Homeowner unable to review our sit

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone else has experienced the following situation and is there a way around it?
We have just completed a sit (14th April '24) that we applied for back in July 23. Since the original application the homeowners have let their membership lapse.
We have been able to review the sit from our side, but the homeowner, after enquiring with Member Services, has been told that she cannot review us unless she renews her membership. She does not want to do this as she will not be travelling in the near future.
It feels slightly disappointing to have completed a two week sit with no opportunity to receive a review. If the sit was organised almost 12 months ago when both parties were members should the process not allow a review by both parties despite the non-renewal?
Any thoughts? Thanks

@SP80 I am surprised that you could leave a review since if their membership expired before or during the sit - this was no longer a THS confirmed sit .

Unless their membership expired the day after the sit or shortly after the sit but before the 14 review window closed ?

The only way around this is to ask them to provide an external reference.

5 Likes

Thank you, I will see if they are able to do that for us. It is still showing as a past sit on our profile and is allowing me to request a review from her but she can’t complete the review from her end.

You could try live chat with member services ( ask to speak to a human not the chat bot) or e-mail support@trustedhousesitters.com for more advice.

1 Like

This brings up interesting questions for me regarding insurance/liability/support. Presumably you communicated via WhatsApp so hadn’t realised they were no longer members? How did you get the Welcome Guide? If there had been a major issue would your sitter insurance have kicked in if the HO was not a member…? Presumably Member Services couldn’t have supported you either…. so many questions…it behoves us sitters to check that our HOs still have ‘live’ memberships, and the other way around too for HOs.

2 Likes

Yes, totally agree that there are a few grey areas. From our side the sit was still all good. It showed in our ‘up and coming sits’; we were reminded that the sit was ‘approaching its start date’ and we were asked to review the sit at the end. It is now showing as one of our past sits on our profile page, but with no review. I can only assume that we would have been covered insurance wise as we are still members but maybe not the homeowner.
Just because the homeowner hasn’t renewed their payment I think they should still be allowed to leave a review. The sitter shouldn’t have to be penalised with a non-review.

1 Like

@BonnyinBrighton this has been discussed ( at length) previously on this thread which you may be interested to read

https://forum.trustedhousesitters.com/t/what-happens-if-before-the-confirmed-petsit-starts-the-host-does-not-renew-membership

https://forum.trustedhousesitters.com/t/th-obligations-when-a-confirmed-sitter-does-not-renew-their-membership

However it seems from the information @SP80 has provided that in this case perhaps the HO’s membership lapsed on the day(s) after the sit had finished .

1 Like

Thank you that was a very interesting read…. I’m feeling more clued up now so will certainly be monthly checking that all my sits are still showing as active HOs

1 Like