How To Keep Your Pet Cool & Healthy During A Heatwave

With the Met Office forecasting an increase of temperatures in the UK due to the influence of an African plume it’s good to know how to keep your pets cool and healthy

1 Like

Thank you for sharing @Samox24 a message that is SO important … further help and advice is available on the website blog and please share your tips on how you care for your pet family members in the heat …

We used to soak our dogs chests and that kept them a lot cooler but if it was too hot, they didn’t get walked in the hottest part of the day for pure safety.

Fudge used to have his chill-out bandanna on during the summer, you can use it wet or cool it in the fridge. He would also not be walked in the hottest part of the day, but it was handy and you can just rewet it with a water bottle when it dries out.

Screen Shot 2023-06-09 at 16.15.30

1 Like

How to help our feline friends stay hydrated during the hot weather :cat::sweat_drops:

@Carla I love these for dogs during the summer and I also love the cooling mats for cats and dogs. :dog::cat::slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for this article!

I bought a fan last summer, as Coco is black and white. She is an indoor cat and I have the fan on during the day only.

I don’ t know about trimming her fur? I don’t know if she would let me?

Wouldn’t want her ending up looking bald…

Hi @69CandC you are very welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

I have attached an article below that you should find helpful but as they mentioned in the article…

Does your cat need a summer haircut? The answer is generally “no.” Cats’ fur naturally helps to regulate their body temperature, keeping them warm in winter and cool in summer. A cat is typically well-off without the summer cut

I hope this helps. :cat::blush:

1 Like

PHEW @Samox24 you are a STAR :star2:

Thank you, I was starting to worry a tiny bit about trimming her fur. I am glad to read that the fur naturally helps to keep the body temperature down or up when needed! :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :cat:

with the current hot weather in Southern Europe you might be wondering, “How do cats cool down if they get too hot?” “Do cats sweat?” “Do cats pant?”

+1 on cooling gel pads.

We also have a few of these for our dog. One even folds, for road trips. They’re elevated mesh beds, so air can get under your pet.

2 Likes

When we were in Las Vegas, we even kept portable air conditioners for our dog. You filled them with water and they were run on USB charging to blow water-cooled air. We used them on car rides, because it took awhile for a car to cool down after you got in.

3 Likes

Great idea … She/he looks like a very happy dog!

1 Like