HO asking me for documents

Sitters obviously have to have the HOs address, that is a requirement to do the sit. As a US based sitter, I’ve had my ID verified and I’ve also had a criminal background check. The HOs have not done either of those. That is a major imbalance. When I sit HOs have my full name, my email address, my phone number/WhatsApp number in addition to knowing I’ve been ID verified and background checked. I don’t see why they would also need a copy of my ID (with all the additional info on that ID which does pose a security risk). In every sit I’ve done, the HOs knew far more about me than I know about them. I’ve done sits where I didn’t even know the HOs last name.

1 Like

It is the HO that takes much larger risks.

1 Like

USA??? The OP’s original message didn’t mention where she was from, so you can’t presume she’s in the US. There’s a lot of sitters outside of the USA, and the OP mentioned ‘ID and proof of address’ which is a phrase the UK always use & other places too. I know it gets used in the states too, but typically worded in different ways too, background checked etc. It’s the HO that is the one that needs to consider trust more in my opinion, and I am entitled to my opinion to try to offer help to the OP from my perspective, that is what this platform is for. You can disagree, but the OP didn’t mention the US at all, we all have no idea where they are from, so all we can do is offer our thoughts.

1 Like

I think @systaran mentioned that they were from the US because the US is the only country where sitters can get a background check. The background check isn’t available in other countries, and I think they were just making that clear.

I believe I am also entitled to my opinion. I don’t think HOs need a copy of a sitter’s ID and in my 40 sits no HO has ever asked for it, so it does not seem to be the norm.

4 Likes

@systaran I would also have serious reservations about providing a copy of my ID. I hold several UK DBS checks for work and volunteering, and even they don’t require a copy of my ID, the organisation just needs to see it and enter some data from it onto the Government DBS system. So while I might be happy to show a host my ID, once I understood the purpose of the request, I wouldn’t send them a copy unless it was absolutely necessary.

I am possibly more careful because data protection is very important in my work.

1 Like

Yes I totally agree it definitely isn’t the norm, we’ve done almost 30 and no-one has ever asked us for ID either, which is why I think that perhaps there may be a reason in this scenario. Maybe overseas flights are involved, or maybe they just don’t give enough details about themselves in their profile, who knows, the OP hasn’t been back to clarify anything as yet. But yes, it is not the norm to ask for ID.

2 Likes

You make a good point. Every country is different and each has their own laws and how things are done. While the US allows private companies to process the personal information someone provides to submit to a background check up to the date they submit, some countries allow only governments or select businesses to have the information of a private individual and those may be required to follow strict privacy rules. Those who reside in those countries know how this works, and they in turn may ask for the ID of someone staying in their home in the event of an emergency where police or ambulance may be needed, etc. Some things are not always because of lack of trust, but because it’s how things may be done there. It’s up to the sitter to ask more questions of the host so they can have a greater comfort level or not.

2 Likes

It does bother me when the HOs asks for a copy of a passport -Yes, especially when we’ve gone through background checks and we know nothing about them. Depending on how much we want the sit we can decline providing a copy or provide a copy but in any case that still changes the dynamic of the sit. When we decide to provide a copy, it is through a view only, password protected file which provides a little more security. To put your mind at ease these days any hotel requires an ID at check-in. They often take your ID to the back to scan it or make a copy. We don’t have much control there, they can do anything they want with that copy/information.

1 Like

This is indeed a rare request but it’s reasonable. The owner asked me before my first sit when I didn’t have any reviews.

If something were to go terribly wrong, he doesn’t want to have to rely on the website to be the middle-man.

2 Likes

Worth considering that sometimes it’s better to have a middle man, because if things go awry and one or either of the parties turns out to be aggressive or otherwise toxic, you might be better off with a mediator or buffer. That’s especially so if sits / sitters are local.

I offer to pay for my sitter’s parking pass if needed, however, my town requires a pic of their drivers license and registration info.

Otherwise, they can park at a meter for $10 a day. A pass can be $30 for the month.

I give my sitters the option. I one sitter decline the sit as she wasn’t comfortable giving that info and she didn’t want to park at a meter.

One sitter was fine parking at a meter.

Everyone needs to do what they feel comfortable with as long as there is transparency.

If you want to decline, decline

6 Likes

This thread is a good example: Broken clutch - #8 by longlegs1

2 Likes

I’d ask why they want the ID and address. THS has it for sitters, not HO’s.

The only time I was asked for ID by HO’s (after the sit was confirmed and I was in the home), the HO’s clearly stated it was so they had an address to serve me papers if there was damage in their home. Really awkward. Plus, Sitters are Guests so, unless the damage is intentional, it would be covered by their HO’s insurance. I’ll add that I declined providing my ID.

2 Likes

That is not obvious. In many jurisdictions the guest would be liable and then it would be the guest’s liability insurance.

I have been asked to provide proof that I had liability insurance for a sit.

Perhaps I should have noted U.S. However, I’d be curious what liability insurance would carryover (assume as a HO or renter) to another persons property. The only case I know of carryover in the U.S. is auto insurance. If you drive someone else’s vehicle your own auto insurance may cover damages, depending on the policy.

I am no expert on this. But I assume that if I had been invited for dinner here in Sweden at friends and I would spill red wine in their expensive white couch, that I would be liable and that my insurance would cover that.

It is called here drulleförsäkring, clumsiness insurance. “Everybody” has it. It makes it easy to resolve such issues.

Edit: liability when driving someone else’s motor vehicle would not be included in this.

3 Likes

I absolutely love the idea of clumsiness insurance!

4 Likes

@pietkuip Unfortunately, we don’t have that type of insurance in the US. If I had a guest in my home and they broke something, I would need to file a claim on my homeowners insurance. Same with my car, if I let a friend drive my car and they damaged it, I would file a claim on my car insurance.

1 Like

Hello everyone! Sorry for the late late reply :sweat: but im here to clarify your doubts!

1. I didn’t take this petsit because the HO was being suspicious since the beginning and I wasn’t feeling comfortable with him and his “no trust” attitude.
  2. I’m currently petisitting another house, I’m taking care of 6 flurry babies! :heart_eyes: :heartbeat:
  3. Last but not least, thank you all for your tips and advices, as a newbie there’s too many things that I don’t understand, but I’m having the best adventure and experience taking care of these beautiful dogs.
9 Likes