How do you stay in touch on a house sit? What message system?

I’d not much used Whatsapp until returning to the UK a few years ago, when it then seemed like all homeowners wanted to stay in touch via this method, so it became our adopted way of sending our on sit updates, pix etc., depending on what the owners preferred. I found it very easy and reliable, as long as we all had a connection. I like that I can see when delivered, and when read.

Of course, staying in contact can vary a lot depending on where you are in the world and what signal (phone or internet) is available and we’ve had some where email was the only option!

So what do owners and sitters use and prefer? What do you find easiest for adding pix and videos? Does anyone just use the website messaging system, or do you have any other creative ways to stay in touch and provide updates?

2 Likes

We always ask the HO their preferred method and frequency. Mostly text or WhatsApp.

5 Likes

Whatsapp everytime

2 Likes

It does seem to be the most popular request we get these days, but we’ve been back in Europe for nearly 3 years now. I wonder if same around the world?

2 Likes

My answer is the same as @PetSitterBug. However, I have an application in now where the HO asked whether my phone is Android or iPhone. I’m guessing it’s because life can be easier when you both have the same phones, at least with Apple products. Ironically I have both. My regular phone is an iPhone, but I have an Android that was given to me, which I use when I want a SIM card and local phone number in a country that’s not my home country. Canadian phone plans are generally expensive, but even more so when covering other countries.

2 Likes

We do the same - ask HO and use whatever they’re comfortable with. And yes, WhatsApp seems to be the thing in the UK, and maybe other parts of Europe. I don’t know anyone who uses it at home in Canada though.

2 Likes

What typically do people use in Canada @Kelownagurl ?

I belong to a number of FB Messenger groups and tend to message most family/friends that way. For the small handful who don’t use FB, we usually just text. Younger people may use other things, not totally sure.

2 Likes

My preferred method is Whatsapp, although I do use text if the signal/internet’s not so good…… I also have FB messenger, which I can still use even though I’m no longer on FB, and email and I will even talk to people on the phone! My preferred method of ‘meeting’ people is Zoom…

2 Likes
  1. WhatsApp
  2. Google Voice #
  3. Personal email and THS messaging.
    I save everything in case I need to ever provide evidence of our conversations, photos, vids shared.
    I also gave up having mobile service as with all the travel and all the free services, available wifi nearly everywhere I found it to be unnecessary.
    I have no anxiety being on my own and unplugged for a bit :slight_smile:

Actually I haven’t much anxiety about anything.

2 Likes

I’ve never used Google Voice… will have to look at that.

I want to be like you :grinning: :rofl:

2 Likes

Google voice is fabulous! If I remember correctly, you do have to be able to provide a phone number from a provider to register but you don’t have to maintain it. They assign you a number then you can link it to your email, phone and computer.
You can text and call. All free!
It works really well and I have used it in the US, UK, Europe and Indonesia without any difficulties.

3 Likes

Practice :pray::sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

These services are more available to us now we are a bit more settled in one area… and have phone contracts again (didn’t think that would be happening for a while!!). Will look into this one as I use a lot of google services for work now, so it’s nice to have all interlinked!

2 Likes

By „text“ in Europe we usually talk about WhatsApp. There is also Signal and Telegram, which became more popular since Facebook took over Whatsapp and changed the T&C. We never use SMS anymore. I definitely don’t use it, because when I am away I use a local SIM Card and I don’t get the SMS. Anything working on the internet is fine but not what needs my phone number…like SMS.
When I stay in Europe for travel it’s fine but usually we are outside of Europe.

1 Like

Texting (SMS) is still pretty heavily used in Canada. I always have a local SIM card when I travel but it comes with a number so that’s what I give the HO if they want to use SMS. Quite a few people have just asked me to email them.

There are global SIM Cards, you don’t get a number with. These are cheaper and I usually don’t need any phone number anyway, because when I travel on duty (flight attendant) I call home I do WhatsApp calls using the hotel Wifi.

Oooh tell me more about Global SIM cards. I don’t care at all about having a phone to be honest. I just want the data package.

I use Flexiroam. They have local and global data packages and they have many promotions. So if it isn’t urgent I recommend to get the eSIM and look out for promotions. Sometimes you get up to 70% off either global plans or wallet credits, which you can use to buy plans.
If they ask when you apply tell them you work for an Airline :wink: and you get the SIM for free. They don’t want proof.

2 Likes

What I like about Google Voice is that I can call and text folks who are not techy or just prefer not to use messenger or WhatsApp.
It connects to any phone number anywhere. I make calls to people, businesses, anyone on my lap top. The messages come to my phone.

There’s an app you download.
It’s impressive

3 Likes