How do you say no?

Perhaps we are victims of our own ‘success’ but our lives have been turned upside down with the amount of sitting we did last year. We’ve six booked for ‘23 already.
All but one are repeats ( most by contact outside THS) and we are finding it hard to say no to invitations. We love the animals, and want to stay in the loop, but it’s starting to become difficult. Not only are we now spending almost as much time away from home as in it, but travel and food costs are escalating. How do you manage ? Perhaps we should draw a line soon and start again almost from scratch ?

3 Likes

I feel you @Liffy99. I had this “problem” :roll_eyes:
It’s a good problem to have and it’s a crossroads moment where you have to make a decision.
It’s not easy when you have established such wonderful relationships with people and pets.
I always said I needed a clone button but I found it best to just be honest.
“I really would love to but I am going elsewhere now”. Had some great conversations and everyone has been extremely understanding and always send best wishes.
The door remains open.
Best feeling in the world when you realize you have friends around the world.
Will we meet again? Unknown but the feeling is forever.
Enjoy your life, your new sits and new adventures. They will understand.
And it’s perfectly ok and allowed to do something else.

3 Likes

We have a similar problem. Usually we say that it’s too far for us or we’re already taken (which is the truth). Some people ask just once and then we don’t hear from them anymore. Others ask us back every year for years, even though we never managed to sit for them again. We make sure that we always let them know that we appreciate the offer!

3 Likes

I think you can write something like: “Thanks so much for inviting me. I already confirmed a sit on those dates but maybe I can sit for you again sometime in the future.”

2 Likes

Yep ! TBH my comments were a bit rhetorical. We just have to grit our teeth and be realistic about what we can manage. Just breaks our hearts having to say goodbye to our four legged friends over and over . . . perhaps it’s time to get our own :wink:

3 Likes

You’re so kind to have this concern, but please keep in mind that you don’t owe anyone anything. As a HO who has yet to have my first sitter, I can imagine being thrilled to invite someone back after we’ve had a sitter we love… but I certainly wouldn’t expect them to drop everything and come running, and I’d have some other options up my sleeve. Just enjoy knowing that you’re someone’s first choice, but also be aware that they will manage without you if life is taking you elsewhere during that time, and if you want to, you can see them again when it’s convenient for both of you.

6 Likes

We have a similar ‘problem’ but for a different reason. For us, we chose this lifestyle to travel and to visit new places so are not that keen to do repeat sits. We get asked back a lot and it is so tempting as some of our past sits have been amazing but there are so many new places yet to visit and not enough time in one lifetime to see them all! We usually thank them for thinking about us but unfortunately, we will not be in their area again at that particular time.

9 Likes

I’ve only had 2 sits that I wouldn’t return to. And been invited back for several but have only been able to accept 1 of the invites - other commitments, wrong places for travel between sits. And, as Colin notes, want to see a new place. Everyone I’ve communicated with has been great understanding.
We just have to be prompt in communicating that we can’t accept and friendly.

5 Likes

You’ve summed it up perfectly @Colin as that is the same situation for me. It’s hard to say no but HOs have been understanding that there are other places out there to explore. I only do repeat sits now if it is convenient for me and I actually want to return!

2 Likes

Lovely thoughts, thank you. For sure there is no easy answer and, at some point soon, we’ll have to let go of a few ‘faves’ to be able to re-group. At least this most enjoyable of hobbies has helped us keep active as we drift through our sixties.
And we’ve just accepted another, our seventh, invitation for ‘23. Will we ever learn :joy:

4 Likes

I agree with the “ I want to return”.
The location, home, pets etc May be ideal but if the relationship is not a match I have to decline. For me it’s more than logistics. I have to feel good about the whole package.

4 Likes

Yes as many here have said I just usually say politely that I have something booked privately and am unable to do a sit at that moment. Sometimes it does completely work as some of my return sitters then come back with I’m flexible can you do a week later. Then it is a question of also just being ble to say I’m taking a small break from sitting at the moment so please contact me again in the future.

I’m glad you clarified that your question was mostly rhetorical since my first thought was “just say no”! :wink:

We almost always decline repeat requests for the same reason that @Colin does. But, every so often one works for us and it’s lovely to receive a positive reaction. We have one coming up in September, and could almost hear the “Yabba Dabba Do!!!” across the ocean when we said yes. Since it’s for 2 cats, they are less excited (though their pet parent insists they are also thrilled we will be coming back). :smile_cat:

2 Likes

Good post Colin. Even though I’d still relatively new on THS, I do sitting to see new places like you guys. I’ve got to be careful especially in the Schengen area how I allocate my time.

We have only done a couple of repeat housesits in the 4yrs as members. These were because we had become friends with the HO’s and loved the area. If we are offered a repeat sit and cannot make it we know 2 other couples that are also on THS and will refer them to our friends and they do the same for us. Has worked great for all of us.

2 Likes

I’ve had lots of practice saying “no”.
We get asked to do sits by new pet owners and by repeat “customers”.
It’s hard saying no to our regulars, however, I always let them know when I could be available, “if that fits in with your plans”.
That feels less like abandoning them, and still controls which sits I am happy to accept.
Life gets busy…

1 Like

I am in the same boat as I pet sit a lot locally.

Try only longer sits. This will give you a chance to grocery shop and actually cook and make meals, skipping the fast food, stop and go food on the road which is unhealthy and costly. I think if you book enough in advance, you can get more sits for 2+weeks at a time. The cost of gas is another problem. Good luck and happy sitting!

We are in our 60’s and in the same position. We have 6 (not all through TH) booked between March and August; all of them quite long sits with all but one a repeat sit. It is great to have January and February home but I am looking forward to the next 6 months as they are terrific dogs and just as nice owners. Thankfully they are fairly local and we can slip home mid sit and check no calamities have happened. Hoping next year to maybe branch out to other states of Australia but ponder how we would manage if we didn’t take our car.

3 Likes

Definitely try and take your car. We did an Australian housesitting tour and our car was invaluable. Most housesits we had, were not in walking distance to amenities, but a quick drive. And all had parking provided. And it makes it easy to get to sits. We even had our car booked on the train to WA, but then Covid stopped all those plans. Alternatively, you may negotiate with owners to borrow theirs. But it still makes it a but hard to get to sits.

1 Like