How long is too long

Hi @tarsharichardson01
We’re sitters and would definitely consider a 4+ month sit. For us it would need to tick all our boxes in terms of location, type of pets, property etc
We’re currently on a 10 week sit (uk)and thoroughly enjoying really exploring the area.

7 Likes

It would be too long for most UK sitters as we’re only allowed 90 days in the US. I’m sure that a lot of US sitters would appreciate a long sit, especially if they’re full time nomadic sitters/working digitally.

1 Like

Long sits get lots of applicants!

And so long as you screen your sitter well (including video chat and checking references) and have a set return date, you should have no problem with them leaving on time!

Sitters do this because we like to travel (and love animals), so we’re happy to move on when it’s time. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I would do a 5-month sit, especially with just short-haired cats or other low maintenance pets or no pets. I have no problem leaving after that as a nomad, but I would appreciate the longer sit.

3 Likes

Great to hear. Thanks for your feedback.

You could post in your headline something to indicate you could break the sit up between 2 sitters, so if 1 sitter could do 3 months, they could hand over the sit to the 2nd sitter to complete the sit. I’ve heard of homeowners doing that. Best to post your sit ASAP to get it out before those types of sitters book other sits.

1 Like

There are a lot of sitters that would enjoy a long sit. For those of us who are nomadic, it’s nice to stay in one place longer and be able to get to know the area better. it’s also nice to be with the same pets for an extended time. I recommend posting a long sit as early as possible, so sitters don’t already have shorter sits scheduled that conflict with your dates. Also, I think someone else may have mentioned this, but you may be limited to US sitters due to visa rules about how long people can stay in the US.

1 Like

Thanks for the input!

1 Like

There are plenty of US sitters who would love this type of sit, and if you allow families, even more desirable. Many now home school their children and being able to lay down roots for a while is quite appealing for both the sitters and their children.

1 Like

Hi from North Devon, England.
I have just joined Trusted Housesitters and think it is a fabulous concept. We have a really easy dog and live in a wonderful community so have friends and neighbours who can look after Norman for a couple of days, but we were wondering about a trip of about six weeks in the Spring… is this too long for a housesitter? I realise it would not fit with an average family holiday but wondered if there were people on the site who were retired or who work from home who would like a change of scenery for a bit longer than a week or would they consider a longer stay to be too much of a risk? Feeling more than a bit anxious about it myself!

5 Likes

Not in my world. Gosh Norman is gorgeous!
And Devon?
I think you’re golden.

4 Likes

Your sit looks fabulous, @Jacquie. And Norman is, of course, utterly charming.
Hubby and I would be all over this if you fancy a longish trip next year (this spring is already spoken for).
Good luck!

2 Likes

^ weeks is pretty common here. I had no problems finding a sitter for 6 weeks last year, and I’ve had plenty of applications for a 4-week sit this year. I do want a sitter with home-ownership/maintenance experience for longer sits, so that limits acceptable applicants.

2 Likes

@Jacquie Norman is adorable, and one of my favourite breeds. We are tied to school holidays though, so sadly not this time…

3 Likes

Hi @Jacquie - Longer sits are very popular, our ideal sit is 4-6weeks . There are many full-time sitters on this site that would love to have the opportunity to spend 6 weeks in Devon with Norman. If you link your listing link to your forum profile name, sitters on this forum will be able to keep an eye out for when you list dates

Here is how to do that

2 Likes

I love Norman! [quote=“Jacquie, post:30, topic:30266”]
is this too long for a housesitter?
[/quote]

This Housesitter is very open to 6-week Sits,
due to my current path of wanting to steep in areas for longer,
to discern where to settle in the UK, and
because Devon is my ancestral homeland, all the better.

And, I had Pinky Lee, my beloved liver and white Springer Spaniel growing up;
just look at that synchronic magic.

It is a great fit for me, if your dog is open to a friend, in my Assistance Dog who is always by my side, and loves to run and play, and rest, like velcro next to me, draped across my legs. I am a dog trainer, so can facilitate both dogs being comfy together=pack harmony.

I have endless love to give both dogs, and any animals within my vicinity!
Claire + Tarkina

2 Likes

Thank you!

In my experience the really long sits go very quick, as they are the ones many people want. I sat for a lovely couple in 2022, for three sits, and I think I was in their home for 5 months all up… I came back and did weekends and weeks after we had become friends (without going through THS).
They advertised all their dates at once, starting with the shortest sit first, which was two weeks. The second sit was a month and then the third sit was the longest. That worked for us.
I think you should put up the dates as you would like them, and see where you go from there. Often in the initial advertisement the HO will say dates are flexible for the right sitter.
Good luck and happy travels.

2 Likes

I am wondering if you could post it two ways long term & shorter terms, as there are house/pet sitters out there who would welcome a longer term sitting assignment. I am retired and housitting for 3-6 months in the right location would be ideal for me!