What’s Your Favourite Country?

Where do you have an abiding passion for? It could be your own country maybe, or somewhere you visited long ago and still feel a great affinity with. Maybe, like me, you would uproot and relocate there if life and immigration laws allowed?
Please add where you are from, to provide the background!

I’m British and I would sacrifice lots I hold dear to live in Australia.

2 Likes

Now that America becomes nice and welcoming again, I would love to go back to the States where we exchanged homes a few times, in LA, Long island, NYC, Lake Tahoe. We had been in charge of cats in LA (who gave me fleas) but iwas not formally pet sitting

I’d love to spend more time, in California again, go to the Rockies, Arizona too

Otherwise we’d like to discover Finland, where we’ve never been, Costa Rica (sometimes I see ads which make me dream)

I prefer dogs sitting than poultry or cats only but dogs can’t travel with you in a rental car (if the owner does not let you his vehicle), dogs need to be fed twice a day (cats can have an automatic feeder for 2 days), walked 2 or 3 times and you can only discover the surroundings of a home. You need to be there

i’ve seen sometimes ads suggesting only to home sit, but often it lasts months and then I’ll miss my own pets.

1 Like

Definitely New Zealand, no question. Our favourite country by a country mile!

4 Likes

I see you like many places and long to visit others, but where does your heart long to be?

1 Like

@Saltrams Born in :uk: made in :canada: fortunate to be a citizen of both… :heart: lives in :canada:

1 Like

we’d love to see you here again… :smile: maybe one day in the not too distant future…

2 Likes

Hey Carolyn, there’s nowhere we would rather be. Hopefully we’ll be able to get back somei. Hope you and Chris are keeping well.

1 Like

I would like to go to so many places i can’t choose one. I’m just anxious about how many more years can i travel ? Many on this forum are young. It’s not at all your concern, it becomes ours…
As i speak french, english, spanish, italian i do regret not to be able to live 6 months in spain, italy. England. The best way to feel a country.
I would love to travel in south America. We’ve traveled one month in Pérou) first time we looked for pet sitters. Before becoming sitters ourselves). We loved it.

1 Like

I’ve done a lot of travelling around the world and there are so many wonderful countries and cultures but I would NEVER emigrate from the UK. We have so much here and it’s been great to have the opportunity to appreciate what we have during the pandemic

2 Likes

We have yet to venture to New Zealand. All the pictures show a beautiful land but very much an ‘outdoorsy” culture ideal for hiking and nature & stuff. I’m rather more museum, culture and a glass of wine myself so the attraction isn’t so great :wink:
But, the question was where you loved, so thanks for playing :hugs:

1 Like

Wow, that’s good that there is one patriot left!

2 Likes

New Zealand is certainly a beautiful country and the people really friendly. There are lots of museums but what is lacking of course is ‘history’ in the form of castles etc. I was constantly feeling guilty for what we did to the Maori people, and still they fight for the rights as do the Aboriginal peoples in Oz. I was told that it wasn’t my fault but I felt I carried our forefathers’ guilt…
The other thing that New Zealand lacks is our network of footpaths. In fact I met an ex pat who’d lived there for 20+ years and he said that was the main thing he missed about the UK. Yes, there’s some wonderful walking to be had but a lot of it seems artificial. However, the people are so much friendlier and welcoming that the Brits!

1 Like

Please don’t do that to yourself! It’s rather a soapbox for me but we cannot be responsible for the actions of others - for anything. If you discovered your 4 x great grandfather murdered his wife you wouldn’t feel guilty (shocked, sad etc. but not guilty). Would it be right to condemn a young woman, previously blameless, if she were suddenly revealed as Hitler’s great granddaughter? How far back does this assumed shame last? The African slave trade? Hot topic. Romans enslaving Britons and Germans? Nobody cares.
As long as you know what is right & what is wrong and you wouldn’t behave in such a way then you cannot be guilty of actions done in the past.
I bet I haven’t sufficient characters left to cover the discussion about NZL history now :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Well said @Saltrams and you’re completely right. I also go about apologising to other Europeans for Brexit, being a remainer! :flushed:

1 Like

Very pleased you were a remainer @Smiley, but if we begin to talk politics on this forum, we might face problems.
I sent a post on trusted sitters and digital nomads group on FB, writing i would like to go back to US now that America seems nicer again, I’ve got that sharp reply “more taxes” !
On this forum so far, none of that kind. But it’s always dangerous.
A a sitter I did not dare ask the british owners I contacted for a pet sit if they were against or for the Brexit, but spending time with them during a lunch or a dinner, we had the opportunity to discuss politics (hard to avoid as rules between France and England will change a lot). Hopefully all my british owners (3 couples, 6 people in 3 sits) were remainers. Ouf!!!
Looking at the books owners read (when they read…) is always a good indication of their inclinations, I feel more confortable in some homes than in others (it’s the same with house swappers)

2 Likes

We’re from the UK, and whilst there are some places I want to go that Suze doesn’t and vice-versa, we both think that one day we would love to move to Sweden. The dream is for a little cabin in the woods! We also have a dream of living in Iceland, maybe not permanently but we would love to spend a considerable amount of time there. We’ve done a few trips, but want to immerse ourselves in the culture more!

3 Likes

Fabulous country, only been briefly but would love to spend more time exploring Sweden. Maybe a long road trip is the way to go?

1 Like

Ooo, that’s a left-field answer for me but none the less valid of course. Whilst I like to see pictures of snowy woodland wilderness I feel the cold so badly I couldn’t survive in such a place.
Good luck with your dream! How many log cabin wilderness sits come up I wonder?

3 Likes

We haven’t seen too many sits up north in Sweden - but that is the dream! We’ve seen a few volunteering work exchanges looking after Huskies etc, so that may be our way to try it! We thought about getting a campervan as well and following the sun in the winter!

2 Likes

We’ve been for Xmas 2018 in Tromso, very north of Norway, the “day” rose at 2 PM, it was over at 4. The day light was like mist when you ski…

I could not live so north in winter, even if the dogs were marvellous. By the way we did not see many dogs (except in Oslo, in the tube, which would not be allowed in France), but Oslo was the “south”" of Norway…

I would miss trees too… there are NONE in deep north…

This photo has been taken in the tube that allows people from Oslo to go to the ski fields and the biggest springboard.
We were amazed to see so many people with skis in town…

1 Like