How many countries

I have lost count of the countries I have visited. Must be 30 or 40 but there are still a lot left. The very first foreign country I went to was Cyprus for a ten day holiday. We are now in Panama…big difference. My ultimate country to see was Cuba and it did not disappoint. It has a lot of problems but it is a fascinating place. I still have to visit New Zealand and Australia, Japan, China and the Far East. I’ll get there eventually.

How many countries have you visited?
What was the first foreign country you visited?
What was the last one?
Have you visited everywhere on your bucket list?

4 Likes

Great question Elsie! On our first cruise in 2015, I attended a lecture put on by the “Traveler’s Century Club”. This is an organization based in L.A. for people who have been or aspire to going to 100 countries. They gave me this large map with every country in the world listed. When we got home, my husband and I ticked off all the countries we had been and continued to tick off as we visited. To date, much to our shock, we’ve been to 64 countries! Other than the country I was born - Ireland, the first country I went to was England and a trip around Europe in 1978. The last country we visited was South America in 2019 when we went to the Carnival in Rio but we’ve done other S.A. countries. We’ve done a lot on our bucket list except Bali, New Zealand, the Maldives and New York. We have yet to see the East Coast of Canada in our own country or Alaska - both so close!

3 Likes

So many memories. I hope you have kept a diary or a blog. We have kept a blog for the past seven years. It’s not really for anyone else to read although we have shared it with family and friends. It’s for us to remember with. We are already forgetting things and places we have been but we can always go back with it’s help.
Safe travels.

1 Like

I used to journal on each holiday but no longer do that - like to look back on photos every so often. I’m more about enjoying the moments now! Same to you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

60-ish. I haven’t counted in a while since I’ve not been to a new country since 2020. :frowning:

Technically mexico, but it was really only a run over the border for a few hours to get tacos, so I don’t think it counts. I didn’t even need a passport.

Realistically it was Switzerland. In 2001 I quit my job and moved to Switzerland to be an Au Pair. My friends all thought I was nuts. “Why can’t you just go on vacation, like a normal person?”

What was the last one?

Am currently in Spain, but I’ve been here many times over the years. The last new country I visited was Qatar in January 2020. I did the 3 day layover thing there for new years after spending a couple weeks in Nepal (also a first time visit).

Not even close. I have a google my map where I drop pins every time i see/read about a place that sounds interesting. There are thousands of pins on that map. I’ll never see them all, but I’ll have fun trying. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s so refreshing to find such like-minded folks in this community. Most individuals would think us odd to have had over 30 home addresses in our lifetime (so far), but everyone here understands the wanderlust we all share. Carry on with your adventures, my friends!

3 Likes

Not enough. I prefer to linger and savor.
England
What was the last one?
Officially, Indonesia but after traveling long term and coming back to the USA, it feels like a foreign country :rofl:
Not even close

2 Likes

From memory … :rofl:

2 Likes

I had to do a bit of research to work out the number of countries!

43 - at least that is what I get when I add my memory to my last Global Entry application list. But that includes 2 that were part of the USSR when I visited - Moldova and Belarus.

The Netherlands because that was where the charter flight landed for the summer trip I took after my freshman year of college, summer 1970 - spent a week around Amsterdam then off to London where we happened to arrive the day before the trooping of the color for the Queen’s birthday. My friends spent a few days then took off but I had surrendered my passport to the Soviet Embassy for a visa for a 2 week student tour of Leningrad (at that time) and Moscow. So I spent about 2 weeks in the UK.
My next stop was Heidelberg where I was the only away family attending a cousin’s bar mitzvah. His dad and grandmother had emigrated to the US as Hitler was coming to power. The dad enlisted in the Army and as a native German speaker stayed on in intelligence in Germany until he retired in the 1980s.
Eventually made my way to Stockholm where the USSR trip started - 2 weeks in the USSR - out to Copenhagen and hung out with some new found friends from the USSR trip.

What was the last one?
Jeju Island, Korea for a pet sit with a small dog and 2 cats. Sat for a couple who teach in 1 of the English language boarding schools on Jeju. This was just as Covid was starting up. I was scheduled to fly home on Sun, 2 Feb via Shanghai but those flights got cancelled. Delta AL got me home via Seoul - Jeju to Gimpo, subway to Incheon, then Incheon back to the US.

Absolutely not - look for cheap airfares and petsit opps.
I want to see more of the Baltic countries and more of the former Soviet countries.
Also South America.

1 Like

I feel as though I’m on the younger end of the spectrum here. I’ve only been to 24 or so countries and my daughter has yet to leave our country (US), mostly due to travel restrictions over the last couple years.

My first country was Mexico and my last was Aruba. I’ve only spent time in 4 of the 7 continents and our plan was to spend 2020 in South America before the world shuttered.

Bhutan and Colombia are the two countries I would like to visit, hoping to visit.

1 Like

I have so far visited 52 and John has visited 92 countries.
With regard to the USA, I have visited 19 States and John has visited 23 so far!

Mine was France when I was 3 years old and the first country John visited was Singapore when he was 6 months old because his family moved out there to live until he was 4 years old.

What was the last one?

We are currently in Croatia, which is a new country for both of us!
We are very impressed so far, it is a beautiful country with lovely people.

Gracious me, no!!! The list is only partly complete.

1 Like

44 countries so far.
Canada was my first
Last foreign country was New Zealand and I’m still here
Not even close to my bucket list dreams

1 Like