due to start. Now original sit will start 10 days later. This means we need to find a hotel or airbnb for 10 days. Since the sit isn’t canceled only a date change, would this be covered by insurance?

I’d suggest it won’t be covered as your sit hasn’t been cancelled. I think you need to raise your concerns with the HO and if no joy contact support@trustedhousesitters.com.
Personally I don’t think it’s acceptable for the HO to expect a sitter to move to a hotel mid sit at their cost. Maybe split it into 2 sits if needed so you don’t need accomodation.

What would happen if you were already booked for those dates a week before and ten days after the original dates? It sounds like this sit needs to be canceled and reposted with new dates.

You’ll be able to file an insurance claim if you’re a premium member, the cancellation occurs within 14 days of the beginning of the sit and it satisfies the T & Cs. Read these terms and conditions carefully:

I think you should discuss this with Membership Services before proceeding.
You can start with chat and ask for a live person or email support at the address posted by @richten1 above. I hope it all works out.

1 Like

Unless you were really keen to do this sit, I’d be discussing them cancelling. Obviously the family emergency is difficult for them, but how can they make plans to be away again so soon afterwards? Would that sit go ahead?

I wouldn’t want to sit a place for a week then go back there 10 days later. What if you didn’t like the sit or the HO?

Their expectations that you’ll be able to just change all your plans isn’t respectful towards you. If you’re happy to help out the 1st week that might work though you probably won’t be covered by insurance for the other sit. But they should cancel and re-advertise the original sit and depending on your circumstances you might be able to find another sit for your dates.

4 Likes

@Travelmomma I’m not sure I understand , if it was supposed to start this week and now needs you a week prior - do you mean that you are already there ?

A sit cancellation is only covered by the Premium member insurance if the HO cancels it on the dashboard within 14 days of the date the sit was due to start and you do not agree to the cancellation…you also can’t apply for another sit to fill in the gap unless the HO cancels the sit dates on the THS platform. I agree with the advice given by others contact member services asap. and please report back on the outcome. All the best.

@Travelmomma I would expect a change of dates would have to be agreed and in this case it sounds like you are not agreeing. Have them cancel the sit and put up new dates to find someone. You should contact THS immediately as the insurance requires you contact them within 24 hours, Tell them the owner has advised they no longer need sitters for the agreed dates and send them a screenshot of any message if it is outside of the THS system.
DO NOT agree to the sit being cancelled or the dates changed. This will be interpreted as mutually agreeing and the insurance will not be valid. What you had agreed to is no longer on offer therefore it is cancelled against your wishes.
Read the terms that have been linked above VERY carefully. Amongst other things you must stay within a certain distance of the original sit (20 miles) and if you can not travel at all and not incur any costs as a result (eg. fully refundable flights and other bookings or you were driving ) they will not pay.
Interesting that they have a ‘family emergency’ but can travel both immediately before and after the period they originally arranged. ‘Family emergency’ might be the new ‘dog ate my homework’
Good luck