Good afternoon all. We have just booked a holiday - woo-hoo - for late March early April 2022. Is it too early to post the sit?
Too early for me, I don’t feel confident making sitter plans that far ahead, but it’s up to you. There are probably many nomadic sitters or international travelers who like a lot of advance notice.
I am one of the full-time nomadic sitters @Shafofo is talking about and I always look for sits far ahead. If it’s a long sit (1-6 months) then I’d say go for it, publish it now, a lot of full-time sitters like to plan ahead. (even if that’s difficult nowadays) However if it’s for a few weeks, I’d wait a while.
Well done for thinking ahead.
We have already accepted a sit for Christmas.
Hope all gos well.
That’s something to look forward to @CambridgeAnnie! If it’s only for a couple of weeks I’d be inclined not to advertise it yet but as other sitters have mentioned, if it’s for a much longer period of time, then full-time sitters could well be interested. It’s still a long way away and as we know, circumstances can change very quickly with covid and international travel especially.
I am happy to apply for sittings months ahead but only if I have the full details of the timings.
Within hours of applying for a recent listing for October I received the “HO has chosen you” message before I even had the opportunity to ask any questions. Once we started communicating It became apparent that the HO has not yet booked the holiday abroad and therefore did not know what time she would want us to arrive and depart. As we had a long journey this was important to us and could have led us to staying an extra day either side. I have had to withdraw my application.
List early but ensure you have full details to avoid any surprises.
Go for it. Full time sitters like to plan ahead and it’s good to have something to build round. We are desperately looking for sits for the winter in warmer climes but everyone is waiting to see what is going to happen with travel restrictions. It’s very frustrating.
Thanks to everyone for their comments it’s been very helpful.
I work full time and have to book vacation four months in advance so the more notice the better for me
We went to visit a sit yesterday .
It isn’t till July.
It was amazing there was alpacas .
They were brillant got to feed them and let them come to us really interesting .
Can’t wait to spend time with them and the chickens dogs and
Been doing my homework on the alpacas .
Very interesting and so cute.
Yes, I am a part-time sitter but I love to plan ahead and appreciate knowing sits in dates far off! Well done for being so organized!
My sits for November 2021 to January 2022 were advertised in the summer of 2020 and I was inundated with applications. Like some of the other contributors have said, it does depend on the length of the sit, but if you like to plan ahead, go for it.
I sit in the UK during the winter months, and look well in advance for suitable sits. This might include short sits that will provide a bridge between other longer sits. I don’t think there’s any hard and fast rule. If you know for certain your travel plans, then advertise!
I don’t understand homeowners that wait till the very last minute or place a listing a year in advance - so much can change. As a full time sitter I can’t wait till the last minute, I need to be able to plan where I am going and how I am going to get there. In general, it is a tad early in my mind. If it was during a major holiday then maybe yes, but I would wait a couple of months, when more people start thinking about next year. One caveat to also remember is your location - are you in a popular area, remote, must have a car, unusual country - those would be other reasons to post earlier than not - if you have something unusual like a monkey or snakes (smile) or something that takes a lot of care, again positing sooner than later again may be a good idea. In any case, from my point of view, I would wait till the end of summer - plus more people will start looking for later dates around then. That’s my two cents. Good luck!
Agree with you totally.
Although we our part time we still have to book ferries
Flight car hire etc.
We have Christmas flights already booked 2 months ago
Its not so bad if travelling by car.
If we go in Southern Ireland we have to notify insurance
Price gos up
Also toll charges to be paid there and back.
The earliest for us the better.