HO asking me for documents

Hello everyone! I’m basically new in THS and I need your advice. I’ve applied for a long term sit, I already had the interview with the HO and it pretty much went well. But today I received a message stating that he needs my documents like ID and proof of address. Is that normal in the process? Can someone guide me through that please?

It’s not normal, but they can ask and you can decline and probably not get the sit. It’s not against THS terms to ask. Some sitters are OK with showing IDs. Some reject such requests and see them as red flags of mistrust, which can set the tone for a bad sit.

The typical instances when say a driver’s license might be requested: when you drive a host’s car or when they need your ID to secure parking and/or rights to use amenities in their building or community.

7 Likes

I guess that would severely restrict the pool of sitters such a HO could get. Because typically it is the nomads that are interested in the really long-term sits.

My guess is that they told about their pet sit to a friend and that friend suggested that the HO should require this kind of thing.

I’ve done it on two occasions. Both very high end properties that housed many valuable items. I didn’t have any problem providing after my sit was confirmed. I mailed regular mail with proof of receipt. I don’t send personal documents over email.

3 Likes

No it’s not normal, HOWEVER, given you are new and you are after a long term sit then it sounds fine, just give them what they want. I am surprised they are considering you if it’s a long term sit when you are new, so that is brilliant, I’d send them what they want, as it will help them to feel more secure saying yes to you, when you are new and it’s longer term.

2 Likes

We were asked for proof of ID once when we stayed in an apartment in a luxury block in central London.
Apparently, it was needed to give to the concierge for our access to the building ( or that’s what the home host told us anyway!)
In any case, we were happy to oblige .

2 Likes

I would be happy to show my ID like my drivers licence, for reassurance but not send it or let them have a permanent copy. In welcome calls and in messages I’ve talked about the things we’re involved, the business we run and the area we live. HO’s are more than welcome to google us and check us out online - web searchs, linked in etc if they want reassurance we are who we say we are.

2 Likes

No way would I do that. Treated with suspicion from the outset.
Others here seem to be OK with it, so in the end I think it’s up to you and how you feel about it.

2 Likes

Its not completely in spirit with the "Trusted"housesitter ethos, but as has been stated, its permitted by the Ts and Cs. Its their home, so ultimately their prerogative to vet sitters as they see fit. That said, I never understand what HOs are looking for with this info/how it helps inform them of the sitters credentials.

Equally, its your right to protect sensitive information. So I’d be tempted to say you are open to providing, but politely ask them how they intend to use it.

Its unlikely to be anything nefarious, as im sure there are much simpler and cheaper ways someone could go about acquiring this information for bad, than by joining THS, listing a sit and interviewing.

For peace of mind, I’d be tempted to look into whether there is a way you could share the docs within a limited time period and without the ability for the HO to download a copy for themself. I’m no information security expert, so the above may not be any use, but it might signal to the HO the importance you put on your sensitive info and the need for them to do the same.

Also if it makes you feel any better, its not uncommon for airbnb hosts, who can be private individuals and strangers
just like THS HOs, to request ID info (though NOT proof of address) due to local regulatory requirements. And guests just have to trust they will do the right thing with it. Maybe you could also use that as a basis, provide your photo ID only but request to know why they need proof of address.

Hi @lesserna

I’d be wary. There’s quite a lot that someone could do with that information if it ends up in the wrong hands, especially if you have provided emailable copies. I’d be tempted to offer to show the documents via a zoom call, and to bring them with you to show in person on arrival at the sit.

1 Like

They want to know where they can send an invoice etc to, should there be any problem. It is much more rational than just leaving your whole home to someone with only a first name on a profile.

2 Likes

Unless the owner has a reason for copies I would offer to let them sight it ie show them in a call but not send them over email because you will lose control of those documents. To be honest, if the owner has no history with THS and the sit sounds too good to be true I’d be suspicious and just leave it but it’s your call.

2 Likes

Have you asked why? Communication is the key.

3 Likes

Welcome @lesserna

Is HO new to THS ? In which case they may not realise that as a sitter your ID has already been verified .

You could send them this link https://support.trustedhousesitters.com/hc/en-gb/articles/213821365-Are-your-registered-pet-sitters-verified

If they still say they want to see ID then as @Furryfriends has suggested you can ask why they need it .

It could be for a very legitimate reason, you won’t know until you ask . You said that it’s a long sit so it’s quiet understandable that the HO wants to know who it is that will be staying in their home long term and especially as you are new to THS so don’t have any reviews yet.

We voluntarily provide our surname in our application as we are aware that THS doesn’t share this information with HOs.

1 Like

What use is that to the HO?

Anyway, it does not mean much. Maybe I had sent a picture of a friend’s passport.

My advice is to never give your personal identificatin to anyone without good reason. These IDs contain address, date of birth, sometimes even SS#! If someone needed this information for verifying who you are, they honestly should not be on this site. You have paid good money to be “verified” and background checked. There is too much identity theft to share your documents for not official reasons to people who have no need for them. It is not likely there is an agreement on how your information will be used or stored.

Just from a personal, physical, and cyber security standpoint, this is not a good idea.

2 Likes

Please don’t put your own security at risk for a pet/house sit. If this makes you feel uncomfortable (and it does not sound like a reason was given), don’t do it!

Ah, that makes sense, thanks. Most likely that would be for any damage to the property / vet bills resulting from negligence by the sitter? For the former, if the HO is Standard or Premium, the Home and Contents Plan cover should take over in that instance. And I presume a negligence claim would have to go through THS anyway. So still no concrete need for a sitter’s proof of address (but yes, I’m sure most HOs wouldn’t be reassured by this.)

Is he new too @lesserna? It’s often a friend who puts doubt in an HOs mind about having sitters (especially new ones, not your fault). You could say “do you know all sitters have been ID checked by THS?” And see what he says, you could say “Of course I can and I’d appreciate you also sharing your ID with me so we are both comfortable” whatever works for you, it’s not a necessity but it’s not uncommon either. #itsuptoyou

6 Likes

If it makes you feel uncomfortable then don’t do it obviously but if that was the case then you would have disregarded the sit by now, and if you don’t give the details you are unlikely to get the trust of the HO’s to give you the sit in the first place. But it is hugely unlikely you are risking your own security because sitters get the full address details of the pet owners, whereas HO’s get don’t get full details about the sitters, those details stay with THS. It’s an unbalance.