I need the sitters ID for their guest pass

I’ve done about 25 sits now and I’ve never been asked for my ID. I wouldn’t mind showing it when I get there just so an HO can verify that I am who I say I am. But I don’t see any reason to provide a copy of my license (unless I was driving their car). It’s not a red flag that they don’t want to provide a stranger with a copy of the license, especially in a non secure manner. But I still don’t see why you need their license. You said you need name, address, and DOB and it must match their license that they show when they go to use the facilities. It doesn’t sound like you actually need a copy of their ID.

1 Like

Don’t need to cite it. When I was asked by a HO to provide my ID by email I contacted THS customer service and was told that it is against the TOS for a HO to ask for identification to be sent via email or text.

It’s not safe to send an ID by either of these methods. It’s also unnecessary since the THS contractor Evident (US) verifies identify through government ID.

Here’s the background check detail.

I don’t know which incident you’re referring to or where it occured. But I can assure you that the identify verification and background checks for US based sitters are quite thorough and done by professional security organizations.

Here’s what they include.

It’s true for US based sitters.

1 Like

@Lulubelle It was in South Carolina, a dog died because of dehydration. Apparently drop-in visits by the sitter who had not come for a few days, maybe because responsibilities had been shared with friends.

Anyway, the sitter was 20. And this is the age limit on THS:

So that is how thoroughly they are checking. A bar would do a better check on IDs.

I’ve done a number of sits in gated communities where ID was required to get the pass or fob to allow me in/out of the gates during the sit. Not a homeowner requirement but a requirement of the community. I get that. Also some communities require ID to gain access to the amenities. If I didn’t want to use the amenities I wouldn’t have to provide my ID or get a pass but usually I’m sitting there because I want to use the amenities.

It would probably be a good idea to discuss this with potential sitters before confirming in case they don’t want to provide ID. Maybe even put it in the listing.

Thanks, you certainly don’t need to, it just would have been helpful for you to have done so, but apparently you’re information is word of mouth. Could a THS moderator/staff member please point the forum to the TOS provisions that prohibit a HO from asking a sitter for identification information as Lulubelle indicates so that we might all have a referenceable source for this information … it seems a strange provision, so I’d like to better understand it precisely. Thanks!

Perhaps the sitter in question joined before the identity verification and background check were a requirement. They were not a requirement when I first joined.

I rejoined last year after a lapse and the Evident verification was done as described and included the details I posted. It took several days for them to complete the checks and approve me.

The Evident checks are quite thorough. I suggest you ask a member of the THS staff to tell you any this sitter had not been screen. My screen results are posted on my profile.

Got it. So only US sitters get background checks. That’s a big difference as opposed to all sitters get background checks. Probably be helpful with other countries as well.

Email is not secure. Text is not secure. Providing ID this way is a good way to encourage identity theft. Why would anyone need an ID to be sent by unsecure means when US sitters are background checked and have already had their identity verified by government ID.

It was not “word of mouth”. It was in writing from THS.

If the HO needs to see the ID they can see it on arrival or ask for the information they need by phone.

Update. The sitter thanked me for my further explanation and sent a photo of their licenses with the license number blocked out but showed the information I needed. Everyone is happy now.

Good conversation here. The cultural differences and views is always interesting. Bottom line if the amenities weren’t in question they wouldn’t have had to show me anything because no guest pass required.

With the said I think every home owner pet owner is entitled to know the pet sitters first and last name.

3 Likes

What’s app is secure @anon42826925, and for all us non USA folk (including sitters that want to drive HOs cars and access compounds & gated communities etc) we often need to share this info pre sit so maybe that’s a solution?

1 Like

@trekker954 thank you for the update and glad that it has all worked out for you and the sitter .

Then that would be their loss

it is in my listing, that they will receive a guest pass that gives them endless access OR they can pay $50 to receive a temporary resident pass in order to access the sports pool and golf tee time booking line. I only offer that option if they are here more than two weeks because I have to turn in my resident ID (basically have my accesses terminated while the sitter is using mine). Sitter can still play golf for free, its all about getting the court and times they want and that still isn’t guaranteed, but residents have preference over guests. And some want the water volleyball and water aerobics. Still during snowbird season, it gets insane for even residents.

1 Like

Do you already mention in your listing that the sitter will have to submit their identification via you to get access to amenities? Many buildings and communities have amenities, but not all require IDs as you’ve requested from the sitter. That’s what can raise objections and some people might prefer to pass.

Personally, I’ve lived in communities with a bunch of amenities, but didn’t use them. Like we lived in a golfing community and didn’t golf. We just liked looking at the golf course. So if I were considering sits, I wouldn’t care about the kind of amenities you mentioned.

I would want to know if I needed to submit ID, as would many sitters. And we wouldn’t appreciate being told belatedly. Some folks might even cancel sits over such, so it’s better for everyone if the HO declares that upfront.

Good resolution! I’m someone that will not send a copy of my ID over a non-secure method as well, but this workaround seems to satisfy all needs here.

Agree that adding something like “sitter will receive a guess pass (pending provision of valid ID prior to sit per HOA rules)” or something like that. These amenities are so extra, it’s not like not having access to them will compromise the sit.

Definitely you’re entitled to know the first and last name. But when asking for ID please don’t expect it to be sent via unsecured email or text. It’s not safe. I’d happily present it in person or give the information by phone. Or an encrypted email like proton mail. But yours would need to be encrypted too.

I’ve been the victim of identity theft. Most people don’t think about electronic security.

Good idea. My HO who insisted I send my ID on unsecured email probably wouldn’t have been open to that. He was older. And didn’t understand why sending via email was a bad thing. I was his choice for the sit but withdrew over this. I would have been happy to present it in person or give details by phone.